Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/22 SOX @ Rays 6:50PM ET

Btw, tonight's HP chUMPIRE has been excellent on his calls. Almost robo-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    The guy I'm thinking of is Daniel Nava. He stayed on 2d when the next Sox batter bounced one off the RF wall.

And don't forget knuckleballer Wright who pinch-ran, slid back to 2b (I think on a throw) and injured himself badly enough to go on the 60 day IL.
    If Wright was still on the team, the SOX would have a battery of Wright and Wong.

Great game, great run by the Sox, but up ahead looms armageddon. The Sox have to go back to dreaded Fenway Park, where dreams are demolished.
    Truly bewildering with the W-L record at Fenway, and it is not a 1 year aberration. Winning at home for this team should be a given.

I can wait. The guy went on the 60 day IL just from swinging a freaking bat. I think he's due for TammyJohn surgery.
    An actual concern going forward , at least this year, is that Casas will always be one swing away from reinjuring it.

And it does seem to take time ( weeks) for him to get up to speed at bat.
    Last edited by vegasbob; 05-22-2024 at 08:06 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    If Wright was still on the team, the SOX would have a battery of Wright and Wong.
    Actually, I think Wong could catch a knuckleballer.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    An actual concern going forward at least this year is that Casas will always be one swing away from reinjuring it.

And it does seem to take time ( weeks) for him to get up to speed at bat.
    Well, one thing's for sure. Casas won't get Wally Pipped by either of the 2 guys playing 1st at the present.

Actually, I think Wong could catch a knuckleballer.
    If not, the SOX FO could always give Montgomery a call.

If not, the SOX FO could always give Montgomery a call.
    Having checked the internet on Monty, I discovered that he was the last major leaguer to bat w/o wearing a helmet.

Deity
    Grissom is off the hook. Aranda of the Rays went back to 1b on a grounder to Grissom, which he completely mishandled, but still had plenty of time to get Aranda out.

Having checked the internet on Monty, I discovered that he was the last major leaguer to bat w/o wearing a helmet.
    This fits in nicely with another old SOX player, Don Zimmer, who was beaned seriously enough to initiate the use of batting helmets in MLB.

Zach kelly is another thrower, not pitcher. I would not want him in a high leverage situation which he almost created in the 8th. A 2.18 WHIP and 10 walks in 7 innings over his last 7 appearances provides evidence.

Grissom is off the hook. Aranda of the Rays went back to 1b on a grounder to Grissom, which he completely mishandled, but still had plenty of time to get Aranda out.
    I recall a few TalkSoxers constantly referring to Grissom as he faltered getting ready to play in early May. I don't know Vaughn personally but had feeling he was not all that he was cracked up to be ( short on experience). He does offer club control for multiple years and maybe will learn to hit. He has been unlucky with his hard hit balls going At'em. However , 60 PA's with ONE walk tells something

Overall, not sure where this one can go. i think only upwards because you could not be a lot worse to date.

Kelly is determined to make this a save situation for Kenley. Burn your teammates, Zach.

Here's another thing that came to mind. In both 1967 and 1975 the SOX lost the WS in 7 games. In '67 they entered the WS w/o Conigliaro, who was hit in the eye by a Jack Hamilton fast ball. In 1975 they entered the WS w/o Jim Rice, who was hit in the arm by a bad pitch. Both were major contributors in those respective years.

Sweeping their way back to Fenway.