Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2023 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Trevino out for the year.
    He has been terrible at the plate this year and only average on defense, so I don't think it's a big loss. I'm actually glad Rorvedt will get a chance, and hopefully now Austin Wells can move up to AAA.

This team is unwatchable. I hope they sell off

They’re still trying to bring Judge back. Have his surgery and make sure he’s right for 24. This season is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    [B]If you count that sweep and the 3-2 win over CLE, they ended the season at 41-45, and yet these Yankee fans are gloating, like they are defending champs, or something.

Yes, projections have them rightfully ranked ahead of us and other ALE teams, but talk about question marks and relying on dubious or injury-prone players. Their list is about as long as ours. The difference is they have 2-3 solid studs in Judge, Cole and maybe Stanton to our one (Devers), but the rest are pretty much as questionable as our and other ALE teams have.

Cole: He's let up 9 ERs in his last 20 IP in the postseason. His 3.84 ERA/3.90 FIP over his last 22 starts of 2022 is pretty good, but it does not match:
    2.50/2.64 in 2019
    2.84/3.89 in 2020
    3.23/2.92 in 2021
    2.78/2.56 in his first 11 starts of 2022
    He turns 33, this year.

Judge just had perhaps the best season since Barroid Bonds, and it will be hard for him to repeat that at age 31.

Stanton has put together 2 seasons in a row with 450+ PAs at an .821 OPS. He's 33, and these are the 3 Yankee "givens."

Now, the questionables:

Rodon: He just turned 30 and might have the best starts for a SP'er since 2021, so why is he a question mark? Well, 310 IP in the last 2 seasons is not spectacular, and his record before 2021 can be frightening, depending on what stretch you choose to look at. 9 games started '19-'20 (5.74 ERA). His career numbers before 2021 were fine, but not great (4.14 ERA in 92 GS'd from '15-'20.)
    Kluber '15-'20: 134 GS 3.07 ERA
    C Sale '15-'20: 147 GS 3.21 ERA
    Paxton '15-'20: 119 GS 3.72 ERA
    Now, I'd be a hypocrite to say the last 2 years don't mean as much as the previous 6 years, but previous years do matter.

Cortes: This kid looks like the real deal, and at age 28, one could rightfully argue he is not in the "questionable category." He's had an awesome 42 starts over the last 2 seasons with a 2.61 ERA, so why am I calling doubt to his projection? Kind of a small sample size.

Severino: Soon to be just 29, this guy's GS'd record since 2018 is worse than Sale & Paxton, yet somehow, Yankee fans brush off Sale & Paxton while having high hopes for Sevy. . 2019-2022:
    22 GS 2.85 ERA (Much better ERA, but way fewer starts)
    36 GS 4.09 Sale
    35 GS 4.18 Paxton

Montas, German, Schmidt: Some nice depth, but some are hurt and others are up and downers.

Holmes: He's had a nice season and a half run, and like Cortes, is close to being off the questionable list, but it's only been his last 93 IP that have been impressive. He was stunning over his first 38 outings in 2022 (0.46 ERA), but his ending raises questions: 24 games
    5.92 ERA/ 4.59 FIP and .748 OPSA

Loaisiga: He's been a pretty good pitcher for 3 years, but nothing all that great (3.05 ERA/3.21 FIP). Unlike most Yankee pitchers, he did very well after Aug 22, but pretty much sucked over the first 4 months of the season.

Peralta: He's had a couple very good seasons with the Yanks

Trivino: He finished strongly for the Yanks, but was very unreliable before that.

Kahnle, Marinaccio, King, Weissert, Abreu, DGarcia: Meh.

Catchers: Trevino & Higgy: .655 team catching OPS in 2022. Good D, though, but these guys are not a net plus.

1B: Rizzo turns 34, this year. He has done well with the Yanks 0.804 OPS), but he was showing serious decline since his great 2019 season, except for '22:
    .755 2020
    .792 2021
    .817 2022

2B: Torres/LeMahieu: Torres has been trade bait for a couple years and for good reason. He's never come close to how he looked from '18-'19. He's had a .730 OPS over the last 3 seasons.

3B: Donaldson/LeMahieu: Josh is a 37 year old cancer growth. DJ is no where near who he was in 2020. He turns 35, this summer and has a .721 OPS since 2021.

SS: Kiner-Falefa: Good glove: .642 OPS. Nuff said.

LF: Hicks/Cabrera (Stanton): LOL!

CF: Bader: Pretty good get by Cashman, but losing Montgomery was horrible. He turns 29, this year and hit .650 in 2022, while playing just over half a season. He's never had more than 427 PAs in a ML season, and that was back n 2018.

RF: Judge: He's great, but is highly unlikely to improve or even repeat 2022.

DH: Stanton (Donaldson): Stanton slipped to .759 in 2022 at age 32. That's about a hundred points lower than his previous worst season as a rookie baCk in 2010. Once could say he is a question and nasty or Clay are not.
    I think my Yankee predictions look closer than my Sox ones.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

This team sucks

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This team sucks
    Lovely.
    WAR is good for something.

Still only like 4 games back. I don't know how they can get a spark to start winning again, but it's theoretically possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Still only like 4 games back. I don't know how they can get a spark to start winning again, but it's theoretically possible.
    I thought the return of Judge might spark a fire, but the team is totally lethargic.

Watched some of the Yankee game last night. Boone looks bewitched, bothered and bewildered. Popping sunflower seeds like crazy.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Watched some of the Yankee game last night. Boone looks bewitched, bothered and bewildered. Popping sunflower seeds like crazy.
    Those were methamphetamines…

German is out on alcohol rehab.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    German is out on alcohol rehab.
    A paragon of virtue. Throwing a perfect game could not have happened to a nicer guy.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    A paragon of virtue. Throwing a perfect game could not have happened to a nicer guy.
    Just in time for the Astros series!

Seems German just couldn’t watch this team anymore. Many rehabs are full of die hard Yankee fans this year

A couple of observations to enlighten Yankees fans.

1. How has the Sean Casey hiring worked out?
    2. I finally found a good comp for Anthony Volope = he is the second coming of Wally Backman
    3. What Yankees fans don't realize is that Aaron Judge is not a winning player and shouldn't be captain. First, remember how he sucked in the postseason last year? Judge chokes in big spots. Second, Judge couldn't play through a minor toe injury? Instead, Judge takes a 2 month vacation, blaming his sore toe, while the Yankees fall from contention. That isn't acceptable and a winning player would never do that. If Judge had a toe injury in 2022, you can be certain he would have played through it when he was playing for his mega-contract. Judge is a me-first player who doesn't care about the overall good of the team, that is very, very obvious.

That's all I got for now, Yankees fans. Enjoy last place.