Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 4/27 Cubs at Fenway Park--Home, Sweet Home 4:10 EDT ( pay attn)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, if people don't think AC is a superior manager after watching him navigate the chaos he's been handed this year I don't know what to tell them.
    He's going to make a lot of money next year on a team aggressively trying to win that's not afraid to get what it pays for.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    He's going to make a lot of money next year on a team aggressively trying to win that's not afraid to get what it pays for.
    I actually think the Sox are going to pay the man, though I'm not counting on it. It seems clear enough that Henry and Werner must like him to hire him back after the suspension and to keep him on after two 78-84 seasons. As much as I've been ragging on ownership they do show redeeming qualities at times.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I actually think the Sox are going to pay the man, though I'm not counting on it. It seems clear enough that Henry and Werner must like him to hire him back after the suspension and to keep him on after two 78-84 seasons. As much as I've been ragging on ownership they do show redeeming qualities at times.
    I really want to agree, but fear Counsell's contract has upped the ante for name skippers beyond the Red Sox' current business plan.

Maybe -- and this is a stretch -- they'll factor the coming cost of Cora as insurance protection for their biggest investment: Devers.

AC has always been a valued mentor for Raffy, and also has the respect of many players from the DR, PR, Venenzuela, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I really want to agree, but fear Counsell's contract has upped the ante for name skippers beyond the Red Sox' current business plan.

Maybe -- and this is a stretch -- they'll factor the coming cost of Cora as insurance protection for their biggest investment: Devers.

AC has always been a valued mentor for Raffy, and also has the respect of many players from the DR, PR, Venenzuela, etc.
    Yes, that's part of it. Plus you could say the Sox have shown with recent hirings (the pitching brain trust) that they are buying into the idea that spending chunks of money on guys who don't play can be a solid investment.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Yes, that's part of it. Plus you could say the Sox have shown with recent hirings (the pitching brain trust) that they are buying into the idea that spending chunks of money on guys who don't play can be a solid investment.
    That's a very good point. Again, it's worth remembering what the John Henry actor says to the Billy Beane actor near the end of the movie Moneyball. JH wanted Beane because of the cost per win the A's had in 2002 was so much lower than the cost per win for the Yankees.

You need smart guys throughout your system to recognize and develop talent.

Funny the subject of Cora came up because--on top of my ongoing support for him since he arrived--I too think this latest chapter underscores his value. In 2018 he showed what he could with a ton of talent. And this year he's shown what he can do with what at times has seemed to be a neighborhood pickup game.