Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9/28 Sox @ Baltimore to view winning team

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    That’s one way of looking at it, but the 2019 team started out with a similar length trip west and never really recovered from a horrific start.
    I get how the start to a season can seem to "set the tone," but it sucks to head out west in July, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscars View Post
    Rafaela is swinging at a lot of pitches out of the zone, which was the knock on him in the minors.
    I think that's kind of endemic to most Sox hitters. They don't know how to "command" the strike zone, which I think means having a good eye/feel for what's a strike and what's a ball, as well as being prepared to swing at hittable pitches in the strike zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I can see starting with a 6 game trip, but 10 is kind of ridiculous, especially with the new "balanced" schedule.
    It actually turns into a 12 game road trip including the final 2 ST games played in Texas , plus 2 travel days , one before and one after the Ranger games. The guys will be away from their regular or full season homes from mid-February until April 8.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I get how the start to a season can seem to "set the tone," but it sucks to head out west in July, too.
    The Sox did get off to a bad start in 2019, but I think it was because the rotation wasn't ready after their truncated (fewer innings pitched than usual) ST.

They did, however, have a winning record, 49-41, going into the ASG. After the ASG break, they went 35-37, which I think is when the wheels came off the rotation.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    It actually turns into a 12 game road trip including the final 2 ST games played in Texas , plus 2 travel days , one before and one after the Ranger games. The guys will be away from their regular or full season homes from mid-February until April 8.
    Big deal. Playing 2 games in Texas is a smart way to help adjust to the time zone difference. Also, if memory serves, Pedroia and other Sox players used to begin their season prep in January by going to I think Arizona.

These are professional athletes being paid a king's ransom when/if they make it to MLB. In Ken Burns series on Baseball, someone comments that before Curt Flood attacked the reserve clause, the average MLB player made 7 times as much money as the average fan. After Curt Flood, it was 7 x 7 as much money. I just checked a chart from "Statista" which says the average MLB salary is $4.9M. If the average fan today is making $100K/year, that 7 x 7 is still holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Weren't you the one screaming for the Sox to play the young guys in September? Last night's lineup included Rafaela (23), Abreu (24), Valdez (24), Dalbec (28), Wong (27), and Devers (26). Devers, Story, and Wong had the Sox 3 hits, all singles.
    Excuse me, but what the hell does playing the young guys have to do with Devers' lack of leadership qualities? Take a couple of deep breaths, MAX.

The only reason to watch tonight's game is to see how many more consecutive innings the SOX can go w/o scoring a run.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    The only reason to watch tonight's game is to see how many more consecutive innings the SOX can go w/o scoring a run.
    I haven't watched the past few games, because why bother? I probably won't watch until the Sunday finale when I go see my Grandfather In Law who I haven't seen in weeks since my family has been fighting off various illnesses and we didn't want to get him sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Per the Talksox unwritten rules, I'm not starting a 9/29 game thread but just continue on this one.

FYI---Sox are 9 up/9down, no hit through 3 extending their scoreless string to 22 innings.

Meanwhile Pivetta is trying to match, except for having given up 1 hit so far.

J. Means has a perfect game through4 innings, but Pivetta is nearly matching him at end of 4. Only egregiously bad ball/strike calls from Alan Porter led to a walk to go with the one hit given up by Nick. Nick only has thrown 50 pitches through 4.

He could go ALL THE WAY and rest that precious bullpen.

This just in: Refsnyder gets a double breaking up the no-no. Now if only they could score that RISP.

HOLY MACARONI: Trevor Story homers to score himself and Refsnyder. I guess now there is a reason to reassemble the band in Ft. Myers next February
    Last edited by vegasbob; 09-29-2023 at 06:59 PM.

7 inning , 2 hit shutout for Pivetta on about 86 pitches. With Chris Martin on IR, Nick should get to come out for the 8th. Then maybe see the elusive Kenley Jansen , who has pitches a total of 1 inning ( 3 appearances ) since September 12. In those 3 games, Kenley gave up a walkoff HR, 3 total runs and 2 walks. Hope he's not rusty

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    7 inning , 2 hit shutout for Pivetta on about 86 pitches. With Chris Martin on IR, Nick should get to come out for the 8th. Then maybe see the elusive Kenley Jansen , who has pitches a total of 1 inning ( 3 appearances ) since September 12. In those 3 games, Kenley gave up a walkoff HR, 3 total runs and 2 walks. Hope he's not rusty
    If Pivetta goes 1.1 inning more, he'll be at a 4.00 ERA. 1.2 or 2 IP more and he's under 4.00.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Dalbec has crossed over the 50% K rate in this last effort to show himself as an MLB hitter. 27 K's in 47 AB's , but with 4 walks. I honestly wonder what his record would be if he just never swung at anything. He would increase his OBP.

As others have said, he can come off the 40 roster sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If Pivetta goes 1.1 inning more, he'll be at a 4.00 ERA. 1.2 or 2 IP more and he's under 4.00.
    Cora has plugged in Whitlock to pitch the 8th , so Nick Pivetta's successful season, IMO has concluded . He should be a key element of the pitching staff next year , either starting or following an opener.

Whitlock mows down the O's on 12 pitches. You think Orioles are perhaps less than motivated today ?

With Turner probably not returning next season the SOX will have only two RH batters who present any threat at the plate at that point. I'm pretty sure the SOX will try to re-sign Duvall. The new GM will have to employ a lot of plaster to fill the many holes of this SOX team. Good luck with that.