Thread: The Grissom Watch

The Grissom Watch

Grissom
    65 PA's
    129/169/145 OPS 314

Dalbec
    59 PA's
    132/207/170 OPS 377

Grissom has to start turning this around soon, right?

Maybe me starting this thread will do the trick.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The thing I keep coming back to is that he's a PROSPECT. Yes, he had some major league experience in 2022 and 2023, and on the face of it the numbers he posted in 2022-23 were "OK" - a 105 OPS+. But if you dig a little deeper you'll see that he got off to a red hot start in 2022, with a 1.123 OPS in his first 14 games. After that he gradually cooled down. In his last 15 games in 2022 he hit 174/264/196 for an OPS of 460. His OPS in 2023 was 659. It's fair to say that after that red hot start in 2022 it's been mostly a struggle to hit MLB pitching.

I'm also a bit shocked at the lack of power. He hasn't homered in his last 54 MLB games.

Jeter Downs act 2.. remember though the Sox won the trade even though they are still paying 17 million for Sale to pitch in Atlanta.

Deity
    Notin says Grissom is just unlucky to have his BA that low. Personally I think he’s lucky to have a BA as high as it is.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Notin says Grissom is just unlucky to have his BA that low. Personally I think he’s lucky to have a BA as high as it is.
    A BABIP of .167 with a line drive rate of 25% is absolutely unlucky. What’s your logic for calling him lucky, I ask, not expecting any sort of actual response?

More concerning to me is that the Braves changed their minds rather quickly on Vaughn Grissom. They were ok letting Swanson leave, and seemingly prepared to at least add Griz to last year's MLB roster. Opening Day they gave the starting shortstop position to Orlando Arcia -- a guy who hadn't been a big league regular since 2019.

Last Spring Griz hit .277 with a .622 OPS in 70 PA in the majors (numbers that dwarf his Red Sox start of .129 and .314 in 65 PA). Then Atlanta sent him back to the minors.

With no fit for Grissom on the parent club, the Braves were trying to make him an outfielder in winter ball. Then they traded him. The Braves rarely lose a trade.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A BABIP of .167 with a line drive rate of 25% is absolutely unlucky. What’s your logic for calling him lucky, I ask, not expecting any sort of actual response?
    Most fans I believe ONLY see one thing, and that his BA, and most don’t give a rat’s ass about his line drive rate, or BABIP, or anything else.🙈🤭

Deity
    Most fans I believe ONLY see one thing, and that his BA, and most don’t give a rat’s ass about his line drive rate, or BABIP, or anything else.����
    And what does that have to do with him being lucky?

Or will this just be another one of those “it’s just my opinion” things people like to hide behind?
    Last edited by notin; 05-25-2024 at 08:45 AM.

Everything I read from Atlanta papers was how bad he was at shortstop.

Look I am NOT married to anyone. I don't care who takes control of 2B. At some point he has to produce or he should be sent down to work on his game. You have to give him a path to succeed.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Deity
    I’ll let you answer that one. That’s why you have all those N’s in front of your name.

Deity

Or will this just be another one of those “it’s just my opinion” things people like to hide behind?
    I bet you are the ONLY one in Red Sox Nation that says Grissom is just unlucky.

In 2023's 80 PA's Grissom hit .280, but his OBP was only .313 and his SLG only .347.

I think there are more reasons to be concerned than just his BA. The lack of power and shortage of walks are issues too.

Even if more of the line drives start falling in we might be looking at an average or below average hitter.

Deity
    I bet you are the ONLY one in Red Sox Nation that says Grissom is just unlucky.
    What’s your point? That I’m the only one who’s right?

The way Grissom has hit the ball, meaning his GB/LD/FB splits, his BA really should be .250-275 range. It’s nowhere near that.

So why do you say he’s lucky?
    Last edited by notin; 05-25-2024 at 09:27 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In 2023's 80 PA's Grissom hit .280, but his OBP was only .313 and his SLG only .347.

I think there are more reasons to be concerned than just his BA. The lack of power and shortage of walks are issues too.

Even if more of the line drives start falling in we might be looking at an average or below average hitter.
    Yeah his 5% walk rate is definitely not good. It was 10% in the minors, but it’s going backwards…
    Last edited by notin; 05-25-2024 at 09:26 AM.

Personally, I would rather have a guy with a high BA than a high 'line-drive-rate'. Since he hasn't hit a HR in two years, and fewer than half those line drives are hits, I'm guessing they aren't exactly bullets.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.