Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2023 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The more you talk, the more I get pumped up about our chances.
    And he really is talking some s**t these days LOL
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The Sox will be a 4th or 5th place team and you know it
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think the projection of 4th place is not absurd, but it assumes none of the big 3, NYY, TOR and TBR decline much in 2023.

I see a ton of upside with the Sox- perhaps more than some of the teams ranked ahead of them, but of course there is a ton of downside, too.

Don't be shocked, if we give you guys a run or finish in 2nd place.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

No one is saying the Red Sox are going to be good, but at least they're different, and going into a new season that has to be better.

The Yankees that finished the regular season 38-39 and got swept in the playoffs by Houston are just a year older.

The fate of both clubs just may rely on similar hopes for health from injury-prone pitchers and contributions from a few promising youngsters.

I'm well aware of that possibility. But there's no need to be obnoxious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The Yankees that finished the regular season 38-39 and got swept in the playoffs by Houston are just a year older.
    If you count that sweep and the 3-2 win over CLE, they ended the season at 41-45, and yet these Yankee fans are gloating, like they are defending champs, or something.

Yes, projections have them rightfully ranked ahead of us and other ALE teams, but talk about question marks and relying on dubious or injury-prone players. Their list is about as long as ours. The difference is they have 2-3 solid studs in Judge, Cole and maybe Stanton to our one (Devers), but the rest are pretty much as questionable as our and other ALE teams have.

Cole: He's let up 9 ERs in his last 20 IP in the postseason. His 3.84 ERA/3.90 FIP over his last 22 starts of 2022 is pretty good, but it does not match:
    2.50/2.64 in 2019
    2.84/3.89 in 2020
    3.23/2.92 in 2021
    2.78/2.56 in his first 11 starts of 2022
    He turns 33, this year.

Judge just had perhaps the best season since Barroid Bonds, and it will be hard for him to repeat that at age 31.

Stanton has put together 2 seasons in a row with 450+ PAs at an .821 OPS. He's 33, and these are the 3 Yankee "givens."

Now, the questionables:

Rodon: He just turned 30 and might have the best starts for a SP'er since 2021, so why is he a question mark? Well, 310 IP in the last 2 seasons is not spectacular, and his record before 2021 can be frightening, depending on what stretch you choose to look at. 9 games started '19-'20 (5.74 ERA). His career numbers before 2021 were fine, but not great (4.14 ERA in 92 GS'd from '15-'20.)
    Kluber '15-'20: 134 GS 3.07 ERA
    C Sale '15-'20: 147 GS 3.21 ERA
    Paxton '15-'20: 119 GS 3.72 ERA
    Now, I'd be a hypocrite to say the last 2 years don't mean as much as the previous 6 years, but previous years do matter.

Cortes: This kid looks like the real deal, and at age 28, one could rightfully argue he is not in the "questionable category." He's had an awesome 42 starts over the last 2 seasons with a 2.61 ERA, so why am I calling doubt to his projection? Kind of a small sample size.

Severino: Soon to be just 29, this guy's GS'd record since 2018 is worse than Sale & Paxton, yet somehow, Yankee fans brush off Sale & Paxton while having high hopes for Sevy. . 2019-2022:
    22 GS 2.85 ERA (Much better ERA, but way fewer starts)
    36 GS 4.09 Sale
    35 GS 4.18 Paxton

Montas, German, Schmidt: Some nice depth, but some are hurt and others are up and downers.

Holmes: He's had a nice season and a half run, and like Cortes, is close to being off the questionable list, but it's only been his last 93 IP that have been impressive. He was stunning over his first 38 outings in 2022 (0.46 ERA), but his ending raises questions: 24 games
    5.92 ERA/ 4.59 FIP and .748 OPSA

Loaisiga: He's been a pretty good pitcher for 3 years, but nothing all that great (3.05 ERA/3.21 FIP). Unlike most Yankee pitchers, he did very well after Aug 22, but pretty much sucked over the first 4 months of the season.

Peralta: He's had a couple very good seasons with the Yanks

Trivino: He finished strongly for the Yanks, but was very unreliable before that.

Kahnle, Marinaccio, King, Weissert, Abreu, DGarcia: Meh.

Catchers: Trevino & Higgy: .655 team catching OPS in 2022. Good D, though, but these guys are not a net plus.

1B: Rizzo turns 34, this year. He has done well with the Yanks 0.804 OPS), but he was showing serious decline since his great 2019 season, except for '22:
    .755 2020
    .792 2021
    .817 2022

2B: Torres/LeMahieu: Torres has been trade bait for a couple years and for good reason. He's never come close to how he looked from '18-'19. He's had a .730 OPS over the last 3 seasons.

3B: Donaldson/LeMahieu: Josh is a 37 year old cancer growth. DJ is no where near who he was in 2020. He turns 35, this summer and has a .721 OPS since 2021.

SS: Kiner-Falefa: Good glove: .642 OPS. Nuff said.

LF: Hicks/Cabrera (Stanton): LOL!

CF: Bader: Pretty good get by Cashman, but losing Montgomery was horrible. He turns 29, this year and hit .650 in 2022, while playing just over half a season. He's never had more than 427 PAs in a ML season, and that was back n 2018.

RF: Judge: He's great, but is highly unlikely to improve or even repeat 2022.

DH: Stanton (Donaldson): Stanton slipped to .759 in 2022 at age 32. That's about a hundred points lower than his previous worst season as a rookie baCk in 2010. Once could say he is a question and nasty or Clay are not.

Last edited by moonslav59; 02-19-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If you count that sweep and the 3-2 win over CLE, they ended the season at 41-45, and yet these Yankee fans are gloating, like they are defending champs, or something.

I'd say it's more optimism than anything, at least in my case. On paper they're bringing back basically the same team as last year that at its best played like the #1 team in the league, and at its worst played like a mediocre team. Nobody knows how things will play out but the thought of our players staying healthy and playing up to their potential (like they did in the first half of last season) is exciting, and like all fan bases we're looking forward to the youngsters getting more playing time and hoping they live up to their prospect hype.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I'd say it's more optimism than anything, at least in my case. On paper they're bringing back basically the same team as last year that at its best played like the #1 team in the league, and at its worst played like a mediocre team. Nobody knows how things will play out but the thought of our players staying healthy and playing up to their potential (like they did in the first half of last season) is exciting, and like all fan bases we're looking forward to the youngsters getting more playing time and hoping they live up to their prospect hype.
    Fair enough. Nothing is a given in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Yanks are bringing back a better team for 2023. Rodon is a definite upgrade to this rotation. He slots into Montgomery's slot from last year. People seem to forget Montgomery was a solid back end guy with NY. He did to go StL and light it up, but in NY he was a serviceable 4 or 5. Rodon has been CY candidate the last two years, so pairing him with Cole at the top is a big upgrade. Outside of Montas, they enter 2023 pretty healthy. We got a good year out of Sevy and he is unscathed right now making the rotation 4 top notch starters deep. Cortes strained a hammy but he's already pitching again.

On defense, we add a true blue GG CFer in Bader who pushed Judge back to his GG position in RF. Cabrera in LF and his defensive prowess turns a stretch OF into a lockdown defensive outfield. Lemahieu starts out healthy. He and Donaldson will cover the defensive game at 3b well as they both are GG caliber infielders. IKF and Peraza at SS should turn that position into a defensive plus. Rizzo and Trevino are defensive pluses. Torres is the only defensive minus on the field.

On the offensive side is where we have some concerns. Adding Bader and subbing out Hicks should help. Adding Cabrera and subbing out our rotating door of shit in LF could help or he could be the next kid to pop and then fade and we need to replace him. Peraza should push IKF out of the position at some point and upgrade the O from that position. The removal of the shift should help the bigger bashers in 2023. Rizzo should see a jump in his BA. Stanton should see a bump as well. The biggest question I have is, will the removal of the shift have these guys aiming to make more contact? Once the shift was prevalent, the bigger bombers altered launch angle and saw enormous jumps in K's. If we move back to a more contact driven approach, we could see some positive offensive results. Then again, this lineup has proven to go dormant against good pitching. I know most lineups can go dormant against good pitching, but the Yanks can go from league leading run totals to frustratingly impotent for prolonged stretches. I still question if they have the personnel to win the big games against the big pitchers. But I have little doubt that this team, if reasonably healthy, should run away with this division
    Hal sucks

Yanks are bringing back a better team for 2023. Rodon is a definite upgrade to this rotation. He slots into Montgomery's slot from last year. People seem to forget Montgomery was a solid back end guy with NY. He did to go StL and light it up, but in NY he was a serviceable 4 or 5. Rodon has been CY candidate the last two years, so pairing him with Cole at the top is a big upgrade. Outside of Montas, they enter 2023 pretty healthy. We got a good year out of Sevy and he is unscathed right now making the rotation 4 top notch starters deep. Cortes strained a hammy but he's already pitching again.

On defense, we add a true blue GG CFer in Bader who pushed Judge back to his GG position in RF. Cabrera in LF and his defensive prowess turns a stretch OF into a lockdown defensive outfield. Lemahieu starts out healthy. He and Donaldson will cover the defensive game at 3b well as they both are GG caliber infielders. IKF and Peraza at SS should turn that position into a defensive plus. Rizzo and Trevino are defensive pluses. Torres is the only defensive minus on the field.

On the offensive side is where we have some concerns. Adding Bader and subbing out Hicks should help. Adding Cabrera and subbing out our rotating door of shit in LF could help or he could be the next kid to pop and then fade and we need to replace him. Peraza should push IKF out of the position at some point and upgrade the O from that position. The removal of the shift should help the bigger bashers in 2023. Rizzo should see a jump in his BA. Stanton should see a bump as well. The biggest question I have is, will the removal of the shift have these guys aiming to make more contact? Once the shift was prevalent, the bigger bombers altered launch angle and saw enormous jumps in K's. If we move back to a more contact driven approach, we could see some positive offensive results. Then again, this lineup has proven to go dormant against good pitching. I know most lineups can go dormant against good pitching, but the Yanks can go from league leading run totals to frustratingly impotent for prolonged stretches. I still question if they have the personnel to win the big games against the big pitchers. But I have little doubt that this team, if reasonably healthy, should run away with this division
    It's always been about health for you guys, over the last half decade or more.

I'm not sure you can expect the same as 2022 from Rizzo & Donaldson. Judge will have a hard time repeating, too.

Your offense is suspect. Your pen is not as loaded as it has been, in recent years.

I project first place for you guys, but I do not think it's a lock.

Our pen is absolutely loaded. Our issue in the pen is two fold.

1. We have one lefty in Peralta, and while he was awesome vs lefties last year, he is usually better vs righties
    2. We have Boone managing it. Boone manages the regular season like we are in the World Series, especially early on. He rides the hot hand until they break. He needs to be a little less win at all costs early on to preserve Holmes, king et al.

I do agree our offense can be suspect. We will demolish bad or average pitching. We struggle against high powered arms and that has to change
    Hal sucks

Chatter that Schmidt is the leader right now for the 5th spot in the rotation
    Hal sucks

Chatter that Schmidt is the leader right now for the 5th spot in the rotation
    No doubt. Yankee fans will support this wholeheartedly until he throws his first clunker.

Volpe is apparently making a big impression with the Yankees coaching staff. His hot start hasnt hurt. I find it VERY unlikely he breaks camp with the Yanks, but I do think he makes his debut this year. More likely, I think, is IKF starts as the SS and Peraza overtakes him. I think Volpe will be promoted to start at 2b when the Yanks deal off Torres for whatever other help they will need, likely in the OF, IMO
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Every team has up and downs. Good teams and bad teams. You can say they went xx-xx for just about any team. To meh Cabrera is pretty crazy. Oswaldo imo if he played a full season in the of could be the 2nd best of behind judge between the yankees and red sox. He's got great defense and his bat is solid and he has some untapped power points. He may not be a hall of fame but he's exactly the kind of guy the yankees need.