Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: 9/13 vs Yanks

  1. #31
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He got two guys out the 3rd time through. That is astep in the right direction.

    88 pitches might be on the high end. I'd hate to see him get hurt, but I would like to see, if he can get over this hurdle. (not that one game would prove anything.)
    He actually has gotten over the hurdle several times this season already.

    But I'm delighted you paid enough attention to see he already got the Yankees top two the third time through. I agree 88 pitches is a lot for a Sox pitcher, but I think Houck is healthy/tough enough to come out for the 6th.

  2. #32
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    Interesting. Right now I sure look as wrong as I can be with that leadoff double on the first pitch of the 6th inning. But the Yankees haven't scored yet.

    Excellent play by Rafaela to come over from CF to back up Abreu who missed the carom of the green monster. I haven't seen many Sox CF's do that.

  3. #33
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,156
    6 innings !!!
    Well done Houck

  4. #34
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    I think we under-value Casas's defense. He's made a couple of good plays today--the throw to 2b on the grounder when the play at first would have been easier and now fielding the grounder and throwing home despite interference from Houck.

    His one weakness is grounders, and for now I can definitely live with that because he is good at the plate.

  5. #35
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscars View Post
    6 innings !!!
    Well done Houck
    And I'm the only one who said he should at least start the 6th. I did so only because we have in fact seen Houck get guys out the third time through the lineup. He is also the most durable pitcher the Sox have.

    Enough of the phony self-congratulations. The real credit goes to Cora who made two tough calls--letting Houck start the 6th and letting him finish it--that worked.

  6. #36
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    And I'm the only one who said he should at least start the 6th. I did so only because we have in fact seen Houck get guys out the third time through the lineup. He is also the most durable pitcher the Sox have.

    Enough of the phony self-congratulations. The real credit goes to Cora who made two tough calls--letting Houck start the 6th and letting him finish it--that worked.
    A .961 OPS Against the third time through does not mean he can never get through it. Nobody has said he never can, but it has and still is a major concern.

    Today was a good sign.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  7. #37
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,311
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Ceddanne getting doubled off second on a line-drive is an organizational sign.
    No, he's a bad baserunner and makes mistakes like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  8. #38
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,311
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    You believe a $200 million player can hit over .180?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say he'll hit above .200 next season.

    You can put it on the boooooard!!!! YES!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  9. #39
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You going to change the date/time to 14 Sep, 1:35?
    We'll all be lucky if they win and I remember to do Game 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  10. #40
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    No, he's a bad baserunner and makes mistakes like this.
    I'm not saying he's a good baserunner, but am saying that double play was automatic. Any baserunner who would have been safe on that play would have been a runner with no lead. The guy on 2b is supposed to take a good lead so he can score on a single.

  11. #41
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    12,398
    This is the roll Whitlock should have right here. 6-7-8 innings set up guy. No more of that starting rotation stuff.

  12. #42
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    This is the roll Whitlock should have right here. 6-7-8 innings set up guy. No more of that starting rotation stuff.
    It's role, not roll, and the attempt to make Whitlock into a starter was not unreasonable. A starter pitchers a whole lot more innings than a reliever.

    The two key questions are: 1) can he go through a lineup 2-3 times successfully; and 2) does he have the physique to throw 80-100 pitches every 5 days?

    I think Whitlock has a better repertoire than Houck, but Houck has more durability.

  13. #43
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    12,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    It's role, not roll, and the attempt to make Whitlock into a starter was not unreasonable. A starter pitchers a whole lot more innings than a reliever.

    The two key questions are: 1) can he go through a lineup 2-3 times successfully; and 2) does he have the physique to throw 80-100 pitches every 5 days?

    I think Whitlock has a better repertoire than Houck, but Houck has more durability.
    Thanks for the correction. I can always count on you. Heís more successful in the BP, and, his durability is certainly in question as a starter, so thatís good enough for me. Iíve been beating the BP drum for two years now.

  14. #44
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    12,398
    Even Story Land opens up today.

  15. #45
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I can always count on you. He’s more successful in the BP, and, his durability is certainly in question as a starter, so that’s good enough for me. I’ve been beating the BP drum for two years now.
    His first year Whitlock was a terrific reliever, especially because he was a rule 5 steal from the Yankees. But he throws a lot of different pitches well, so his 2d and 3d seasons they gave him a shot.

    But you were right all along.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •