Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 4/19 @ Buccos

Desperately trying to follow intricate arguments (way too subtle and nuanced for my understanding) that seem to hinge on whether a team in a different league is bad or mediocre. I guess that's a sign of the depths to which the RS have fallen. Or perhaps everyone just decided to begin celebrating 4/20 a day early.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I stand corrected, but the jist of the comments is still the same. Records are what they are, but just, because any team in any sport has a winning record doesn’t always mean they are a good team. The Red Sox are not a good team.
    Still haven’t answered why you thought Pittsburgh is a bad team…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Pirates won 14 more games in 2023 than they did in 2022. I doubt they improve by that much in 2024, but they’re certainly heading in the right direction…
    You may be right. My eternal optimism and positivity strikes again. But they could be very fun to watch once they start hitting and call up Skenes. They already have a fantastic rookie in the rotation in Jared Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Because they’ve made the playoffs twice in 30 years. That must automatically make them a dumpster fire! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    You may be right. My eternal optimism and positivity strikes again. But they could be very fun to watch once they start hitting and call up Skenes. They already have a fantastic rookie in the rotation in Jared Jones
    They have several fun players in the 25 and under club, including Jack Suwinski, Endy Rodriguez, Henry Davis, and Oneil Cruz. I caught them at Wrigley last September and am going again t this year, since my diehard Cub fan daughter is also a big Andrew McCutchen fan…

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I stand corrected, but the jist of the comments is still the same. Records are what they are, but just, because any team in any sport has a winning record doesn’t always mean they are a good team. The Red Sox are not a good team.
    At home I agree. On the road they are warriors. So far, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I say this as a kid who grew up only going to Fenway and has since been to 7 different ballparks. PNC Park is legit. It’s basically a carbon copy of Camden Yards and Petco, and I would consider all 3 the best parks I’ve been to
    The views of the bridges is unmatched, IMO.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Bad or not, winning teams almost always struggle vs one or two bad teams, each year. More often than not, winning teams beat up on bad teams, with a few sweeps included.

Last April, PIT swept us and were off to a very good start beyond just beating us, but eventually, they fell back down to earth. They started off 2024 going 5-0 and 8-2. Last year, they started out 5-2 and were 20-8 on APR 29th. They followed that with a 7 game losing streak and 1-11 stretch.

Sometimes, it seems, when you play certain teams might make a big difference.

I wish we played the Astros in early April, this year. They might have 4 of their 5 missing SP'ers back, when we face them, later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Bad or not, winning teams almost always struggle vs one or two bad teams, each year. More often than not, winning teams beat up on bad teams, with a few sweeps included.

Last April, PIT swept us and were off to a very good start beyond just beating us, but eventually, they fell back down to earth. They started off 2024 going 5-0 and 8-2. Last year, they started out 5-2 and were 20-8 on APR 29th. They followed that with a 7 game losing streak and 1-11 stretch.

Sometimes, it seems, when you play certain teams might make a big difference.

I wish we played the Astros in early April, this year. They might have 4 of their 5 missing SP'ers back, when we face them, later this year.
    Timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Timing is everything.
    Yes.

This year, we are playing after they just started a losing stretch.

Deity

100 losses in 2021, and 2022, and improved to 86 losses last year. I’m just guessing that has something to do with it, and to me they are still a bad team this year. If to you saying Pittsburg is not a bad team, and it makes the Red Sox look better beating them then go for it.🙈🤭