Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So What Would You Do on April 13th ?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    2. No one is buying or selling yet. Short term contracts like these might not be in demand

3. Pay for whose bench bat? And with what? We can’t chastise the Red Sox for not having a backup SS and then expect some other team to deal theirs away mindlessly.

The SS options are largely limited to internal right now. The Sox recently passed on Livan Soto on the waiver wire so they’ll have to see what else presents itself there. Others will as team replace injured players with non-40 man alternatives. And as May 1 approaches, it’s quite possible some shortstops on minor league deals invoke their upward mobility clauses…
    whatever happened to the shortstop Bloom signed last year that spent the whole year on the DL?? Is he not healthy by now??

If I had Breslow’s job?

1. Suggest Rafaela move to SS temporarily. His primary position will be CF, but he’s under control for 8 more years; playing SS for a month or two won’t kill his development.

2. Demote Hamilton and recall Refsnyder. The OF alignment would be O’Neill in LF, Duran in CF, Abreu/Refsnyder in RF.

3. Count the minutes until the essentially useless Enmanuel Valdez can be demoted and replaced with Vaughn Grissom. Hope Cora starts Reyes over Valdez.

4. Be ready to claim any defense-oriented shortstops on the waiver wire. Maybe even work out a trade if possible.
    anyone have a clue when Grissom might be ready? I assume he will need a long rehab stint in AAA given he really had no spring training.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    anyone have a clue when Grissom might be ready? I assume he will need a long rehab stint in AAA given he really had no spring training.
    Early May?

So far he has played one game in Worcester…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    whatever happened to the shortstop Bloom signed last year that spent the whole year on the DL?? Is he not healthy by now??
    He missed last year and no one signed him as a free agent.

No one signed Elvis Andrus, either. Why is Breslow not on this? Does someone in the Sox org hate Elvis?

i agree with those who say to deal every one on 1 yr deals like Martin, Janssen, O'Neill, etc. Get as many prospects as possible given that Henry refuses to allow any big name FA signings. I would try and get what I could too for Story but that will be tough given his injury. Sox need to stop trying to simply stay competitive and truly rebuild. And then unless there are NO SP prospects ranked near where we draft I take a P with our 1st rd pick and another P in either round 2 or 3. Sox have done a good job with position players in the system but the P depth in the minors is terrible.

Early May?

that is good to know. i did not know he had started rehab. Early May sounds about right then.

Early May?

And as a DH
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Our pitching has been the closest thing to a strength that we have had this year. It won't be for long. Poor defense and injuries will destroy starting pitching... which will result in the bullpen getting over taxed (bullpen still kinda unproven anyway).

To try to save the pitching- I'd try to go with a very unconventional rotation. Something like batteries of three pitchers, each going a max of three innings- and a fourth for the 9th inning if necessary. Those guys could pitch every 3 or 4 days. Our pitchers look good early- lets just let Bello do 3, Houck do 3 Wink do 2-3.... do a similar battery the next day.

Maybe when Devers and VG are on the infield the defense looks a little better... I'm not big on Devers for defense... but he's better than the three we are using now. I think you have to somehow find a veteran utility guy that can play defense. As far as offense... I see no solution.
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And as a DH
    and went 0/3

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    Our pitching has been the closest thing to a strength that we have had this year. It won't be for long. Poor defense and injuries will destroy starting pitching... which will result in the bullpen getting over taxed (bullpen still kinda unproven anyway).

To try to save the pitching- I'd try to go with a very unconventional rotation. Something like batteries of three pitchers, each going a max of three innings- and a fourth for the 9th inning if necessary. Those guys could pitch every 3 or 4 days. Our pitchers look good early- lets just let Bello do 3, Houck do 3 Wink do 2-3.... do a similar battery the next day.

Maybe when Devers and VG are on the infield the defense looks a little better... I'm not big on Devers for defense... but he's better than the three we are using now. I think you have to somehow find a veteran utility guy that can play defense. As far as offense... I see no solution.
    Interesting, but I believe the 5 man rotation has worked pretty well so far, the bullpen has been almost decent, and the Sox team ERA, 2.47, is still ranked #1.

To me the real problem, which the new CBO can't do much to fix in the short term is that, out of the $180M current payroll--11th biggest in MLB--$100M isn't playing for the Sox: Devers $29M; Story $23M; Giolito $18M; Pivetta $8M; Sale $17M; and Turner $7M.

You can almost tack on Yoshida's $18M because he ain't delivering on that salary.

So, let's see, now we're at roughly $60M worth of players who can actually play. Thank goodness the 5 original starters--Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Whitlock, and Houck--are paid just $14M total.

Nevertheless, $60M, which does represent the value of the players actually able to play right now, is lower than the A's bottom of the barrel $63M.

So I go with moonslav's cautious approach. Watch and see. Maybe trade/dump the 1 year life cycle models like Jansen.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Interesting, but I believe the 5 man rotation has worked pretty well so far, the bullpen has been almost decent, and the Sox team ERA, 2.47, is still ranked #1.

To me the real problem, which the new CBO can't do much to fix in the short term is that, out of the $180M current payroll--11th biggest in MLB--$100M isn't playing for the Sox: Devers $29M; Story $23M; Giolito $18M; Pivetta $8M; Sale $17M; and Turner $7M.

You can almost tack on Yoshida's $18M because he ain't delivering on that salary.

So, let's see, now we're at roughly $60M worth of players who can actually play. Thank goodness the 5 original starters--Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Whitlock, and Houck--are paid just $14M total.

Nevertheless, $60M, which does represent the value of the players actually able to play right now, is lower than the A's bottom of the barrel $63M.

So I go with moonslav's cautious approach. Watch and see. Maybe trade/dump the 1 year life cycle models like Jansen.
    I agree with all that for sure... and yes the pitching era has been great- I just doubt it's as good as the numbers show so far and suspect time will expose that sooner than later.
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

He missed last year and no one signed him as a free agent.

No one signed Elvis Andrus, either. Why is Breslow not on this? Does someone in the Sox org hate Elvis?

Andrus has to be better than what we have now in the infield.

Let me as you this.... we get past the all star break... we are obviously on track to lose enough that we are going to be in the basement again. Devers goes on a hot streak with HR's- you open to trading him to a team that needs a bat to push through the play offs? I certainly am. He's not shown me he is good enough to carry the team, or to build a team around. What is the purpose of paying him all this money for the next few years when the team won't be able to compete?
    Dear Mr. Henry,

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Seppuku
    I personally am thinking on going on the IL list for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    Let me as you this.... we get past the all star break... we are obviously on track to lose enough that we are going to be in the basement again. Devers goes on a hot streak with HR's- you open to trading him to a team that needs a bat to push through the play offs? I certainly am. He's not shown me he is good enough to carry the team, or to build a team around. What is the purpose of paying him all this money for the next few years when the team won't be able to compete?
    Devers is in the first year of a 10 year extension paying him $313.5 million. Who's going to take that on for us, especially with him missing games with nagging shoulder pain?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.