Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: April 3rd, 2024 Red Sox still at Oakland-Alameda 3:37 EDT

April 3rd, 2024 Red Sox still at Oakland-Alameda 3:37 EDT

Note the time guys, it's noon:37 for me.

Nick Pivetta going for win #1 and a clean sweep in Oakland . A key game that would insure a minimum .500 West Coast road trip opening the 2024 season. Nick can do this thing.

A's will be offering Ross Stripling, whose nickname is Chicken Strips , which rhymes with Chicken S...., not going there Ross out of respect for any MLB'er. Time to bust out some runs on Ross, whose ERA is over 7. and has a 1.80 WHIP

Sox hitting over these 6 games is inconsistent . Looking for a "professional " assessment of the hitting SSS to date by our more analytic posters. We do have a positive run differential of +14, but if you take out the 9-0 blowout vs the A's it is only 5 runs surplus and 4 of those were needed to get the other 3 victories so far. . The only losses so far were by a -2 so the Sox have a +3 in any event. The point is no one is really crushing the ball early this year.

Duran can run but Rafaella can catch and truly saved win #4 in the 11th.

Enjoying the 3 game win streak and looking forward to the sweep and games in Anaheim where I will be seeing these dudes in person Saturday night. Sleep Well, East Coasters.

Back in 2022 in 134 innings Stripling had a 3.01 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP in 134 innings. Never been great but the interesting thing about him is it seems the more innings he throws the better his numbers are. If he's healthy this year he could provide some stability to the A's team.

Maybe they can break 55 wins this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Hey gang! Two more weeks of tax season and then I will be back here regularly! We’re 4-2, 2-0 in starts by Bello, but yet statistically, he’s our worst pitcher so far! How about that for the team with “no pitching”? Life is good. Can’t wait to get back to Boston and away from these 10 PM starts
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

And enjoy the game this weekend, Vegasbob! I’m going to all 3 at PNC when the boys come knocking in my neck of the woods later this month!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Hey gang! Two more weeks of tax season and then I will be back here regularly! We’re 4-2, 2-0 in starts by Bello, but yet statistically, he’s our worst pitcher so far! How about that for the team with “no pitching”? Life is good. Can’t wait to get back to Boston and away from these 10 PM starts
    The 5 starters have turned heads, so far. The problem I see is the SOX have no depth in SP's. The odds that all of these 5 will be able to take the ball every 5 days is slim to none. But, otoh, let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Btw, congrats to Vegas for this mini winning streak. Keep up the great work.

As for team offense so far, the SOX are second in the AL East in BA (.244). The Yankems are 1st (.245).

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Back in 2022 in 134 innings Stripling had a 3.01 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP in 134 innings. Never been great but the interesting thing about him is it seems the more innings he throws the better his numbers are. If he's healthy this year he could provide some stability to the A's team.

Maybe they can break 55 wins this year.
    Wood
    Blackburn
    Stripling

I mean, it's not horrible if they're healthy... Sears threw 170+ last year. Boyle just really has control problems and is probably a 5th starter or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    As for team offense so far, the SOX are second in the AL East in BA (.244). The Yankems are 1st (.245).
    Yanks are really dragged down by their RFer this year.
    I get MV Pee.

The 5 starters have turned heads, so far. The problem I see is the SOX have no depth in SP's. The odds that all of these 5 will be able to take the ball every 5 days is slim to none. But, otoh, let's enjoy it while it lasts.
    Gambrell, Criswell and Van Belle all were scoreless in their first outings of the year too. WooSox starter ERA is 1.00 so far.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Note the time guys, it's noon:37 for me.

Nick Pivetta going for win #1 and a clean sweep in Oakland . A key game that would insure a minimum .500 West Coast road trip opening the 2024 season. Nick can do this thing.

A's will be offering Ross Stripling, whose nickname is Chicken Strips , which rhymes with Chicken S...., not going there Ross out of respect for any MLB'er. Time to bust out some runs on Ross, whose ERA is over 7. and has a 1.80 WHIP

Sox hitting over these 6 games is inconsistent . Looking for a "professional " assessment of the hitting SSS to date by our more analytic posters. We do have a positive run differential of +14, but if you take out the 9-0 blowout vs the A's it is only 5 runs surplus and 4 of those were needed to get the other 3 victories so far. . The only losses so far were by a -2 so the Sox have a +3 in any event. The point is no one is really crushing the ball early this year.

Duran can run but Rafaella can catch and truly saved win #4 in the 11th.

Enjoying the 3 game win streak and looking forward to the sweep and games in Anaheim where I will be seeing these dudes in person Saturday night. Sleep Well, East Coasters.
    Fascinating OP.

Right now, very early days, of course, the Sox are 4-2 and 1 game behind the 1st place Yankees because the Sox team ERA, 1.79, is ranked #1 in all of MLB.

The Sox team OPS, on the other hand, is .667, ranked 19th. The hitting stinks, but not completely.

And, as moonslav predicted, the Sox defense is above average, never more so than when Rafaela made that incredible grab last night in extra innings.

Also worth noting: all 13 position players either batted or fielded or both last night; and 5 of the 8 relievers pitched. You think Cora wanted to win this game?

That included at least two fascinating moves. One was replacing starting catcher Wong with "back-up" catcher Wright. Part of that was bringing in a lefty bat, but I think maybe Cora was also deliberately balancing the IP by both catchers. We'll see.

The other rather stunning move was to move Casas from DH to 1B to replace Dalbec, which meant giving up the DH for the rest of the game. Abreu pinch hit for Dalbec in the 6th inning and played RF with O'Neill moving to LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Fascinating OP.

Right now, very early days, of course, the Sox are 4-2 and 1 game behind the 1st place Yankees because the Sox team ERA, 1.79, is ranked #1 in all of MLB.

The Sox team OPS, on the other hand, is .667, ranked 19th. The hitting stinks, but not completely.

And, as moonslav predicted, the Sox defense is above average, never more so than when Rafaela made that incredible grab last night in extra innings.

Also worth noting: all 13 position players either batted or fielded or both last night; and 5 of the 8 relievers pitched. You think Cora wanted to win this game?

That included at least two fascinating moves. One was replacing starting catcher Wong with "back-up" catcher Wright. Part of that was bringing in a lefty bat, but I think maybe Cora was also deliberately balancing the IP by both catchers. We'll see.

The other rather stunning move was to move Casas from DH to 1B to replace Dalbec, which meant giving up the DH for the rest of the game. Abreu pinch hit for Dalbec in the 6th inning and played RF with O'Neill moving to LF.
    I think AC managed his resources very well last night, got players in the righty positions to win a game. This guy may have a future in managing baseball teams. Note the few errors this year so far, and as Moon says, look at the plays MADE that never sho up in box scores.

Duran LF
    Devers 3B
    Story SS
    Casas 1B
    Yoshida DH
    Rafaela CF
    Valdez 2B
    McGuire C
    Abreu RF
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    I can hardly remember a season when one or more starters haven't dropped out because of injury, illness, or lousy pitching. That's why moonslav is predicting how many of the current 5 will throw 150 innings each.

So, while I agree lack of depth is going to be a problem, I also think it's endemic to the Sox "system."

Of more importance is that this pitching staff has been incredible for the first six games and have the lowest ERA in MLB.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    I think AC managed his resources very well last night, got players in the righty positions to win a game. This guy may have a future in managing baseball teams. Note the few errors this year so far, and as Moon says, look at the plays MADE that never sho up in box scores.
    Yes, AC might have a future.

In fact, he's kind of a litmus test for which talksoxers don't know spit from shinola about managing. In game 3, for example, a whole bunch attacked Cora for not using Jansen. Not one asked the question, "why wasn't Jansen used?" They just assumed Cora was stupid.