Register now to remove this ad

Page 267 of 332 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277317 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 4968

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Most of that OPS comes from early in the season when you bought in, and wanted to extend him. He’s 24 for his last 49. K’s that is. It doesn’t matter who they give up for him it’s what he’s doing on the field at the here, and now.
    thanks Red. good info here

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Adding Soto to that lineup and ballpark could have no other effect…
    I wonder if they will be able to sign Soto. Steinbrenner is starting to sound like John Henry in saying what a burden the payroll is becoming.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I wonder if they will be able to sign Soto. Steinbrenner is starting to sound like John Henry in saying what a burden the payroll is becoming.
    It sounds like they will be looking to until payroll, which in suggested earlier but was vehemently told was not the case…

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

I will say, no player I know of hit more big homers or hits than Big Papi. If anyone can be called clutch, it would be him.
    If ever a guy repeated clutch, it was Ortiz in at least the three seasons he helped Boston win the World Series.

But how rare is that? Well, the last ballplayer to win three rings for the Red Sox was named Babe Ruth... but he was a pitcher then, and only contributed one hit in the Fall Classics of 1915, 1916 and 1918.

There was, however, a man who WON FOUR RINGS for the Red Sox: Harry Hooper -- Babe's teammate, who also played on the Sox' 1912 championship team. Hoop was only great in his first three World Series, but his large sample size of postseasons shows he performed better when it counted most, compared to the regular season: career .293 and .810 in WS vs. .281 and .755 in 154-game seasons.

Does anyone really want to argue that the Red Sox playing in four World Series out of seven years is a small sample size when considering postseasons -- the biggest stage of them all every year?

... or can we just celebrate the guys who came through for the Red Sox when teammates, fans and New England needed them to?

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I'd bet they do sign him. He has made them a much more dangerous team. Hal recognizes the value of a big star like Soto.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Most of that OPS comes from early in the season when you bought in, and wanted to extend him. He’s 24 for his last 49. K’s that is. It doesn’t matter who they give up for him it’s what he’s doing on the field at the here, and now.
    26 for 51 now

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    26 for 51 now
    🤭🙈🤮!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'd bet they do sign him. He has made them a much more dangerous team. Hal recognizes the value of a big star like Soto.
    Soto’s team makes it sound like free agency is inevitable, which they’re going to say no matter what. Hal undoubtedly wants him, but even the Yankees have limits. And this guy might be lookining at 12 years $600mill.

The big question is - who will the other players be? They will exist. But who?

I’m counting Boston as out already…

Deity
    ������!
    Yeah. Cheering against O’Neill because he struggled coming back from colliding with Devers…

Deity

Yeah. Cheering against O’Neill because he struggled coming back from colliding with Devers…
    Just stating the facts. Is that why he's striking out so much now, because of his colliding with Devers, or is he just unlucky not being able to hit the ball?🤫

Deity
    Just stating the facts. Is that why he's striking out so much now, because of his colliding with Devers, or is he just unlucky not being able to hit the ball?��
    His slump coincided with coming back, absolutely. Why is this 50 PA stretch more important than the previous stretch on a 29 year old Gold Glove winning RH power bat whose only drawback is an injury history that would actually keep his years and salary in check?

Oh wait. He had a bad stretch of 50 plate appearances…

Deity

His slump coincided with coming back, absolutely. Why is this 50 PA stretch more important than the previous stretch on a 29 year old Gold Glove winning RH power bat whose only drawback is an injury history that would actually keep his years and salary in check?

Oh wait. He had a bad stretch of 50 plate appearances…
    You bloated about his first 50 plate appearances, and wanted to lock him up, so we’ll see how it all turns out in the end. Like I’ve said many times when you, and Moon get giddy about someone it usually turns shitty shortly after. 🤫

Deity
    You bloated about his first 50 plate appearances, and wanted to lock him up, so we’ll see how it all turns out in the end. Like I’ve said many times when you, and Moon get giddy about someone it usually turns shitty shortly after. ��
    Dude I wanted him locked up for 2-3 more years before he first 50 PA.

He’s the right-handed power bat with Gold Glove defense. Bad injury issue but otherwise the younger, better Duvall, whom I also wanted back.

It was NEVER about his first 50 PA…

Deity
    Dude I wanted him locked up for 2-3 more years before he first 50 PA.

He’s the right-handed power bat with Gold Glove defense. Bad injury issue but otherwise the younger, better Duvall, whom I also wanted back.

It was NEVER about his first 50 PA…
    And as usual it didn’t happen, hasn’t happened, and Most likely won’t happen, which is par for the course with you. C’mon man!

Actually, that answers my question about what's wrong with O'Neill. For some reason, I didn't consider that. I would assume the 'post-concussion' effects would show up particularly for baseball players. In football, hockey, etc., you can more or less power through it. But hitting a 95mph fastball? different matter.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.