Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 4/21 @ Buccos

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Agreed. Speaks to the leadership in the clubhouse and the managing ability of Cora. We could easily be in White Sox territory right now. Granted, we need the pitching to hold up
    I cannot resist using the line attributed to Tonto when the Lone Ranger observed they were surrounded by hostile Indians: "what's this "we" stuff, paleface?

Of course you're entitled to self-identify as a Pirates, Red Sox, or any other kind of fan you want to be. You love baseball enough to go to the ballpark (s) to watch the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I cannot resist using the line attributed to Tonto when the Lone Ranger observed they were surrounded by hostile Indians: "what's this "we" stuff, paleface?

Of course you're entitled to self-identify as a Pirates, Red Sox, or any other kind of fan you want to be. You love baseball enough to go to the ballpark (s) to watch the games.
    While I appreciate the sentiment, what exactly is your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Sox won only 2 more games than them last year. The franchises are in the same spot right now.
    Pirates payroll, $83M, is 2d lowest in MLB. Sox payroll, $182M, is 11th. However, the Sox have at least $100M of their payroll on the IL, "resting" but not quite on the IL, pitching or playing for other MLB teams, or simply underperforming.

Most everyone on Talksox believes the current 13-10 record is simply blind, stupid luck and that total disintegration is just a game or series away.

I do not think the Sox pitching is blind stupid luck. Given that the defense so far is the absolute worst in MLB, with the errors and other mistakes to confirm it's lowliness, the Sox pitching is actually better than their current lowest ERA in MLB.

The Sox are 13-10. Of those 10 losses, 3 (of 3 played) were to the Orioles, but 2 of the 3 were definitely contested. Same goes for losing 3 of 4 to the Indians--2 of the 3 losses were close and affected by Sox errors. Of the 2 losses to Seattle, both were highly contested. Same goes for 1 of 2 losses to the Angels. I believe that adds up to 7 of the 10 losses were contested.

What does, however, stretch credulity is that the Sox are sort of, kind of, maybe even hitting the freaking ball pretty much without a lineup. How bad is it? Devers, O'Neill, Casas, Yoshida, and Story are on the IL or resting or just not hitting. And guess who's playing every freaking day? Dalbec, with his OPS--OPS, not OBP--of .188. Reyes played 1b today. Cats and dogs are living together. If the
    Ghostbusters show up--now my favorite line--the Sox are dead, dead, dead.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 04-21-2024 at 08:21 PM.

When everyone comes back healthy, I still want Rafaela playing SS. He gives us our best shot. Good defense can carry a poor lineup. It did today and yesterday.

Also, Kutter for Cy Young
    Rafaela is our best defensive SS, and SS is the most important defensive position, except maybe catcher.

We have 4 good OF'ers when O'Neill returns, so yes.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Rafaela is our best defensive SS, and SS is the most important defensive position, except maybe catcher.

We have 4 good OF'ers when O'Neill returns, so yes.
    If the Sox ever get healthy, it looks like:

C: McGuire/Wong
    1b: Casas
    2b: Grissom
    3b: Devers
    SS: Rafaela
    LF: O’Neill
    CF: Duran
    RF: Abreu/Refsnyder
    DH: Yoshida

Biggest issue with even getting there appears to be Casas, who might be out for a while…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Biggest issue with even getting there appears to be Casas, who might be out for a while…
    We don’t need Casas! Dalbec is leading the league in batting average. We’ll be fine!
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I'd have O'Neill in RF over Refsnyder and it's about even with Abreu.

vs RHPs, I might go:
    LF: Duran
    CF: Abreu
    RF: O'Neill

"Might."
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd have O'Neill in RF over Refsnyder and it's about even with Abreu.

vs RHPs, I might go:
    LF: Duran
    CF: Abreu
    RF: O'Neill

"Might."
    Refsnyder is not a good defender. To play O'Neilll in LF and Refsnyder in RF is definitely a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    While I appreciate the sentiment, what exactly is your point?
    Divided loyalties. You're a lifelong Sox fan who moved to Pittsburgh, where you have season tickets to Pirates games.

I've been in the same boat because of moving around a lot. While I never rooted for the Yankees, I did root for the Knicks when I was on the USMA faculty. When at Carlisle Barracks, I rooted for the Phillies when they won the WS. In Kansas I went to Royals games because I could and because Bo Jackson played. Since grad school at UNC, I've been a Heels fan. In Oklahoma I became a Cowboys fan--also an Astros fan. Since age 9, a Sox fan and an Army fan.

Deity
    Refsnyder is not a good defender. To play O'Neilll in LF and Refsnyder in RF is definitely a choice.
    Refsnyder's righty bat comes in handy, just like McGuire's lefty bat (DH yesterday against the Pirates).

Refsnyder's righty bat comes in handy, just like McGuire's lefty bat (DH yesterday against the Pirates).
    Sure, just not in RF.
    I get MV Pee.

Divided loyalties. You're a lifelong Sox fan who moved to Pittsburgh, where you have season tickets to Pirates games.

I've been in the same boat because of moving around a lot. While I never rooted for the Yankees, I did root for the Knicks when I was on the USMA faculty. When at Carlisle Barracks, I rooted for the Phillies when they won the WS. In Kansas I went to Royals games because I could and because Bo Jackson played. Since grad school at UNC, I've been a Heels fan. In Oklahoma I became a Cowboys fan--also an Astros fan. Since age 9, a Sox fan and an Army fan.
    When I lived in LA, I listened to Vin Scully on the radio all the time and went to a few games. I followed the team and new the prospects that were coming along. I even participated on a Dodgers fan forum, which is how I found out about this place (there were a shared "admiration" of SeaBeachFred). I even ended up buying an LAD hat after moving back to MA. However, at no point was I really rooting for the Dodgers and it really didn't impact my life in any way if they won or lost. The Sox were the team I still paid the most attention too and still felt frustration over after losses. If it wasn't for Vin Scully, I probably would have barely followed the Dodgers at all.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    When I lived in LA, I listened to Vin Scully on the radio all the time and went to a few games. I followed the team and new the prospects that were coming along. I even participated on a Dodgers fan forum, which is how I found out about this place (there were a shared "admiration" of SeaBeachFred). I even ended up buying an LAD hat after moving back to MA. However, at no point was I really rooting for the Dodgers and it really didn't impact my life in any way if they won or lost. The Sox were the team I still paid the most attention too and still felt frustration over after losses. If it wasn't for Vin Scully, I probably would have barely followed the Dodgers at all.
    I have always loved the name, "Dodgers," maybe the best MLB name there is. Trolley-Dodgers, not quite as much. Dodgers are an old, old franchise that deserves respect, and their move to the West Coast does too.

Agree completely on Vin Scully--of course.

Your story reminds me of Doris Kearns Goodwin, who started as a huge Brooklyn Dodgers fan and switched to the Sox only after moving to Boston to get her PhD. I thought she was pretty good on Ken Burns' Baseball series.

We don’t need Casas! Dalbec is leading the league in batting average. We’ll be fine!

I predict that Bobby D will end up the SOX everyday 1st baseman and will go on to play 2,131 consecutive games at 1st.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 04-23-2024 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I predict that Bobby D will end up the SOX everyday 1st baseman and will go on to play 2,131 consecutive games at 1st.
    so 0/6000 ab's ?
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.