Register now to remove this ad

Page 269 of 336 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 5040

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Zach Penrod promoted to Worcester. A lefty, 53 K's in 35+ innings.

Expect him to get to the majors by year end.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Slaten looks like a closer to me for 2025. Abreu has better rookie numbers than everyone's favorite Cowser.
    Last edited by Nick; 05-26-2024 at 03:12 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Slaten looks like a closer to me for 2025. Abreu has better rookie numbers than everyone's favorite Cowser.
    Mason Miller is the favorite for AL ROY right now.

Going by fWAR, Abreu ranks third with 1.5, trailing Cowser and Miller, both of whom are tied at 1.6…

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Me neither.

With Gio & Whit out, all year, we need the 5 we have now to stay healthy all year.

That is not very likely, and Keller isd probably a better option than burning out the pen with pen games or letting Chase Anderson go 3-4 innings, assuming he pitches well enough to last even that long.

Our current 5 look pretty good, but regressing to the norm could happen.

As SP'ers only:
    1.94 Houck (10GS) .515 OPS Against
    2.78 Criswell (7) .665
    2.89 Crawford (11) .637
    4.04 Bello (8) .714
    4.20 Pivetta (6) .734

Note: Wink has 3 GS with 10.2 IP and a 1.69ERA/.620 OPSA

out with one BBB [Guiterrez] and in with another [ Keller} hope John's wallet is not taking too big of a hit

If I'm JH i'd be wondering 1) why the guy we signed for 5 yrs @$90M was not in the lineup everyday before he got hurt 2) the guy that was signed for $23M per year as an insurance for Xander has been out of the line and NOT hitting ever since he was signed 3) the young pitcher that was extended early jas had trouble mot being on the IL 4) why we gave a win win contract to Giolito....and the list goes on.
    Last edited by Nick; 05-26-2024 at 05:34 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    As usual when Moon gets giddy about something like the team, or a player it usually turns shitty for the team, or the player. Just like Devers Forevers when he’s hitting HR, and Never Devers when he’s leaving all kinds of runners on base. Point. Counter point.
    I flip flop more than moonslav or anyone I can think of.

The simple fact is that this team is a $54M miracle. Of the $182M payroll, $16M is going to closer Jansen, $17M to Braves starter Chris Sale, $22.5M to Story who's out for the season because he risked life and limb diving for a grounder, $18M for Giolito who is out for the season because he unwisely threw pitches in spring training, $18.6M for Yoshida whose thumb hurts and who can't hit anyway, $7M for Turner who plays for the Jays, and $29M for Rafael Devers. So that $54M pays for the entire Sox pitching staff, including the entire rotation, less $16M for Jansen--and for the entire Sox lineup less Devers.

How they are still over .500 is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    How they are still over .500 is astounding.
    With our pitching, we should be 5-8 over .500.

If seeing there is more than one way to look at an issue is flip-flopping, then that's me. (I don't see it that way.)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

We are 1 game from the 1/3 mark of the season, and currently nobody is between us and the last WC slot held by MIN at 28-24. We are 1.5 behind them.

DET is 1 GB us. The Rays 1.5 and TEX 2.5.

Upcoming Sox schedule:

3 @ BAL
    3 v DET
    Off
    2 v ATL
    4 @ CHW
    Off
    3 v PHI
    3 v NYY
    3 @ TOR
    Off
    3 @ CIN
    3 v TOR
    Off
    3 v SDP
    Off
    3 @ MIA
    3 @ NYY

Not an easy stretch, at all. Let's see how we handle it.

Do we extend Houck now?

His Arb1-Arb3 starts next year.

He has had 9 quality starts. His 3 pitch mix is working.
    Last edited by Nick; 05-27-2024 at 06:57 AM.

No. Wait for him to peak. Then trade him for two prospects and an injured journeyman, paying half his salary as well of course.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

I don't believe Cooper is better option than Abreu at DH at this point. Ugh..

I don't believe Cooper is better option than Abreu at DH at this point. Ugh..
    Yesterday they batted him third, just in front of Devers. If you can't hit MLB pitchers that are coming right at you -- because the most-feared batter in the line-up is on deck -- then you can't hit.

But it gets worse: today, Cooper is batting fifth, right after Devers. We get the left-right batting order protocol, but once again: with "protection" like Cooper, why would any pro pitcher throw anything near Raffy's bat with the game on the line (or ever)?

Deity
    Do we extend Houck now?

His Arb1-Arb3 starts next year.

He has had 9 quality starts. His 3 pitch mix is working.
    I like the idea extending Houck and Crawford back in February. But their prices are going up as with the success. Crawford is slowing down, possibly related to workload. Houck will eventually as well. But this is inevitable, and not a reason to not extend them…

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Yesterday they batted him third, just in front of Devers. If you can't hit MLB pitchers that are coming right at you -- because the most-feared batter in the line-up is on deck -- then you can't hit.

But it gets worse: today, Cooper is batting fifth, right after Devers. We get the left-right batting order protocol, but once again: with "protection" like Cooper, why would any pro pitcher throw anything near Raffy's bat with the game on the line (or ever)?
    Call up Kavadas, and DFA...

Smith- not Cooper. Start a 1B platoon, and none of our 1Bmen should ever DH.