Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/20 SOX @ Rays 6:50PM ET

5/20 SOX @ Rays 6:50PM ET

Houck vs Bradley(RH)

SOX are in the crap state of Florida playing the 1st of 3 in an equally crappy ballpark against a team that owns them.

Hopefully, the SOX can try to get un-owned starting tonight.

Go SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Houck vs Bradley(RH)

SOX are in the crap state of Florida playing the 1st of 3 in an equally crappy ballpark against a team that owns them.

Go SOX!
    Unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Unbelievable.
    I don't like the flatness or the heat, but there are lots of people who love Florida. Why anyone would want to live in Tampa is beyond me, but I do give them credit for staying away from the Trop.

The Rays, on the other hand, are absolutely fascinating in how they stay competitive with such low salaries.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    It's so hot here I feel like my nuts are stewing on the rare occasions I am outside the range of an A/C.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Houck vs Bradley(RH)

Go SOX!
    Wild applause for last night's win. The Sox were just along for the ride.

Deity
    Duran CF OPS .784
    Abreu RF .822
    O'Neill LF .932
    Devers 3B .939
    Wong DH .916
    Smith 1B .476
    Hamilton SS .757
    McGuire C .663
    Rafaela SS .569

Six lefty bats for the good guys. Grissom gets a day off with Hamilton @ 2b.

Since .663 is a good OPS for a catcher, only two in the Sox lineup--Rafaela and Smith--can be considered weak hitters.

Duran, Abreu, Wong, Hamilton, and Rafaela are all in their 1st or 2d full seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    It's so hot here I feel like my nuts are stewing on the rare occasions I am outside the range of an A/C.
    SoFL has had record heat the past few days. Dewpoint has been in the 80's as well. And it's only Summer Jr. The real shit hasn't even started yet.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Sox team ERA is 2d best in MLB, and they Rays' is 20th. Sox runs scored are 13th and the Rays 17th.

Sox run differential is +28 and the Rays is -29.

But Sox are 23-24 and the Rays 25-23.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-20-2024 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I don't like the flatness or the heat, but there are lots of people who love Florida. Why anyone would want to live in Tampa is beyond me, but I do give them credit for staying away from the Trop.

The Rays, on the other hand, are absolutely fascinating in how they stay competitive with such low salaries.
    I don't have a problem with the flatness or heat. The love the ecology of FL. The state government and most of the people that live here or come down in the winter suck balls.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity

Florida offers a nice combination of a tropical climate and some older architecture that you just don’t get in other warmer states…

Anywhere you live has its advantages and its drawbacks. The people I know who have moved to Florida have no desire to come back.
    Old school is good school.

Sox team ERA is 2d best in MLB, and they Rays' is 20th. Sox runs scored are 13th and the Rays 17th.

Sox run differential is +28 and the Rays is -29.

But Sox are 23-24 and the Rays 25-23.
    That relates to a thing called timely hitting, which the SOX have not been too efficient at for a large part of the season.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-20-2024 at 05:18 PM.

Run differential is about equal to pitcher's WQ-L records to evaluate talent. Look at Mr. 3-5 Houck.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Run differential is about equal to pitcher's WQ-L records to evaluate talent. Look at Mr. 3-5 Houck.
    Wrong! Go look at the MLB standings which also show the run differentials, and you will see the correlation between W-L records and run differential is pretty close.

The Sox are the exception, which reconfirms how untimely Sox hitting can be. They might lose several close games, then win, as they did last night, 11-3--or, better still, 17-0 against the Cubs--and then lapse back to scoring few runs. This is also where all those solo dingers come into play.

You can beat the Rays and you can beat the heat, but you can't beat the umpires or a RedSox first inning.