Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/28 Red Sox/Yellow Shirts vs Chicago Cubs 7:10PM EDT on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    My list just contains infielders for now.

I wouldn’t DFA any more pitchers unless the new addition was a pitcher.

Also I’m hoping the Sox use Vlad Gutierrez solely out of the bullpen. He’s a weak starting pitcher, but he might be a good reliever…
    If we DFA an infielder, I'd want an infielder added, too.

We still have only Dalbec backing up 1B.
    We still have just Dalbec & Reyes backing up 3B.
    We have nobody I trust backing up Rafaela at SS.
    Once Grissom returns, we'll have plenty of back-up 2Bmen: Reyes, Valdez, DHam and maybe Romy when he returns.

(I forgot to add DHam to my DFA list.)

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Uwasawa added and called up.
    Uwasawa was already on the 40 man roster.

The Sox currently have one open slot on the 40 man…

Deity
    If we DFA an infielder, I'd want an infielder added, too.

We still have only Dalbec backing up 1B.
    We still have just Dalbec & Reyes backing up 3B.
    We have nobody I trust backing up Rafaela at SS.
    Once Grissom returns, we'll have plenty of back-up 2Bmen: Reyes, Valdez, DHam and maybe Romy when he returns.

(I forgot to add DHam to my DFA list.)

The Sox currently have 9 infielders on the 40 man roster. That total includes Rafaela but not Casas and Story…

The Sox currently have 9 infielders on the 40 man roster. That total includes Rafaela but not Casas and Story…
    That list included Rafaela, who is better in CF.
    That list includes Grissom & Romy, who are on the IL.

I'm fine with DFA'ing someone like Dalbec or DHam, but it does leave us short at 1B and 3B depth, if Dalbec and SS depth, if DHam. I guess with Devers back, Reyes can play SS just as poorly. I guess Wong, Reyes or Refsnyder can be the back-up 1Bman.

How would you rank the value to this team for these guys (assuming Grissom returns and Romy is healthy?)

Reyes
    Romy
    Valdez
    DHam
    Dalbec
    (I assume this is your order with the most valuable on top.)

Uwasawa was already on the 40 man roster.

The Sox currently have one open slot on the 40 man…
    Yes, my bad. Maybe they will add a middle IF'er or someone who can back up 1B and 3B. (LOL)

Deity
    That list included Rafaela, who is better in CF.
    That list includes Grissom & Romy, who are on the IL.

I'm fine with DFA'ing someone like Dalbec or DHam, but it does leave us short at 1B and 3B depth, if Dalbec and SS depth, if DHam. I guess with Devers back, Reyes can play SS just as poorly. I guess Wong, Reyes or Refsnyder can be the back-up 1Bman.

How would you rank the value to this team for these guys (assuming Grissom returns and Romy is healthy?)

Reyes
    Romy
    Valdez
    DHam
    Dalbec
    (I assume this is your order with the most valuable on top.)
    Yes it includes 2 players on the IL. Both are due back shortly. You’re going to discount the players on short term IL and also the starting SS who is likely to hold that spot all year?

Right now there is no need to DFA anyone since the roster stands at 39. I don’t think any of Dalbec, Hamilton and Valdez bring much. I suppose Hamilton is the only one with any value, since he is an elite pinch runner. That’s not much of a skill, although it has value in extra inning games. But these 3 do not bring anything else that isn’t easily replaceable…

BRUINS now lead PO series against the Laffs 3-1. Jeremy Swayman has been terrific.

Years ago Yankem fans asked Pedro "Who's your daddy?"
    Now BRUINS fans can ask Matthews "Who's your daddy?" And Matthews would answer "Swayman; he's my mommy and daddy."

RH bat killer?

Good thing the Sox don’t have many those.

Seen Wesneski pitch multiple times. Devastating slider that breaks about 2 feet. Hopefully O’Neill lays off of it, because it rarely stays in the strike zone…
    Wong has a lot of trouble with that type pitch also. I'm guessing McGuire is the catcher today

Yes it includes 2 players on the IL. Both are due back shortly. You’re going to discount the players on short term IL and also the starting SS who is likely to hold that spot all year?

Right now there is no need to DFA anyone since the roster stands at 39. I don’t think any of Dalbec, Hamilton and Valdez bring much. I suppose Hamilton is the only one with any value, since he is an elite pinch runner. That’s not much of a skill, although it has value in extra inning games. But these 3 do not bring anything else that isn’t easily replaceable…
    I think Valdez is a much better hitter than he has shown, so far, this year, and better than all of these guys on the list, but his defense is so bad, he'd have to be a good enough hitter to win the DH job. This is doubtful.

I have no issues DFA'ing Dalbec, but I'd like to see who the back-up 1Bman is. (Ref makes sense.)

Romy might be the best of the bunch, which isn't saying much.

I do not think DHam plays good enough defense, even at 2B to be worth keeping.

Reyes looked okay, last year: this year, not so much.

They all look like they could be DFA'd, but replacement infielders are not likely any better.

Deity
    I think Valdez is a much better hitter than he has shown, so far, this year, and better than all of these guys on the list, but his defense is so bad, he'd have to be a good enough hitter to win the DH job. This is doubtful.

I have no issues DFA'ing Dalbec, but I'd like to see who the back-up 1Bman is. (Ref makes sense.)

Romy might be the best of the bunch, which isn't saying much.

I do not think DHam plays good enough defense, even at 2B to be worth keeping.

Reyes looked okay, last year: this year, not so much.

They all look like they could be DFA'd, but replacement infielders are not likely any better.
    Valdez has a replaceable bat. I think the Sox would be better with Hamilton at 2b over him…

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    BRUINS now lead PO series against the Laffs 3-1. Jeremy Swayman has been terrific.

Years ago Yankem fans asked Pedro "Who's your daddy?"
    Now BRUINS fans can ask Matthews "Who's your daddy?" And Matthews would answer "Swayman; he's my mommy and daddy."
    The above post has nothing to do with me believing the BRUINS will win the Cup. As much as they've overachieved this season, I just don't believe they have enough to win the toughest championship in all team sports. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
    We SOX fans have suffered mightily from the hands of the Yankems over the years, but not as much as Toronto fans have suffered at the hands of the BRUINS.
    It's almost criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    The above post has nothing to do with me believing the BRUINS will win the Cup. As much as they've overachieved this season, I just don't believe they have enough to win the toughest championship in all team sports. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
    We SOX fans have suffered mightily from the hands of the Yankems over the years, but not as much as Toronto fans have suffered at the hands of the BRUINS.
    It's almost criminal.
    Win the series first, then make the opposition cry. Don't tempt fate.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Win the series first, then make the opposition cry. Don't tempt fate.
    True. And the BRUINS did blow a 3-1 PO lead last season, but it wasn't against the Leafs.

Deity
    Our old friend kimbrel up to no good with the birds. Blowing games left and right.

Valdez has a replaceable bat. I think the Sox would be better with Hamilton at 2b over him…
    The 2024 Valdez bat certainly looks replaceable.

I do think DHam is better on D and base-running.

Close call, but neither is likely to be an overall plus.