Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig Breslow hired as Head Of Baseball Operations

Legend
    Clearly the slate of candidates was much reduced as a result of the many turn downs experienced. So Craig may turn out fine, let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It shouldn't even exist until we see if Henry will let him spend on or trade for top of the rotation starters.

If Breslow is spotted at any flea markets or garage sales, then maybe someone should start a thread called "Sell the Red Sox"
    The other “fire” threads began at hire date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

@IanCundall

It will be interesting to see how Craig Breslow continues to evolve the Red Sox pitching dev program. He places a strong emphasis on maximizing velo & as of late Red Sox drafts haven’t featured that many hard throwers. That’s one area we could see a philosophical shift next year.
    I get MV Pee.

Breslow is good friends with Andrew Bailey, who now has inside track on pitching coach gig.
    I get MV Pee.

Stories are noting that he will have “full autonomy.”

Until fired in 4 years, right?
    I get MV Pee.

Hell no! The Gloom, and Doom is gone, and this is a new beginning. Let’s get to work.
    So, you like the move?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Stories are noting that he will have “full autonomy.”

Until fired in 4 years, right?
    That is the protocol so that if the plans do not work out, the Sox only will have to fire 1 person, not the longstanding crew of Kennedy, O'Halloran, Romero, Quintero, etc, all of who have been there for the other guys who rose and fell with the tides.

Is the Red Sox FO sclerotic or not ? How did all the capos survive while the boss got whacked ?

Given the timing and situation, Breslow is not exactly an insider promotion to the head of the "committee" but close. His overall intelligence (molecular biology ?) and actual playing experience, plus becoming a pitching guru makes him a potential right guy/right place/right time . The action starts very soon as the WS will be over triggering FA time, December meetings not far away.

Actual time in the Red Sox organization and NE's emotional fascination with this team will help Breslow understand the nuances of why it is a tough job.
    Last edited by vegasbob; 10-25-2023 at 07:08 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    That is the protocol so that if the plans do not work out, the Sox only will have to fire 1 person, not the longstanding crew of Kennedy, O'Halloran, Romero, Quintero, etc, all of who have been there for the other guys who rose and fell with the tides.

Is the Red Sox FO sclerotic or not ? How did all the capos survive while the boss got whacked ?
    The answer is likely that the "boss" was the one the fans knew and disliked and so was easy to kneecap.

It's hard to know how good of a hire Breslow is. It's nice to know he worked under Theo and was hired or promoted 3 years in a row for the Cubs.

His focus was on pitching, so let's hope that helps, especially in the developing aspect of the organization. We'll see if he changes the philosophy of not drafting pitchers too highly.

I'm optimistic this will work out, but I really do not know enough to formulate an opinion, one way or another. I'm glad all the turmoil and talk about who will be our next "guy" is finally over.

We have some serious flaws to fix. Let's hope upper management gives him the green light to do it quickly. This should not be the start of a 4 or 5 year plan. We just went through that. A pretty nice foundation is set up for Breslow, but we lack in star power numbers and have 3-5 gaping holes that need to be not just filled, but filled with 2-3 studs and 2-3 plus players.

Good luck, Craig!

Deity
    I can’t wait for the press conference to see Sam The Sham gush, and say we got our man, and this is who we wanted right from the start.

I can’t wait for the press conference to see Sam The Sham gush, and say we got our man, and this is who we wanted right from the start.
    It will be a fine performance I'm sure. It's what they pay him for.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It will be a fine performance I'm sure. It's what they pay him for.
    I'd like to see their pecking order list, before any turndowns.

Maybe Breslow was always near the top: maybe not.

@pgammo
    Noone knew Craig Breslow better than Theo Epstein, who with Jed Hoyer moved him into the front office. Few in the game know Theo better than Sam Kennedy, best friends since first grade, and, since they remain in constant communication, knows Breslow fits in this job, ,org, market

See, it's Theo part 2. Theo must have told them to hire Breslow when he was visiting Boston a few weeks ago!
    I get MV Pee.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @pgammo
    Noone knew Craig Breslow better than Theo Epstein, who with Jed Hoyer moved him into the front office. Few in the game know Theo better than Sam Kennedy, best friends since first grade, and, since they remain in constant communication, knows Breslow fits in this job, ,org, market

See, it's Theo part 2. Theo must have told them to hire Breslow when he was visiting Boston a few weeks ago!
    I’m up for the Bres for the Pres.👍👍👍