Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 276

Thread: April 10 Baltimore at Boston

  1. #16
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    47,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Freaking brilliant. You and Bette Davis, "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."
    I borrowed that from Yogi Berra of course. It's a beauty. It struck me funny when moon said "of late" referring to pitchers who have mostly had only 2 starts.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  2. #17
    The Orioles have called up Jackson Holliday for his MLB debut. The son of former MLB All Star Matt Holliday , Jackson is generally considered to be the number one prospect in baseball.
    Old school is good school.

  3. #18
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    81,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'll say 12th to 15th. We were hoping for a healthy and rebounding Story. Our RH hitting is paper thin now. Waiting on Grissom of course.
    Iím counting on expected age progression growth for most of our pre prime and early prime players, who are basically everybody but Refsnyder.

    Devers, Casas, OíNeill, Yoshida, Duran, our catchers should get better. Grissom, Rafaela, Abreu are unknowns.

    I look at other teams and see as many or more what ifs than us for all but 8-10 teams.

    Do you think Soto will keep the Yanks ahead of us on O?

    Remember, we lost some real bad O players over the winter. Too

  4. #19
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    81,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I borrowed that from Yogi Berra of course. It's a beauty. It struck me funny when moon said "of late" referring to pitchers who have mostly had only 2 starts.
    lol. Yes from their first to second start is of late!

  5. #20
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    81,689
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The Orioles have called up Jackson Holliday for his MLB debut. The son of former MLB All Star Matt Holliday , Jackson is generally considered to be the number one prospect in baseball.
    This is great news. It will really hurt the all important prospect rankings, soon!

    Lol

  6. #21
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    16,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I borrowed that from Yogi Berra of course. It's a beauty. It struck me funny when moon said "of late" referring to pitchers who have mostly had only 2 starts.
    Sad to say, but I'm with moonslav on the pitching. Yes, absolutely, it's just 11 games.

    But a year ago we didn't have a rotation. Bello led everyone with a paltry 157 IP. Our pros from Dover--Sale, Paxton, and Kluber--pitched 103, 96, and 55 innings. So Pivetta, Crawford and House--all of whom relieved last year as well as started--filled in with 143, 129, and 106 IP.

    This year the rotation has been unbelievably good. The laggard is Bello, but yesterday he went 5.1 innings with just 1 ER. Yes, Pivetta dropped out, but it looks like for just 15 days and 3 starts. The other four still look good, as does the bullpen because the team ERA is still the lowest in MLB and the WHIP second lowest.

    We should be shouting that from the rooftops, but instead we are predicting catastrophic failure.

    Why do we know this rotation is going to fail miserably?

    Because JH refused to spend $100M on it. In fact, the combined salaries of Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Whitlock, and Houck add up to $14M, which is less than Jansen's $16M, Yoshida's $19M, etc.

  7. #22
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    47,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Sad to say, but I'm with moonslav on the pitching. Yes, absolutely, it's just 11 games.

    But a year ago we didn't have a rotation. Bello led everyone with a paltry 157 IP. Our pros from Dover--Sale, Paxton, and Kluber--pitched 103, 96, and 55 innings. So Pivetta, Crawford and House--all of whom relieved last year as well as started--filled in with 143, 129, and 106 IP.

    This year the rotation has been unbelievably good. The laggard is Bello, but yesterday he went 5.1 innings with just 1 ER. Yes, Pivetta dropped out, but it looks like for just 15 days and 3 starts. The other four still look good, as does the bullpen because the team ERA is still the lowest in MLB and the WHIP second lowest.

    We should be shouting that from the rooftops, but instead we are predicting catastrophic failure.

    Why do we know this rotation is going to fail miserably?

    Because JH refused to spend $100M on it. In fact, the combined salaries of Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Whitlock, and Houck add up to $14M, which is less than Jansen's $16M, Yoshida's $19M, etc.
    It's just way too early to say how these guys are going to hold up over a 162 game season. None of them have much of an MLB history to go on.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  8. #23
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    16,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's just way too early to say how these guys are going to hold up over a 162 game season. None of them have much of an MLB history to go on.
    Completely agree. But virtually the entirely of the RSN--and certainly Talksox--has already decided that none of the them will do well. That's what I don't understand.

  9. #24
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67,171
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Iím counting on expected age progression growth for most of our pre prime and early prime players, who are basically everybody but Refsnyder.

    Devers, Casas, OíNeill, Yoshida, Duran, our catchers should get better. Grissom, Rafaela, Abreu are unknowns.

    I look at other teams and see as many or more what ifs than us for all but 8-10 teams.

    Do you think Soto will keep the Yanks ahead of us on O?

    Remember, we lost some real bad O players over the winter. Too
    Duran will be 28 this year. O'Neill will be 29. Realistically, how much better could they get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  10. #25
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Sad to say, but I'm with moonslav on the pitching. Yes, absolutely, it's just 11 games.

    But a year ago we didn't have a rotation. Bello led everyone with a paltry 157 IP. Our pros from Dover--Sale, Paxton, and Kluber--pitched 103, 96, and 55 innings. So Pivetta, Crawford and House--all of whom relieved last year as well as started--filled in with 143, 129, and 106 IP.

    This year the rotation has been unbelievably good. The laggard is Bello, but yesterday he went 5.1 innings with just 1 ER. Yes, Pivetta dropped out, but it looks like for just 15 days and 3 starts. The other four still look good, as does the bullpen because the team ERA is still the lowest in MLB and the WHIP second lowest.

    We should be shouting that from the rooftops, but instead we are predicting catastrophic failure.

    Why do we know this rotation is going to fail miserably?

    Because JH refused to spend $100M on it. In fact, the combined salaries of Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Whitlock, and Houck add up to $14M, which is less than Jansen's $16M, Yoshida's $19M, etc.
    In 3 starts, 5.1 innings was still his longest start. He needs to really start to pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  11. #26
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,807

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Completely agree. But virtually the entirely of the RSN--and certainly Talksox--has already decided that none of the them will do well. That's what I don't understand.
    I think past history on the starting 5 did not leave anyone to get all that excited that they would be any top 10 starting staff who would last physically, and pitch well for a full season. On the other hand after just 1 time through the rotation all kinds of bells, and whistles were going off, and one poster called it the best rotation in RS history. Talk about a small SAMPLE size. Every game counts, but letís see how the staff is holding up, and pitching on Memorial Day. 2 starters have had injuries already.🙈🤭

  12. #27
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    11,807
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    In 3 starts, 5.1 innings was still his longest start. He needs to really start to pick it up.
    The Kut Man, and Whit didn’t make 5 the last time out. The BP has had plenty of work already.

  13. #28
    Boston's starting pitchers have been tops, but if they don't go five innings every night, it won't be because of inexperience.

    It takes 15 outs to get through 5 frames -- with the support of an average defense... but if you're in the Red Sox rotation, you may need 18 "outs" or more (and that number may only include official errors).

    For every new miscue, a pitcher may have to throw an extra 6 pitches or more to an another batter; suddenly, a 55-pitch outing becomes 70 pitches -- and the extra throws are always high stress with at least one more runner on base.

    With errors torrential, pitch counts go exponential, with more injury potential -- new shortstop is essential

  14. #29
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    81,689
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Boston's starting pitchers have been tops, but if they don't go five innings every night, it won't be because of inexperience.

    It takes 15 outs to get through 5 frames -- with the support of an average defense... but if you're in the Red Sox rotation, you may need 18 "outs" or more (and that number may only include official errors).

    For every new miscue, a pitcher may have to throw an extra 6 pitches or more to an another batter; suddenly, a 55-pitch outing becomes 70 pitches -- and the extra throws are always high stress with at least one more runner on base.

    With errors torrential, pitch counts go exponential, with more injury potential -- new shortstop is essential
    You said it better than I. To me, this is often overlooked as a reason pitcher numbers look worse than they should under just normal situations. Imagine having pitchers on your team that had a plus defense behind them, especially at SS!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  15. #30
    Deity vegasbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    11,332
    Let's give Romy Gonzalez a chance to prove he can field and otherwise make plays at SS without costing the pitchers extra "outs". If after a week of games , he cannot show this board what he can do to secure a spot in the Nation annals , then I'm sure we will inform Breslow accordingly and changes will be made.then

    It would also be a plus if he can hit .250 at the MLB level, or otherwise be an OBP star.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •