Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller And Clement?

Miller has been impressive when he's been healthy. Clement's record would have been much better with more run support. In my opinion, the rotation is deeper and better now even with Pedro being gone. I'm still wondering about Wells...that could be interesting. :thumbsup:
    "A man has to have goals - for a day, for a lifetime - and that was mine, to have people say, 'There goes Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived.'"---Ted Williams

I agree with you, we're much deeper and we have a higher probability of winning every game consistently. The rotation may not be better, per say, but it seems deeper and it has the potential to win us a lot of games. Every one could win 13 games, easy.

And welcome to the site by the way.

All-Star
    true, good point fellas...I think we have vastly improved our pitching...now the dust has settled and that creep pedro is gone, it can be said that we are better off now with this staff without him than we were with him.

I think wells is going to flourish for this year. team and the chimstryin the clubhouse are right up his alley.

Theo has done a great job, and the pedro think couldnt have happend any better.

Clement is a gem. and Miller could be the pick up ogf the offseason if he's healthyBronson will be better than last year, and I think wake will be able to sevrie in any role.

All that remains is first base!!

Double A
    If Miller comes back from the rotater cuff injury, if Wells back holds up, if Schilling only misses a few starts then we'll be in good shape. I love the bullpen with the additions of Halama and Mantei.
    2004 World Champions

All-Star
    good point--our bullpen is looking strong too...except for embree (had to get that in there for old time sake)..

halama, mantei are the kind of pick-ups that dont get a lot of publicity but those guys are going to keep you in games and win them for you.

Chriust, I'm getting excited, when do the pitchers and cathers report....Feb something?"

Originally posted by sarasoxfan@Dec 27 2004, 01:27 PM
    goog point--our bullpen is looking strong too...except for embree (had to get that in there for old time sake)..

halama, mantei are the kind of pick-ups that dont get a lot of publicity but those guys are going to keep you in games and win them for you.

Chriust, I'm getting excited, when do the pitchers and cathers report....Feb something?"
    Halama, Miller, and Mantei are all low risk, high reward moves, which is nice. If they don't live up to expectations, they won't be a drag on the payroll and Theo can persue replacements mid-season. If they do live up to expectations, this team will have good pitching again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If healthy, Wade Miller CAN replace Pedro's 2004 performance. That makes the rotation better than last year:

Schilling = Schilling
    Miller (healthy) = Martinez
    Clement > Lowe
    Wells > Arroyo
    Wakefield = Wakefield

Arroyo > ANY 6th starter the Red Sox have had in a LONG time.

The bullpen lost a few arms that made minimal contributions in 04 (Leskanic, Mendoza, Williamson and Myers) but added a couple arms (Mantei, Halama, and potentially Arroyo/Wakefield).

Overall, another arm for the bullpen might help ease my worries.... but I'm very excited about the potential for the 2005 Red Sox.

With Miller, Wells and Clement question marks, this rotation is slightly weaker than 2004. However, if these guys can contribute... that makes this pitching staff A LOT better, and A LOT deeper...
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

I don't really like Halama that much. I know my opinion isn't based on that much because I only saw him when we and the Yankees played him but when I did seeh im he got murdered every time. Also I'm not ready to say that Miller=Pedro. Lets not forget Pedro had 20+ quality starts last year where MIller didn't even pitch. When Miller is healthy he's great, but I'm not ready to put him in the same boat as Pedro.
    "These guys need to make a descision right now, are they gonna be winners? Or are they gonna be like Alex Rodriguez?" -Dickie V during Pitt vs. Uconn

Major Leaguer
    I like Halama. He has a 2.64 ERA out of the bullpen in the last three years and 2.42 (around there, maybe it was 2.46) last year out of the bullpen.

Originally posted by BoSox Rule@Dec 27 2004, 10:24 PM
    I like Halama. He has a 2.64 ERA out of the bullpen in the last three years and 2.42 (around there, maybe it was 2.46) last year out of the bullpen.
    I'm just going with what I've seen form him.
    "These guys need to make a descision right now, are they gonna be winners? Or are they gonna be like Alex Rodriguez?" -Dickie V during Pitt vs. Uconn

Originally posted by elsrbueno+Dec 27 2004, 02:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elsrbueno @ Dec 27 2004, 02:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sarasoxfan@Dec 27 2004, 01:27 PM
    goog point--our bullpen is looking strong too...except for embree (had to get that in there for old time sake)..

Chriust, I&#39;m getting excited, when do the pitchers and cathers report....Feb something?"
    Halama, Miller, and Mantei are all low risk, high reward moves, which is nice. If they don&#39;t live up to expectations, they won&#39;t be a drag on the payroll and Theo can persue replacements mid-season. If they do live up to expectations, this team will have good pitching again.

I&#39;ve said it before and I&#39;ll say it again: If healthy, Wade Miller CAN replace Pedro&#39;s 2004 performance. That makes the rotation better than last year:

Schilling = Schilling
    Miller (healthy) = Martinez
    Clement > Lowe
    Wells > Arroyo
    Wakefield = Wakefield

Arroyo > ANY 6th starter the Red Sox have had in a LONG time.

The bullpen lost a few arms that made minimal contributions in 04 (Leskanic, Mendoza, Williamson and Myers) but added a couple arms (Mantei, Halama, and potentially Arroyo/Wakefield).

Overall, another arm for the bullpen might help ease my worries.... but I&#39;m very excited about the potential for the 2005 Red Sox.

With Miller, Wells and Clement question marks, this rotation is slightly weaker than 2004. However, if these guys can contribute... that makes this pitching staff A LOT better, and A LOT deeper... [/b][/quote]
    I think that your comparisons are mostly right but:

Schilling = Schilling
    Wells < Pedro
    Clement > Lowe
    Miller > Arroyo
    Wakefield = Wakefield

05&#39; Bullpen > 04&#39; Bullpen

It&#39;s really close but here the 05&#39; rotation edges out. I&#39;m not really sure about the bullpen part though, els or someone can make comparisons for the players in the bullpen. But I&#39;d say we easily have a better one this year by adding Halama, Mantei, and Arroyo to it.

Do we still have Timlin?

Major Leaguer
    I&#39;ll never understand why anybody thinks Wakefield should start over Arroyo.

Look at my posts in the other forums, I&#39;ve agreed with you the whole time. I was just fixing els&#39; post.

In the others I&#39;ve said a million times to start Arroyo. He&#39;s obviously good and we should get him ready for the oncoming years. Plus noone can hit Wakes knuckle after seeing one of our speedy starters.

I agree people would have a hard time hitting the knuckle right after a Schilling fire ball.

I don&#39;t think the Wakefield starting after a power pitcher has much relevance. I think that the time between games is long enough to adjust. Now if Wakefield relieved Schilling or someone in the middle of a game, then hitters may have a tough time adjusting.

Major Leaguer
    I&#39;m pretty sure they were talking about him coming in the game after Schilling...