Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 4/28 Red Sox/Yellow Shirts vs Chicago Cubs 7:10PM EDT on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Agree 100%. Especially since it was Duran. If it were a Casas or Yoshida, the part way thing is fine; they aren't going to score if from there no matter who catches the ball. It has to drop in. With his speed, the only way Duran doesn't score is if the left fielder gets there to make the catch, in which case he just stays at 3rd. If the SS or 3B make the catch, he scores.
    Except that when the ball is in the air, it's not clear that Dansby is going to have to leave his feet for the ball. If he catches the ball, spins and throws Duran is out IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Masa will miss at least a few games because he jammed his wrist during his 2nd at bat yesterday. Unknown at this point if X-rays will be required.
    And the injuries just keep on comin'.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 04-29-2024 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    SOX FO DFA'd Reyes to make room for Cooper.
    Good luck to Reyes; he tried his best and he hustled. Can't ask for more than that.
    We had room for Cooper before Reyes was DFA'd.

His spot on the 26 was opened for Coop, yes.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 04-29-2024 at 01:01 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Except that when the ball is in the air, it's not clear that Dansby is going to have to leave his feet for the ball. If he catches the ball, spins and throws Duran is out IMO.
    He has less than 4 seconds to catch, spin and throw. Dansby is one of the weaker arms for a shortstop in MLB (StatCast has him 20th), but I think he had enough time. Assuming his throw was accurate.

An accurate throw there however, does complete a demoralizing double play.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He has less than 4 seconds to catch, spin and throw. Dansby is one of the weaker arms for a shortstop in MLB (StatCast has him 20th), but I think he had enough time. Assuming his throw was accurate.

Not an easy play for sure, but not a gimmie tag situation for Duran. Swanson has a stronger arm than Mookie which is insane to me. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leade...s=arm_ss&team= Mookie was gunning down runners from deep RF not all that long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Let's give Dansby credit for 85 mph max throwing speed per the Statcast provided by MVP. I will guess that he was between 180-200' feet from home when he might have caught the ball. At 85 mph, the ball would have travelled 180' in 2.9 seconds on a perfect line from moment of release. Allow a full second for catch ( Duran could start), turn around, set feet , grip ball and start momentum for the throw. Total catch, turnaround, throw time on straight line 3.9 seconds
    Duran can run at at max 29mph, no slide, so he theoretically could have covered the 90' in 3.82 sec. beating even a perfect throw at Dansby's max throwing speed.

The only thing that could have gotten Duran out, except for any mistake of his own , would be if Angel Hernandez was either the HP umpire and CB Bucknor at 3B or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Let's give Dansby credit for 85 mph max throwing speed per the Statcast provided by MVP. I will guess that he was between 180-200' feet from home when he might have caught the ball. At 85 mph, the ball would have travelled 180' in 2.9 seconds on a perfect line from moment of release. Allow a full second for catch ( Duran could start), turn around, set feet , grip ball and start momentum for the throw. Total catch, turnaround, throw time on straight line 3.9 seconds
    Duran can run at at max 29mph, no slide, so he theoretically could have covered the 90' in 3.82 sec. beating even a perfect throw at Dansby's max throwing speed.

The only thing that could have gotten Duran out, except for any mistake of his own , would be if Angel Hernandez was either the HP umpire and CB Bucknor at 3B or vice versa.
    Is Duran running at 29 mph from the instant he leaves 3B? The whole way home?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Is Duran running at 29 mph from the instant he leaves 3B? The whole way home?
    Duran is NEVER running 29 mph. Usain Bolt maxes out at under 28 mph…

Duran is NEVER running 29 mph. Usain Bolt maxes out at under 28 mph…
    Another good point, and even Bolt does not start out at 28mph instantly.

Deity
    Another good point, and even Bolt does not start out at 28mph instantly.
    We need good old fashioned

d = s0 + vt + 1/2 at^2

Ah, high school physics…

We need good old fashioned

d = s0 + vt + 1/2 at^2

Ah, high school physics…
    I think the topic has been mauled to death, but IMO, Duran might have been thrown out at home with a nice throw, had the ball been caught and he tagged up.

Probably not, but who knows.

Deity
    I think the topic has been mauled to death, but IMO, Duran might have been thrown out at home with a nice throw, had the ball been caught and he tagged up.

Probably not, but who knows.
    The play was in short left field because the infield was drawn in. Moreover, it sure looked as though both the 3B coach and Cora were in agreement Duran should take a lead on the pop fly.