Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So What Would You Do on April 13th ?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    That’s never been my point. The point is, and has been all along that the Red Sox, didn’t, and won’t do any of your suggestions, and has been all along. It’s just as simple as that. Would Chapman be a better 3B than Raffy? Yes. but the Red Sox were NEVER going to spend money to sign him, nor was all the changes that would have to be made going to happen either. We’ve already went through all this before when you suggested Chapman. IT DIDN’T happen.����
    So the Sox would have been correct in making that move. Yet you lump it in with the failed Bradley trade. Interesting...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So the Sox would have been correct in making that move. Yet you lump it in with the failed Bradley trade. Interesting...
    You still don’t get the point. The fact is the Red Sox didn’t, and wasn’t going to do what you suggested. Why is that so hard to comprehend? If it makes you feel better, and obviously it does to suggest things that won’t happen, and the fact is it didn’t happen then key away. The LBJ trade was put in, because that’s something that shouldn’t have happened, but did happen, and you was all for it. You keep being hung up on if the Red Sox should have done what you suggested. My point was, and is they were never going to. I could have suggested the Red Sox do what the Dodgers did, and sign the Big O, and the Yam Man, but I knew they were never going to, so I didn’t. To each it’s own.

Deity
    So here we are sitting on April 15, tax day. The Sox have done nothing because, as several of you pointed out, there is/was very little that can in fact be done in the near term.

And, guess what? The Sox took the last 2 from the Angels and are now 9-7, tied with the Rays, 1/2 game behind the Orioles, and 3 games back of the charging Yankees.

The Sox still have the lowest ERA in MLB, 2.54, to the Yankees 2d place 2.78, and they also still have a +12 run differential, for whatever that is worth.

It's OK to be nervous about that MLB-leading ERA--how long will it continue?--but it's also OK to note that in those two weekend wins the Sox committed 0 errors--you know, with the worst infield in the history of MLB.

To repeat: with Devers, Story, and several others on the IL or simply not playing, plus the $17M the Sox are paying Sale and $7M to Turner, of the Sox $180M payroll, only $75M is actually available to play. Devers could start today, but is his shoulder healthy?

And here come the Cleveland Guardians, 10-5, with a +29 run differential and the 4th best ERA, 3.20, in MLB. How tough are they? About like the Sox, I think. Those 10 wins were achieved against the likes of the A's (7-9), Mariners (6-10), Twins (6-8), White Sox (2-13), and Yankees (12-4).

This season is hardly a saga. More like a episode from the Twilight Zone.