Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheets...Ben Sheets

Re: Sheets...Ben Sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny
    :lol: I can't help but picture Jack Black kicking the dog off of the bridge in Anchorman.
    Jack Black is god. So is Tenacios D.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny
    1. The Yankees, with the worst farm system in baseball, will be unable to trade for Sheets.
    2. The Yankees will not be able to even talk to Ben Sheets until after 2006 and he could potentially be in their 2007 rotation.
    3. By that time, Randy Johnson's knee will have collapsed and he will be essentially retired, Mike Mussina will be a staple on the DL, Carl Pavano will discover that low K totals in the AL lead to high ERA's and Jaret Wright will be getting fat on his couch after his Ricotta cheese shoulder explodes (for the umpteenth time).

Zen, I've said this a thousand times, but here is 1,001...you're my freakin' hero man.
    In Plump We Trust.

"That was a very well laid out, rational point. But I will still hold to my emotional opinion based on no facts or evidence." - Everyone but Plump.

Let me tell u y this wont happen the brewers new owner has lots of cash and he will make this number 1 job to sgin him back i heard that MLB.com also he grew up yankees fan and when he bought team he said this was like a child hood dreams when he hit walkoffhomeruns off the redsox pitchers
    Like to talk more then Just sox
    http://balloonmaster.proboards44.com/index.cgi
    It great site to talk about other sports and your sox or your Fav. team sim leaguie on the way March of 2005

I would love to get Ben Sheets and everything....but I want Santana somehow. I don't know if there would ever be a way to get him...but he is the ultimate pitcher.

When he pitches, its an automatic win. He's exciting too, like a Mike Vick kinda pitcher.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SchillingIsTheNatural
    I would love to get Ben Sheets and everything....but I want Santana somehow. I don't know if there would ever be a way to get him...but he is the ultimate pitcher.
    ben sheets is going to be better than santana. i also don't think santana will continue to put up numbers like he did in the 2nd half of 2004. we'll see though.

john
    Most dominant pitcher
    Quote Originally Posted by CrespoBlows
    The A's are going to finish dead last this year in the AL West.
    They won't win the AL West for the next 3 years, the Angels will definaltly be on top of them.
    If you are stupid, I will make fun of you. :harhar:

Quote Originally Posted by ahhchon
    ben sheets is going to be better than santana. i also don't think santana will continue to put up numbers like he did in the 2nd half of 2004. we'll see though.

john

I agree. I think Sheets will be the Schilling of the next generation but he learned to pitch at a much earlier age. Sheets is going to be wicked and continue to improve and I think Santana has reached his peak.
    In Plump We Trust.

"That was a very well laid out, rational point. But I will still hold to my emotional opinion based on no facts or evidence." - Everyone but Plump.

I think we may be overvaluing a great season, and it was great. He does seem, however, to be one of the better young pitchers in the league. Don't compare him to Santana or Schilling until he has another great season, though.

Major Leaguer

I'm not sold on Santana at all.

Quote Originally Posted by yagmaster
    I think we may be overvaluing a great season, and it was great. He does seem, however, to be one of the better young pitchers in the league. Don't compare him to Santana or Schilling until he has another great season, though.
    aren't you contradicting yourself? You're saying don't be sold on 1 great season, then you're saying he's not like a santana who did have 1 great season.
    Go knicks
    "Trot Nixon, what's that? I thought it was a racehorse." --Reggie Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksin2010
    aren't you contradicting yourself? You're saying don't be sold on 1 great season, then you're saying he's not like a santana who did have 1 great season.
    Santana's career ERA: 3.47
    Sheets' career ERA: 3.92

Santana's career win percentage: .705
    Sheets' career win percentage: .459

Two years ago, Santana was 12 - 3 with a 3.07 ERA, and he only started for half of the season. Sheets was 11 - 13 with a 4.45 ERA and he started the whole season.

Please don't tell me that Santana has only had one good season; he has been nasty for his entire career. I understand Sheets' season last year was INCREDIBLE, but let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. And I'll leave you with this, the vastly overrated Carl Pavano's lifetime ERA, at 4.21, isn't much worse than Sheets'.

Sheets is better then Pavano. Pavano is so overrated. Sheets is pretty good but i'm not sold on him either.

Major Leaguer

They're both 25. Their career numbers up to now mean very little, if anything. This is what I care about right now:

Ben Sheets K/BB: 2004- 8.25, CAREER- 3.55
    Johan Santana K/BB: 2004- 4.91, CAREER- 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox Rule
    They're both 25. Their career numbers up to now mean very little, if anything. This is what I care about right now:

Ben Sheets K/BB: 2004- 8.25, CAREER- 3.55
    Johan Santana K/BB: 2004- 4.91, CAREER- 3.01
    I agree with you about Ben Sheets, but I think you are overlooking something about Johan Santana. He has been excellent every year he has been in the Majors. If K/BB is that stat that you go by, here are Santana's numbers:

2000: 1.19
    2001: 1.75
    2002: 2.80
    2003: 3.60
    2004: 4.91

I agree that a sudden huge jump is the sign of an unproven pitcher, but look at Santana's numbers. He has shown constant improvement EVERY season. To me, that's a sign of a great young pitcher.

I also think that you overlook some things when you judge them based only on K/BB. ERA is a very important stat, and his ERA has always been excellent. To say a pitcher is as good as his K/BB ratio is a little faulty.

And I leave you with this. Roger Clemens, the best pitcher of our generation, last year's CY Young Award Winner, and the highest paid pitcher of all time, has a career K/BB ratio of 2.96.

All-Star

What I look for in the true sign of a growing and developing pitcher to have future success is K/BB. Sheets was dominant last year and, if he avoids injury, he will be for the next decade.