Register now to remove this ad

Page 186 of 668 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 10016

Thread: Red Sox: Off Season '23-'24

  1. #2776
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Doesn’t matter what any of us think. He’s getting $100mill from someone…
    I’ll agree with that.

  2. #2777
    CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    You guys can Pooh, Pooh W-L records all you want like they don’t mean anything at all, and I never said they mean everything, but they do mean something. Just, because the Red Sox are in desperate need of SP, and he’s available doesn’t mean that now all of a sudden he’s better than he really is, and the Red Sox should try, and grab him. We disagree on what to call him, or if he’s worth the money, but no big deal.
    W-L records are BS. Montgomery is a damn good pitcher, and should be their number 2 acquisition.
    WAR is good for something.

  3. #2778
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes. Don't you old schoolers like innings and ERA too?

    Jon Lester was on 3 teams in 2 years, 2014 and 2015. Did that mean he sucked? Journeyman Jon?
    Monty has been compared to Scherzer, and now Lester, and he’s not as good as either one.

  4. #2779
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    41,571
    Atlanta just signed Reynaldo Lopez for $30mill over 3 years.

    Lopez pitched for 3 teams last year alone. That pushes him past “journeyman” straight into “slut”…

  5. #2780
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    41,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Monty has been compared to Scherzer, and now Lester, and he’s not as good as either one.
    Montgomery was only compared to them in terms of frequent team changes, which seems to be one of only two things you hold against him.

    This was very evident from the context of both statements…

  6. #2781
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Atlanta just signed Reynaldo Lopez for $30mill over 3 years.

    Lopez pitched for 3 teams last year alone. That pushes him past “journeyman” straight into “slut”…
    If the Red Sox could get Monty for $30M over 3 years I’m in.

  7. #2782
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Montgomery was only compared to them in terms of frequent team changes, which seems to be one of only two things you hold against him.

    This was very evident from the context of both statements…
    I understand that, but still bad comparisons.

  8. #2783
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    41,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    If the Red Sox could get Monty for $30M over 3 years I’m in.
    And if they could get Trout for $30mill over 3, everyone would love it as well. But they can’t. Montgomery is going to top $100mill. It’s just a question of who is paying.

  9. #2784
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    41,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I understand that, but still bad comparisons.
    You clearly didn’t…

  10. #2785
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    66,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    You guys can Pooh, Pooh W-L records all you want like they don’t mean anything at all, and I never said they mean everything, but they do mean something. Just, because the Red Sox are in desperate need of SP, and he’s available doesn’t mean that now all of a sudden he’s better than he really is, and the Red Sox should try, and grab him. We disagree on what to call him, or if he’s worth the money, but no big deal.
    7 of the top 20 pitchers over the past 3 years averaged 10 or less wins per year. Pitchers must really suck these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

  11. #2786
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    7 of the top 20 pitchers over the past 3 years averaged 10 or less wins per year. Pitchers must really suck these days.
    Now you’re finally getting it.🙈

  12. #2787
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    41,571
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    7 of the top 20 pitchers over the past 3 years averaged 10 or less wins per year. Pitchers must really suck these days.
    No one is even saying Montgomery is a great pitcher. He’s a (I hate this undefined terminology) #2 pitcher.

    But nowadays, the #2 guy does often command a $100mill contract…

  13. #2788
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    66,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Now you’re finally getting it.��
    If the best pitchers kinda suck, owners will need to pay top dollar on kinda sucky pitchers. That's just the economics of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

  14. #2789
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No one is even saying Montgomery is a great pitcher. He’s a (I hate this undefined terminology) #2 pitcher.

    But nowadays, the #2 guy does often command a $100mill contract…
    If that’s the case That just show how far #2 pitchers have fallen.

  15. #2790
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,410
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If the best pitchers kinda suck, owners will need to pay top dollar on kinda sucky pitchers. That's just the economics of the game.
    I understand that point just like ticket prices go up every year to help pay for it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •