Register now to remove this ad

Page 636 of 668 FirstFirst ... 136536586626634635636637638646 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,540 of 10016

Thread: Red Sox: Off Season '23-'24

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I hope Rafaela does not make the 26 unless he is going to play every day. Dalbec is an acceptable OF backup, simply because backups don't play all that often. If Refsnyder can start 38 games in LF, Dalbec cannot be too much of a step down from that, if one at all...
    Dalbec should never start an OF game, unless 2 OF'ers got hurt, so quickly, nobody could be called up.

I'd start Yoshida and ref in the OF over Dalbec. (DH Dalbec over Yoshi.)

I just don't see the utility value in Dalbec. Plus, he sucks on D, even at 1B.

I agree on Rafaela playing nearly everyday, of being in AAA. However, having him on the 26 as our FT CF'er does not prevent him from being used at 2B or SS "in an emergency," instead of Dalbec.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I must be missing something once again. Rafaela should be the starting cf for this team. He is 23 with a pretty good set of tools to work with. Duran and O'neil would be the other two out there. You have a dh to use as well. Having him in center makes us at least a little better up the middle.
    I agree. O'Neill in RF might be a little shaky, but Rafaela in CF more than makes up for that.

Deity
    I must be missing something once again. Rafaela should be the starting cf for this team. He is 23 with a pretty good set of tools to work with. Duran and O'neil would be the other two out there. You have a dh to use as well. Having him in center makes us at least a little better up the middle.

I like Duran-Rafaela-O’Neill as the starting OF.

Bench? McGuire, Reyes, Refsnyder and Dalbec is the likely bench. Although Cron and Valdez could work their way in. And frankly, a decent defensive OF might make some sense…

Some have suggested that Rafaela fill in at ss and 2b. I don't see the point. He should only play CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Bench? McGuire, Reyes, Refsnyder and Dalbec is the likely bench. Although Cron and Valdez could work their way in. And frankly, a decent defensive OF might make some sense…
    As much as I like ref's bat v LHPs, I think Abreu and Rafaela are better. However, if they will not play nearly everyday, I'd prefer they not take a utility role.

I don't think Dalbe c belongs on the 26, but I see no possible option for a back-up 1Bman, unless Ref. can learn it in a few weeks. (They aren't trying that, so it's Bobby Dee.)

McGuire is the default 2nd catcher, who has a chance to play more than Wong.

Reyes is a lock on the 26, at least to start 2024.

Deity
    As much as I like ref's bat v LHPs, I think Abreu and Rafaela are better. However, if they will not play nearly everyday, I'd prefer they not take a utility role.

I don't think Dalbe c belongs on the 26, but I see no possible option for a back-up 1Bman, unless Ref. can learn it in a few weeks. (They aren't trying that, so it's Bobby Dee.)

McGuire is the default 2nd catcher, who has a chance to play more than Wong.

Reyes is a lock on the 26, at least to start 2024.

Yeah predictable and boring.

But hey, Matt Chapman is still looking for work and can secure our infield defense…

Yeah predictable and boring.

But hey, Matt Chapman is still looking for work and can secure our infield defense…
    I think we can spend the money better, but if we traded Duran for a decent SP'er, I'd be fine with this idea.

Deity

I agree with you about that outfield. Two out of the 3 could provide excellent defense for a change out there. Who knows about the third member of the trio Duran. With his game changing potential, it would be worth it to me to stick him out there somewhere just to see what he's got. Got to do some more thinking about the bench.
    I actually am starting to see a little hope for optimism with this year's bunch. I would still like to see that one more decent arm signed. They certainly look like they could run, hit, and score!

I think we can spend the money better, but if we traded Duran for a decent SP'er, I'd be fine with this idea.
    In order to get Chapman on the roster, they'd have to trade Masa, Devers or Casas.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    In order to get Chapman on the roster, they'd have to trade Masa, Devers or Casas.
    Yoshida to LF to replace Duran works, too.

Ideally, trading Yoshida works better for defense. Maybe Duran has more upside on O, too, if baserunning is factored in, and you believe 2023 was not a fluke.

I'm not for the idea of signing any everyday player to big money over a SP'er, but if trading someone for s SP'er to make room for a FA signing is in the plan, I'm okay with it.

In theory, we could keep all plus Duran....

3B: Chapman 150 GS/ Devers 12 GS
    1B: Casas 87 GS/Devers 75 GS
    DH: Casas 70 GS/Devers 70 GS/Yoshida 22 GS
    LF: Yoshida 130 GS/ Refsnyder 32 GS/ Duran 10GS
    CF: Duran 142 GS/ Rafaela or Abreu 20 GS
    RF: O'Neill 152 GS/ Abreu 10 GS

There's more of a chance of a starting pitcher being signed at this point than Matt Chapman.......and that's saying a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity

In theory, we could keep all plus Duran....

3B: Chapman 150 GS/ Devers 12 GS
    1B: Casas 87 GS/Devers 75 GS
    DH: Casas 70 GS/Devers 70 GS/Yoshida 22 GS
    LF: Yoshida 130 GS/ Refsnyder 32 GS/ Duran 10GS
    CF: Duran 142 GS/ Rafaela or Abreu 20 GS
    RF: O'Neill 152 GS/ Abreu 10 GS
    3B: Raffy 150 GS
    1B Casas 140 GS

3B Chapman 150 GS in another uniform. 🤭🙈

I think Devers is the third baseman. Now, and for the foreseeable future.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think Devers is the third baseman. Now, and for the foreseeable future.
    We all do.