Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grissom Watch

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Not many posters would post two dozen posts on the same thread, object to everything anyone else said, then repeat the point made by others, then conclude by referring to one of his own posts as definitive. I'm used to this in academia, but I've rarely seen it here!
    Huh?

Post 36 on this thread as I see it is the one dgalehouse made that starts with “Patience is a virtue…”. I assumed it was that way on yours and everyone else’s. Maybe not. I don’t know if it counts posts made by posters you may have blocked, if there are any.

What post did you think post 36 was?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    NOBODY said it had anything to do with Grissom.🤭🙈
    The thread title did…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The thread title did…
    Wow! Another N for you. As if people always stick to the title thread. C’mon man!

Deity
    Wow! Another N for you. As if people always stick to the title thread. C’mon man!
    Did you not read how that conversation was going?

Deity

Did you not read how that conversation was going?
    NNNNNNN. Enough said.🙈🤭🤮

The Braves sent Grissom back to the minors last year when he was doing much better than he is right now for Boston. But it makes sense for a first-place team to lose patience quicker. The Red Sox are going nowhere, so why not give Grissom a couple months to find his groove?

The Pedroia comps were just to show that even borderline Hall of Famers often need transition periods to adjust to the bigs. It's not news; how many ballplayers were named Al Kaline, and are enshrined in Cooperstown after never playing a single day in the minors?

The difference between Pedey and Griz was that the '07 Sox -- and most Red Sox teams in that decade -- considered themselves World Series contenders. So when Pedroia struggled, fans and media (Remy included) were calling for Cora to play second base. It just turned out that the Sox were so stacked that they could keep Dustin around a lot longer, until he became a star to make them even better.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The Braves sent Grissom back to the minors last year when he was doing much better than he is right now for Boston. But it makes sense for a first-place team to lose patience quicker. The Red Sox are going nowhere, so why not give Grissom a couple months to find his groove?

The Pedroia comps were just to show that even borderline Hall of Famers often need transition periods to adjust to the bigs. It's not news; how many ballplayers were named Al Kaline, and are enshrined in Cooperstown after never playing a single day in the minors?

The difference between Pedey and Griz was that the '07 Sox -- and most Red Sox teams in that decade -- considered themselves World Series contenders. So when Pedroia struggled, fans and media (Remy included) were calling for Cora to play second base. It just turned out that the Sox were so stacked that they could keep Dustin around a lot longer, until he became a star to make them even better.
    Right, and the 2024 Red Sox are not stacked, and they needed more offense, and fairly or not, Grissom was expected to fill some of that need.

If they're going to write off 2024 then sure, give him a ton of leash. If 2024 matters it becomes a trickier call.

Tonight is his second healthy scratch in the last 5 games. So it's not like I'm making something out of nothing here. They're obviously concerned too.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Right, and the 2024 Red Sox are not stacked, and they needed more offense, and fairly or not, Grissom was expected to fill some of that need.

If they're going to write off 2024 then sure, give him a ton of leash. If 2024 matters it becomes a trickier call.

Tonight is his second healthy scratch in the last 5 games. So it's not like I'm making something out of nothing here. They're obviously concerned too.

Of course they’re concerned. But not to the point of writing him off, which has been done on this thread.

Reportedly Breslow insisted on Grissom. That tells us he had some clear faith in him as a player. I don’t know what Breslow looks for, but Grissom’s track record prior to this session certainly provides some hope.

And how concerned would people be if Sale was not looking like his 2017 self? Sale has 2.0 bWAR this season, and it seems like that has made a lot of people forget he had 2.6 bWAR total from 2020-2023.

The trade isn’t working out right now, but it was still a sensible trade. What did people think Sale was worth in a trade after missing most of the past 4 seasons?

Of course they’re concerned. But not to the point of writing him off, which has been done on this thread.

Reportedly Breslow insisted on Grissom. That tells us he had some clear faith in him as a player. I don’t know what Breslow looks for, but Grissom’s track record prior to this session certainly provides some hope.

And how concerned would people be if Sale was not looking like his 2017 self? Sale has 2.0 bWAR this season, and it seems like that has made a lot of people forget he had 2.6 bWAR total from 2020-2023.

The trade isn’t working out right now, but it was still a sensible trade. What did people think Sale was worth in a trade after missing most of the past 4 seasons?
    That's part of why they shouldn't have done it. They weren't getting much back. Should have just rolled the dice on him. All they saved on the deal was $10 million. Not much in the big picture.

Deity

Who said anything about writing Grissom off? NO ONE! You keep going on, and on about Sale’s past, because that’s all you got, because at the moment the trade looks pretty lopsided, but things could change at any time, and if it does the narrative will change with it. Something that you can’t comprehend, but until it does things will stay as is like it, or not.

Deity
    That's part of why they shouldn't have done it. They weren't getting much back. Should have just rolled the dice on him. All they saved on the deal was $10 million. Not much in the big picture.
    Saved $10M, but are still paying someone else $17M for Sale to pitch for them, and presently looking like his old self again.

Deity
    I don’t think they view it that way at all. I think Breslow clearly has a lot more faith in Grissom than you do. And it’s possible he’s not deterred by a 65 PA sample size…

I don’t think they view it that way at all. I think Breslow clearly has a lot more faith in Grissom than you do. And it’s possible he’s not deterred by a 65 PA sample size…
    He doesn't have much choice in the matter. What's done is done.

Deity
    Who said anything about writing Grissom off? NO ONE! You keep going on, and on about Sale’s past, because that’s all you got, because at the moment the trade looks pretty lopsided, but things could change at any time, and if it does the narrative will change with it. Something that you can’t comprehend, but until it does things will stay as is like it, or not.
    Not true no one has written him off. Go back and re-read this thread, starting at post #3.

I’ve repeatedly said this deal isn’t working out, but it did make sense at the time. In fact, that’s all I’ve ever offered on this trade since the season began. Like a lot of people, this deal looked better to me in the off-season when Sale making 8 starts was far from a sure thing.

Also Sale’s past was definitely a factor. His 2024 season hadn’t happened yet. It was what they were selling, and why they had to pay.

You’re so desperate to tell people they’re wrong that you just ignore it when they agree with you..
    Last edited by notin; 05-25-2024 at 07:01 PM.

I'm not really even blaming Breslow for the trade. I think it had a lot to do with the budget they handed him. It was a way to cut $10 million.

I think this is another one on FSG.