Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Red Sox Defense

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    How about … Pelvis Mandrus?

I don’t want to have to keep saying his name…
    His defense is not an upgrade though. -16 DRS the past 3 years. If he's not hitting, what's the point in bringing him in? He may be less valuable than Reyes because of his lack of utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    And it really worked well. Sox lost today, 6-0, not because the defense stunk, but because Cleveland simply outpitched the Sox. To be more precise, their bullpen outpitched ours.

And shortstops were completely irrelevant.
    I watched the game, and there were three plays where Hamilton (twice) and Valdez couldn't catch throws. They maybe weren't going to nail runners, but if they at least stop the freaking ball, then runners don't move up another base... from where they all scored. One was a bounced throw from Abreu for the only official error, but the Red Sox looked like crap at the end with Hamilton at SS after Ceddanne had to move to OF because of the most egregious E -- when the third baseman head-butted the left fielder on a pop-up, instead of backing off. The outfielder coming in always has the right to call off the back-pedaling infielder.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    His defense is not an upgrade though. -16 DRS the past 3 years. If he's not hitting, what's the point in bringing him in? He may be less valuable than Reyes because of his lack of utility.
    I'm willing to bet a full season of Hamilton won't get you anywhere near -16 DRS...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I watched the game, and there were three plays where Hamilton (twice) and Valdez couldn't catch throws. They maybe weren't going to nail runners, but if they at least stop the freaking ball, then runners don't move up another base... from where they all scored. One was a bounced throw from Abreu for the only official error, but the Red Sox looked like crap at the end with Hamilton at SS after Ceddanne had to move to OF because of the most egregious E -- when the third baseman head-butted the left fielder on a pop-up, instead of backing off. The outfielder coming in always has the right to call off the back-pedaling infielder.
    Wonderful, even graphic descriptions--and also irrelevant when the Sox lose 6-0. The Sox lineup couldn't hit spit and the bullpen collapsed after Crawford pitched 5.2 scoreless innings.

As for the collision between O'Neill and Devers, it was a freak accident--head to head. Devers, I hasten to add, made a clean catch of the ball before colliding with O'Neill, so I'm not as sure as you that he was at fault. I mean, the rest of your diatribe was directed against players who didn't catch the ball, but here you want to throw Devers in jail when he did catch it.

here you want to throw Devers in jail when he did catch it.
    Who said anything about jail? Can't the Red Sox afford one of those steel shark cages to put around Raffy? It would also keep him from cutting in front of shortstops and deflecting grounders.

The least they could do is fit him for a PitchCom speaker (but call it DCom), so he can clearly hear outfielders call him off on pop-ups -- like they have with other infielders since forever. We wouldn't want our irrelevant defense to turn a still-winnable 2-0 game into a 6-0 route.

Deity
    Who said anything about jail? Can't the Red Sox afford one of those steel shark cages to put around Raffy? It would also keep him from cutting in front of shortstops and deflecting grounders.

The least they could do is fit him for a PitchCom speaker (but call it DCom), so he can clearly hear outfielders call him off on pop-ups -- like they have with other infielders since forever. We wouldn't want our irrelevant defense to turn a still-winnable 2-0 game into a 6-0 route.
    Just put an electric dog fence around 3B and put the sensor in his glove so if he stray too far and becomes a danger to others, he receives a warning shock...

Deity
    Just put an electric dog fence around 3B and put the sensor in his glove so if he stray too far and becomes a danger to others, he receives a warning shock...
    Literally comparing a player to a dog is very insulting--which he does not deserve.

Deity
    Literally comparing a player to a dog is very insulting--which he does not deserve.
    I didn’t compare him to a dog. I just suggested dog safety technology be used to rain him in. You’ll note the sensor was placed in a glove, not a collar.

Which brings to an interesting point - had I suggested a Running Man collar, in reference to the Arnold Schwarzeggar/Richard Dawson movie, would that have been acceptable? No dog references, but the same technology caused human heads to explode upon crossing a barrier.

Yet because I mentioned a favorite animal, somehow the gentle warming shock is a cruel reference, while the exploding human head is still ok?

I mean, the Running Man did take place in a jail, just like you mentioned…

I didn’t compare him to a dog. I just suggested dog safety technology be used to rain him in. You’ll note the sensor was placed in a glove, not a collar.

Which brings to an interesting point - had I suggested a Running Man collar, in reference to the Arnold Schwarzeggar/Richard Dawson movie, would that have been acceptable? No dog references, but the same technology caused human heads to explode upon crossing a barrier.

Yet because I mentioned a favorite animal, somehow the gentle warming shock is a cruel reference, while the exploding human head is still ok?

"Rain him in."

You should have received a similar shock after typing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity

You said to put "an electric dog fence around him." That's insulting and dehumanizing.

You said to put "an electric dog fence around him." That's insulting and dehumanizing.
    And all in jest.

We have a lot of jesters here, myself included.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And all in jest.

We have a lot of jesters here, myself included.
    Wait. That's deeply hurtful to those here of deep seriousness. I am profoundly offended.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    "Rain him in."

You should have received a similar shock after typing that.
    1. I did. I blame a faulty keyboard.

2. The proper spelling should have been “rein”, which means “a guiding influence” and is not solely used on animals…

Only love can bring the rain.

That falls like tears from on high.

Only love can bring the rain.

That falls like tears from on high.
    Reign O'Er Me.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.