Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grissom Watch

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Pedroia benefited to some extent from having his adjustment period at the end of a lost 2006 season and then the first month of the 2007 season. Then he caught fire.
    And in more than 65 PA.

Also he was roughly the same age in 2006 as Grissom is now…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    One issue with Grissom to date is he isn’t much of an exit velocity guy. And if you’re not going to hit the ball with authority, you do need to walk more than he does and probably strike out less.
    Seems like that might be a problem.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Seems like that might be a problem.
    In combo with some of the other factors.

Of course, he’s only put 48 balls in play this year. So a couple 5mph dribblers can drag that number down. StatCast refuses to even rank him due to the number of data points involved…

And in more than 65 PA.

Also he was roughly the same age in 2006 as Grissom is now…
    Some of it comes down to circumstances. Pedroia was a highly touted homegrown prospect. You're sort of obliged to give a guy like that some leash. He had his initiation as a callup in a dead season.

Grissom is a guy we traded for who was expected to step right in as a starter, with some MLB experience and great minor league numbers. I'm not sure how much leash they can give him.

And of course it doesn't help that the guy they traded for him is posting Cy Young numbers.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Some of it comes down to circumstances. Pedroia was a highly touted homegrown prospect. You're sort of obliged to give a guy like that some leash. He had his initiation as a callup in a dead season.

Grissom is a guy we traded for who was expected to step right in as a starter, with some MLB experience and great minor league numbers. I'm not sure how much leash they can give him.

And of course it doesn't help that the guy they traded for him is posting Cy Young numbers.
    Isn’t that really the entire reason for the concern? If Sale was pitching like he did from 2020-2023, or should I say NOT pitching like he did from 2020-2023, is anyone as concerned about Grissom? Or do we look at him like he’s a potential good find attached to a salary dump? But since Sale is back to bring his old self for 9 games, suddenly there is this huge need to justify the trade.

Grissom is who he is regardless of what Sale does. But it does seem like he’s not being evaluated that way…

Patience is a virtue. Let's give him a little more time to show what he can do. But at some point, he has to figure it out or someone else will take his spot. You can't keep making excuses for him indefinitely just to try and justify the trade.
    Old school is good school.

Grissom got off to a bad start by being on the PUP list longer than he's now been playing. He'll get plenty of time to work on his hitting, though it will be at the MLB level. Had Valdez, Hamilton or Reyes been able to play consistent defense and hit a little, Grissom could have been given more time with WooSox

Interestingly, Dalbec, Valdez, Reyes have been hitting well at Worcester , proving they really are AAA players who cannot make the jump to MLBV pitching. Hamilton may be showing improvement with more reps lately.

I'd say some of the expectations of Grissom were put on him by the organization. They traded Chris Sale for him and penciled him as the 2024 second baseman. We heard stories about how he was a star in the making.

How much of a leash are they prepared to give him in a season that supposedly matters?

With Hamilton suddenly hitting so well, they now have options.
    This is true, I also think if the offense was a little bit better they could plug him 7-9th and just plug him in with no pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    Isn’t that really the entire reason for the concern? If Sale was pitching like he did from 2020-2023, or should I say NOT pitching like he did from 2020-2023, is anyone as concerned about Grissom? Or do we look at him like he’s a potential good find attached to a salary dump? But since Sale is back to bring his old self for 9 games, suddenly there is this huge need to justify the trade.

Grissom is who he is regardless of what Sale does. But it does seem like he’s not being evaluated that way…
    Like it, or not he’s getting judged, and treated the Boston way. Like I’ve mentioned before how a new comer gets off to a start in Boston is huge, and even then sometimes what have you done for me lately wins out. O’Neil got off to a great start, but he’s been struggling for a while now, and now is not talked about to favorably. Like I’ve said many times on here a prospect/suspect is useless until they are producing in a Red Sox uniform, or traded for someone who does. At the moment Grissom is pretty much useless. Will he get better most likely, and time will tell.

A whole thread on a guys first few weeks of play?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    well it got you in on it

We the fans are focused

Who is going to join the futures team with Devers,
    Wong, Casas, Duran, Rafaela and Abreu?
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Deity
    Pretty SUSPECT isn’t it?

Deity
    True, but unfortunately Grissom's numbers are so epically bad it's hard not to fixate on them. They're worse than Dalbec's, and Dalbec's 2024 sample was enough to convince everyone that he's just not a major league hitter.

But Dalbec’s numbers are skewed due to partial platoonining. And StatCast has him as far worse than Grissom. His “hot streak” that bulked him to his levels today included 3 weak infield grounders that went for singles and a “hard hit” single that reached the outfield, but was hit off Cub 1b/DH Matt Mervis…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Like it, or not he’s getting judged, and treated the Boston way. Like I’ve mentioned before how a new comer gets off to a start in Boston is huge, and even then sometimes what have you done for me lately wins out. O’Neil got off to a great start, but he’s been struggling for a while now, and now is not talked about to favorably. Like I’ve said many times on here a prospect/suspect is useless until they are producing in a Red Sox uniform, or traded for someone who does. At the moment Grissom is pretty much useless. Will he get better most likely, and time will tell.

The Boston Way is impatience? A bunch of “what have you done for me lately?” fans?

da gale house and I do not agree on much with regards to baseball, but post 36 on this thread from him sums it all up…