Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: April 3rd, 2024 Red Sox still at Oakland-Alameda 3:37 EDT

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Stripling was an All Star. He was a very good pitcher until injuries really got to him. He pitched better in 2022 than Bello has ever pitched in his life.
    Does Bello owe you money?
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Stripling was an All Star. He was a very good pitcher until injuries really got to him. He pitched better in 2022 than Bello has ever pitched in his life.
    Two years ago can be a long time in baseball life, and now heís pitching for a bad team with bad D.

Deity
    Stripling was an All Star, but that was back in 2018 when he was on that squad Mike Foltynewicz. Foltynewicz completely fell apart one year later at age 27 and retired by age 29. Point: Striplingís line All Star appearance was a long time ago. Unlike Kirbyís.

Striplingís 2022 was very good, but his 2.7 bWAR that year was worse than the 3.2 bWAR Bello posted in 2023. Pretty small difference and arguments might exist that Stripling pitched better. But itís not so blatantly obvious, and itís easier to give Bello the edge..

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Does Bello owe you money?
    -0.2 bWAR this year for Bello, FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Stripling was an All Star, but that was back in 2018 when he was on that squad Mike Foltynewicz. Foltynewicz completely fell apart one year later at age 27 and retired by age 29. Point: Stripling’s line All Star appearance was a long time ago. Unlike Kirby’s.

Stripling’s 2022 was very good, but his 2.7 bWAR that year was worse than the 3.2 bWAR Bello posted in 2023. Pretty small difference and arguments might exist that Stripling pitched better. But it’s not so blatantly obvious, and it’s easier to give Bello the edge..
    The only reason Stripling had lower bWAR in '22 is because he pitched a few games out of the pen.

Higher ERA+ than Bello ever had. WHIP was lower. Better SO/W. Lower BB rate.
    I get MV Pee.

Two years ago can be a long time in baseball life, and now he’s pitching for a bad team with bad D.
    And he still may outpitch Bello this year.
    I get MV Pee.

No offense to Bello, but it is notable that while he's been the most ballyhooed of the group, the others all look like better pitchers at this point.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    No offense to Bello, but it is notable that while he's been the most ballyhooed of the group, the others all look like better pitchers at this point.
    Everyone is projecting him to make a jump and seeing him as that pitcher rather than the guy he is now.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    The only reason Stripling had lower bWAR in '22 is because he pitched a few games out of the pen.

Higher ERA+ than Bello ever had. WHIP was lower. Better SO/W. Lower BB rate.
    Pitching out of the pen would also help his ERA+ and WHIP as well.

In 2022, Stripling threw 134 IP with an ERA+ of 127. Bello threw 157 IP last year with an ERA+ of 107. But he also ended poorly.

If you look at Bello after 131 IP, his ERA was 3.57. This would translate to an ERA+ of about 127 for a pitcher on last year’s Ted Sox staff. (By comparison and interpolation. Jansen was the closest comp.)

Deity
    And he still may outpitch Bello this year.
    He may at that. Iím not that high on Bello as most are.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Pitching out of the pen would also help his ERA+ and WHIP as well.

In 2022, Stripling threw 134 IP with an ERA+ of 127. Bello threw 157 IP last year with an ERA+ of 107. But he also ended poorly.

If you look at Bello after 131 IP, his ERA was 3.57. This would translate to an ERA+ of about 127 for a pitcher on last year’s Ted Sox staff. (By comparison and interpolation. Jansen was the closest comp.)
    LOL, no.

2022:
    WHIP as a starter: 0.98
    WHIP as a reliever: 1.45
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    His promotion would be to AAA. I don't think they are going to rush him to MLB. So far, he's really struggled with offspeed stuff and with the trend in MLB, he'd get eaten alive. I think there's zero chance we see him in BOS this year.

At best, he'd come up at the end of the year and play 2B/SS/3B as a fill in. I don't think they'd hand him a starting role. His most professional PA's in a season is 424. I think they'll take it easy on him due to his ongoing injury issues.
    Sox Prospects says look for Mayer in 2025 at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Sox Prospects says look for Mayer in 2025 at the earliest.
    There's a less than 10% chance he does what Devers did and does AA/AAA in half a season. I don't think he's likely to mash like that though.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    He may at that. I’m not that high on Bello as most are.
    These days it's a struggle to be high on Bello.

Last time I checked, being young is not a skill. If anything, it's an impediment except for the most gifted of baseball players.