Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 4/15 Cleveland @ SOX 11:10AM EST

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I said that yesterday and was told I don’t believe in practice…
    “They are still young.”

Duran is 27!
    Devers is 27!
    Valdez is 25!
    Dalbec is 28!

These guys aren’t going to get much better no matter how much they practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    “They are still young.”

Duran is 27!
    Devers is 27!
    Valdez is 25!
    Dalbec is 28!

His point was about getting to these guys, when they were kids in the minors. Better coaching would (not could) have made them better on defense.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

“They are still young.”

Duran is 27!
    Devers is 27!
    Valdez is 25!
    Dalbec is 28!

Agree (sort of) that they are unlikely to get better. But they certainly COULD improve, if they committed to it (we're talking fielding here). (For those of us retirees, 25-28 does not seem past one's prime and incapable of learning anything). Alas, they likely won't. Devers knows what got him that $300million. It wasn't his glove. As for Duran, I may be imagining things, but to me he certainly has improved in the last couple of years, and they few things I've heard him say suggest he still will.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    His point was about getting to these guys, when they were kids in the minors. Better coaching would (not could) have made them better on defense.
    They had Devers and Duran as kids. Sometimes it's just a lack of ability. Not everyone can be a good defender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

They had Devers and Duran as kids. Sometimes it's just a lack of ability. Not everyone can be a good defender.
    I agree, but do wonder if we could have had better coaching, as well.

I've made your point in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Agree (sort of) that they are unlikely to get better. But they certainly COULD improve, if they committed to it (we're talking fielding here). (For those of us retirees, 25-28 does not seem past one's prime and incapable of learning anything). Alas, they likely won't. Devers knows what got him that $300million. It wasn't his glove. As for Duran, I may be imagining things, but to me he certainly has improved in the last couple of years, and they few things I've heard him say suggest he still will.
    Duran was way better than before. He went from horrible to near average.

Duran was way better than before. He went from horrible to near average.
    Yup. And for this team, having someone 'near average' puts that guy in Willie Mays territory.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Yup. And for this team, having someone 'near average' puts that guy in Willie Mays territory.
    Just keep him in LF!

Deity
    I agree, but do wonder if we could have had better coaching, as well.

I've made your point in this debate.
    While I agree with the notion that some fielding coaches are better than others, I would also point out that with or without coaching most of us start learning how to field at a pretty early age. It's easier to practice fielding (and throwing) than hitting.

Plus when I read the write-ups in Sox Prospects they provide great detail on the fielding ability and potential of incoming players like Marcelo Mayer.

However, I also have the strong impression that the Rays in particular have a very systematic approach to teaching/coaching/training pretty much all of the baseball skills--fielding, throwing, pitching, hitting, etc.

I say that because the Rays have been in the bottom five teams in total salaries for decades and have fielded competitive teams going back to 2008. Not every year, of course, but lots of years.

Deity
    Just keep him in LF!
    I don't care what else they do as long as Hamilton does not see another half inning at SS.

That said, this team is stocked with guys ready to move to DH for the next decade.