Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/17 Sox @ St Louis, 8:15 pm

Deity

5/17 Sox @ St Louis, 8:15 pm

Bello (R) vs. Gibson (R)

Edge to Bello, but who knows these days with a defense that leads MLB in giving up unearned runs (36 in 44 games, almost 1 per game)? That same lineup is also a "leader" in failing to drive in runs, except of course, that one glorious game in which they scored 17 vs the Cubs.

And now closer Kelsey Jansen is looking vulnerable by relying almost exclusively on his cutter.

Despite the above, the Sox are still @ .500, primarily because the pitching has been incredibly good. The Sox ERA of 2.91 is ridiculously low and still the best in MLB.

220 years ago Lewis and Clark set out from St Louis (pop. 5000) with their Corps of Discovery. 107 years ago Branch Rickey became the club president and business manager of the Cardinals--and stayed there for 25 years while creating the first ever farm system, the gashouse gang, etc. 65 years ago Bob Gibson, one of the greatest MLB pitchers ever, having tired of playing with the Harlem Globetrotters and joined the Cardinals minor league system, debuted (as a reliever) with the Cardinals against the Dodgers.

When I saw the Cards' pitcher Gibson posted by Max as the starter, I immediately thought of Bob Gibson.
    But the Cards don't need Bob Gibson to shut down the SOX line-up; hell, Hoot Gibson could handle this SOX offense.

Deity
    Big game for the Sox tonight as a loss will dip them below 500. I know I’ll get accurate reports on here. Thank god the Bruins are back tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Big game for the Sox tonight as a loss will dip them below 500. I know I’ll get accurate reports on here. Thank god the Bruins are back tonight.
    I will be recording the SOX game for later viewing. The BRUINS are the main priority tonight by a long shot.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I will be recording the SOX game for later viewing. The BRUINS are the main priority tonight by a long shot.
    Go Bruins!👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    When I saw the Cards' pitcher Gibson posted by Max as the starter, I immediately thought of Bob Gibson.
    But the Cards don't need Bob Gibson to shut down the SOX line-up; hell, Hoot Gibson could handle this SOX offense.
    Other 'Gibsons' who could shut down the SOX:

Mel (actor/director)
    Henry (comedian)
    Charles (TV broadcaster)
    John (pro-hockey goalie)

On main threads there is a little discussion on the advisability of extending O'Neill . Must still have their calendars tuned to April.

SSS, but in last 15 games, 55 AB's + 8 BB's, leading to a .164/.579 slash, 1 HR, a 3 runner leading to his 8 RBI's. The big story is the 29 K's in those 63 PA's.(46%).

How much did the noggin His banging with Devers create issues for O'Neill ? His last 7 games are actually less productive than last 15, sporting a .120 /.547, with the 3 run HR being his only bright spot. I'm sure he can come back around but not helping right now.

Deity
    It is incredibly dismaying to see the Sox highest paid player to make errors that cost games and, as we just saw, GIDP with 2 men on.

If you're a Sox ticket holder who regularly goes to games at Fenway, it would make sense not to go when the Sox marquee player consistently contributes to losses.

Deity
    Bello, a fellow Dominican, takes the heat off Devers by getting pounded by a double and then a 2 run home run.

Deity
    Looks like the Cardinals love Bello's sinker almost as much as he does.

Deity
    This team should finish in last place again. They’re downright terrible.

After watching Garrett Cooper play a number of games for the Red Sox I’ve come to the conclusion that he sucks.

Deity
    Really stupid at bat by Cooper, swinging and missing at two straight sweepers in the dirt. With men on 1st and 2d and no one out (until he K'd).

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Really stupid at bat by Cooper, swinging and missing at two straight sweepers in the dirt. With men on 1st and 2d and no one out (until he K'd).
    Now Grissom does exactly the same thing.

Great trade for Sale getting Grissom.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."