Register now to remove this ad

Page 642 of 668 FirstFirst ... 142542592632640641642643644652 ... LastLast
Results 9,616 to 9,630 of 10016

Thread: Red Sox: Off Season '23-'24

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, Giolito makes $18mill next year but his AAV is $19.25. Chapman makes $20mill, but his AAV is $18.0mill. After that, both can opt out.

As for Montgomery, mixed emotions on him following suit with Chapman and Bellinger. The Sox won’t have some insane 6-7 year deal, which is nice. But most likely it would then be a one year deal…
    I was thinking Chapman has more years, but yes, the opt out makes t0hem about the same.

I'd still take the pitcher, and the choice isn't even close.

Even if we could dump Yoshida's full deal in a trade, I'd take Gio, every day.

I'm not even a Gio fan.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Wheeler signs extension for $126M/3 ($42M x 3 years!)

@Buster_ESPN
    Zack Wheeler’s 3-year, $126 million extension is the highest annual salary for any contract extension ever.

Time for Snell and Monty to sign elsewhere and get this offseason over.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@redsoxstats
    Next winter's FA pitching class is super overrated and it's only going to get more thinned out

@LouMerloni
    I’ve heard many people say next years FA Starting pitching Class is better than this past one. We forget about extensions. Will there be better options than Ohtani, Yamamoto, Gray, Snell, Monty?? Doubt it.

@LouMerloni
    If you look, a lot of big names. Some are already over 35, even older. Some have recent injury risk. It’s not as good a class as most are making it out to be. This past class will end up being better

@tylermilliken_
    Obviously the Red Sox will need to spend if they want to sign a front end starter, but this is the best of 2025 FA class for starters:

Corbin Burnes
    Max Fried
    Max Scherzer
    Shane Bieber
    Alex Cobb
    Kyle Hendriks
    Charlie Morton
    Nick Pivetta
    John Means
    Yusei Kikuchi

Gerrit Cole has an opt-out. Justin Verlander and Nate Eovaldi a vesting option. Clayton Kershaw a player option

Maybe Roki Sasaki shakes things up if he gets his wish.

When you look at all these names, signing Montgomery as a 4-5 year piece makes too much sense. If you can get Burnes next year, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sox may have to replace Gio and Pivetta next offseason. Missing out this year because of a short term depressed budget would be a long term mistake IMO.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @tylermilliken_
    Obviously the Red Sox will need to spend if they want to sign a front end starter, but this is the best of 2025 FA class for starters:

Corbin Burnes
    Max Fried
    Max Scherzer
    Shane Bieber
    Alex Cobb
    Kyle Hendriks
    Charlie Morton
    Nick Pivetta
    John Means
    Yusei Kikuchi

Gerrit Cole has an opt-out. Justin Verlander and Nate Eovaldi a vesting option. Clayton Kershaw a player option

Maybe Roki Sasaki shakes things up if he gets his wish.

When you look at all these names, signing Montgomery as a 4-5 year piece makes too much sense. If you can get Burnes next year, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sox may have to replace Gio and Pivetta next offseason. Missing out this year because of a short term depressed budget would be a long term mistake IMO.
    If the plan really is to wait until next year, it could easily go wrong. Even the players who have not yet extended still have 8 months to do so.

If the Sox are not sold on Montgomery for some reason, I think the plan is to get another starter internally, which means more Houck and/or Whitlock and possibly Winckowski. At the very least, if that is the plan, hopefully they at a minimum backfill the vacated bullpen spot. Ryne Stanek is the best available RP still looking for work...

Wheeler signs extension for $126M/3 ($42M x 3 years!)
    That goofy Dombrowski, at it again!

Someday they'll write a book about him titled Ball Money.

It will be the blueprint for future billionaire owners to aspire to -- but only guys who inherit billions, and not some genius who thinks he's smarter than the market.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    That goofy Dombrowski, at it again!

Someday they'll write a book about him titled Ball Money.

It will be the blueprint for future billionaire owners to aspire to -- but only guys who inherit billions, and not some genius who thinks he's smarter than the market.
    The Phillies now have 7 players this year making at least $20M.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    The Phillies now have 7 players this year making at least $20M.
    I coach youth sports with a few guys from Philly, and they and their families have had a total blast the past few years rooting for the Phils and all their star players. And they're really encouraged, looking forward to another season beginning this month.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I coach youth sports with a few guys from Philly, and they and their families have had a total blast the past few years rooting for the Phils and all their star players. And they're really encouraged, looking forward to another season beginning this month.
    He probably didn’t think so at the time, but JH did DD a favor by firing him.

Next year, the Phillies will have 5 players making over $23.8M a year.

They have 8 over $18M, now.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If the plan really is to wait until next year, it could easily go wrong. Even the players who have not yet extended still have 8 months to do so.

If the Sox are not sold on Montgomery for some reason, I think the plan is to get another starter internally, which means more Houck and/or Whitlock and possibly Winckowski. At the very least, if that is the plan, hopefully they at a minimum backfill the vacated bullpen spot. Ryne Stanek is the best available RP still looking for work...
    Not great!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Not great!
    Agreed. I’d greatly prefer even Lauer over that crowd. But I’m just hoping they don’t do it half ass like they did last year and not even bother at the very least adding a reliever…

Sonny Gray to get an MRI.

BorA$$ says new teams have reached out on Snell & Monty, since ST'ing began.

Sonny Gray to get an MRI.

BorA$$ says new teams have reached out on Snell & Monty, since ST'ing began.
    New, like expansion teams? The Red Sox look like an expansion team: lots of one or two-tool position players, pitching staff of oldsters and youngsters -- but no one in his primester.