Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Red Sox 2024 Spring Training

I went to today’s Sox/Cards game. Here’s what I noticed.

Crawford was fine, but unimpressive. Walter pitched really well and struck out RH Arenado on a nice offspeed pitch. Slaten was a beast k’ing 2 in 1 inning. Hagenman worked a quick inning with only soft contact. Campbell was ok, but nothing special. Mustache is impressive in person. Olivarez was an absolute dumpster fire and almost hit 3 batters. Song was depressing to watch. His FB was 92-94, but couldn’t locate it in his warm ups (was sitting next to bullpen catcher) and looked even worse when he got into the game. He was pulled after giving up a run and loading the bases.

Sogard played the Pedro Ciriaco role put three charges into the ball. Meidroth got on base 3 times, but did so very quietly. Rafaela had a hit, stole a base, got picked off, struck out on a pitch in the dirt and made a JBJesque running catch in CF. McGuire had a horrible passed ball. Yorke had 3 ab’s and couldn’t hit the ball out of the IF grass.

Old friends Ryan Fernandez and Nick Robertson both pitched for the Cards. Robertson looked like shit. Fernandez missed giving up a leadoff oppo bomb to Kavadas by 5 ft. He then finished the inning with 3 k’s (kavadas, Rosier, Miller) and 1 bb.

Roger Dean Stadium was a good time though.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Crawford was fine, but unimpressive. Walter pitched really well and struck out RH Arenado on a nice offspeed pitch. Slaten was a beast k’ing 2 in 1 inning. Hagenman worked a quick inning with only soft contact. Campbell was ok, but nothing special. Mustache is impressive in person. Olivarez was an absolute dumpster fire and almost hit 3 batters. Song was depressing to watch. His FB was 92-94, but couldn’t locate it in his warm ups (was sitting next to bullpen catcher) and looked even worse when he got into the game. He was pulled after giving up a run and loading the bases.

Sogard played the Pedro Ciriaco role put three charges into the ball. Meidroth got on base 3 times, but did so very quietly. Rafaela had a hit, stole a base, got picked off, struck out on a pitch in the dirt and made a JBJesque running catch in CF. McGuire had a horrible passed ball. Yorke had 3 ab’s and couldn’t hit the ball out of the IF grass.

Old friends Ryan Fernandez and Nick Robertson both pitched for the Cards. Robertson looked like shit. Fernandez missed giving up a leadoff oppo bomb to Kavadas by 5 ft. He then finished the inning with 3 k’s (kavadas, Rosier, Miller) and 1 bb.

Nice recap. I think most Sox fans would take a JBJ career from Rafaela (though not as many on this forum).

I've never seen any outfielder better at getting jumps than Jogging Jackie (when his pursuit after a fly went into a jog -- no matter where the ball was -- it meant he had a bead on it).

But my sense is that Ceddanne has more potential for all-around impact on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

It's always nice getting reports like these.

Thanks.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Nice recap. I think most Sox fans would take a JBJ career from Rafaela (though not as many on this forum).

I've never seen any outfielder better at getting jumps than Jogging Jackie (when his pursuit after a fly went into a jog -- no matter where the ball was -- it meant he had a bead on it).

But my sense is that Ceddanne has more potential for all-around impact on offense.
    JBJ showed a lot of potential with the bat, especially during years 3 and 4, when he had an .834 OPS (117 OPS+). After that, he managed to stay over .717, but mostly due to having incredible hot streaks within each season. (.737 and a 93 OPS+ over his next 4 seasons- up to 2020.)

He was my favorite Sox player over his first 8 seasons in MLB. He was fun to watch. (He did manage a 101 OPS+ from 2015-2020.)

I hope Rafaela can top that.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

On his first AB, he took the first two pitches right down the middle for called strikes and then hit the third pitch into the OF for a single. His second AB was him just swinging wildly at pitches that were not close to the zone. It was the full Rafaela experience.

No real misplays by the defense except for the McGuire passed ball. Abreu also made a nice sliding catch in RF early on in the game that I thought would drop in. Sogard's glove seems good enough for SS.

The Red Sox had a very bad day on the bases with a pick off and 2 caught stealing. Not sure if the Reese McGuire one was just to get him back into the dugout so that he could get his gear back on.

Just looked at the Statcast data from the game yesterday.

Yorke's 3 AB's:
    54.1 exit velo ground out
    49.9 exit velo ground out
    87 ft popfly

Sogard:
    100.6 367 ft double
    100.6 sac fly
    101.0 361 oppo HR

I noted that Walter pitched well, but wasn't paying attention to his velo. He only broke 88 mph twice in his 2 innings and never reached 90 mph. If his velo stays down again, his ceiling remains very limited.

Devers & Anthony with 2 hits, today. Story with a couple rbi.

Whitlock started and K'd 6 in 3 IP (0 BB) 3 hits and 1 ER
    Criswell went 2 IP (3K, 1BB, 3H, 0ER)

Sox won 5-2 and are 4-2 in ST'ing.

In 5 IP, this spring, Whitlock has 8 Ks and 0 BBs (4 hits)

Sox 4 Ever

Devers & Anthony with 2 hits, today. Story with a couple rbi.

Whitlock started and K'd 6 in 3 IP (0 BB) 3 hits and 1 ER
    Criswell went 2 IP (3K, 1BB, 3H, 0ER)

Sox won 5-2 and are 4-2 in ST'ing.

In 5 IP, this spring, Whitlock has 8 Ks and 0 BBs (4 hits)

Whitlock's first game in 2023 was 4/11 followed by 4/16 and 4/22.

Then it was 5/27.

After pitching on 7/2, he was shut down until 8/13.

I just want him to stay healthy. At this point, I don't really give damn about his effectiveness. But it's good to see him having some success.

Stay healthy young man.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Starts
    2 Whitlock
    1 Bello
    1 Giolito
    1 Crawford
    1 Winckowski
    1 Houck

What's up with Pivetta? Is he hurt?
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?