Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9/14 vs Yanks Game 2

Deity
    It does seem as though a lot of people are committed to the notion that Yoshida’s True Destiny is to be a MLB DH.

Do the Sox think that’s the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Pretty heavy LHH tilt. I don’t see Ref as anything but a bench player and Reyes isn’t exactly a power hitter so Duvall is our only real RH power hitter if Turner leaves as expected. Duvall is too streaky to be dependable. So we’ll still need to replace Turner with one or two RHHers with power.
    Just one of our many needs.
    Refsnyder has our best OPS vs LHPs since 2021.

Story is going to have to pick up some RH'd bat slack, but yes, Duvall and Rafaela have a lot to do to help make up for the loss of JT.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It does seem as though a lot of people are committed to the notion that Yoshida’s True Destiny is to be a MLB DH.

Probably never crossed their minds, although some new minds are coming in.
    Sox 4 Ever

That kinda knocks the wind out of the sails.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I'd trade him

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    I'd trade him
    that wouldn't hurt my feelings. a lot of money for a singles-hitting DH.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    that wouldn't hurt my feelings. a lot of money for a singles-hitting DH.
    Does everyone think trades are solely for getting rid players?

All-Star
    I’m certainly over Yoshida’s weak ground outs to 2nd base.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Probably never crossed their minds, although some new minds are coming in.
    I think you have to be a really good hitter to justify being the "regular" DH. Why? Because the DH slot gives the manager opportunities to rest other players, to get the right bats into a lineup against a given pitcher, etc. In Yoshida's case, left field at Fenway is almost perfect for him defensively because it does not put a premium on having a great arm or on having great range. Thus do Manny Ramirez and Ted Williams come to mind.

To me the real issue with Yoshida is his hitting vs. his salary, and that's exactly the issue with Story even though Story is a pretty good defensive SS.

Story's salary, just like Yoshida's, demands an .800 OPS as an absolute minimum.

Yoshida is leading the team in BA; Story is hitting around .180. Yoshida has an OPS of .793. Story is in the 500s. There is really no comparison between these two players. It reminds me of the antipathy of RS fans for A. Gonzales, also a .290s hitter who did exactly for the RS what he did everywhere he played.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I think you have to be a really good hitter to justify being the "regular" DH. Why? Because the DH slot gives the manager opportunities to rest other players, to get the right bats into a lineup against a given pitcher, etc. In Yoshida's case, left field at Fenway is almost perfect for him defensively because it does not put a premium on having a great arm or on having great range. Thus do Manny Ramirez and Ted Williams come to mind.

To me the real issue with Yoshida is his hitting vs. his salary, and that's exactly the issue with Story even though Story is a pretty good defensive SS.

Story's salary, just like Yoshida's, demands an .800 OPS as an absolute minimum.
    While true, I don't think anyone would be happy with a Duran-Refsnyder platoon at DH for a fraction of Yoshi's cost (and maybe the same cumulative OPS,)
    Sox 4 Ever

I'm the type of guy who usually does not drink at baseball games, I like to enjoy such things with a clear state of mind. But when I'm at the Tampa game on the 26th you might just find me 6-7 deep wondering around Fenway.

This is what this season has done to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.