Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scott williamson

scott williamson

Jan. 19 - The Cubs agreed to a minor league deal with reliever Scott Williamson. The 28-year-old right-hander will earn a salary of $316,000, or $500,000 if he's called up, The Chicago Tribune reports. The Cubs also hold an option on Williamson for 2006.
    Williamson, who underwent elbow surgery in mid-October, isn't expected back until at least August. He was 0-1 with a 1.26 ERA in 28 relief appearances for Boston last season.

All-Star

Re: scott williamson

my God, man, that injury must have been horrible.
    I remeber he almost was put on the world series roster, he must must be hurt far more than they let on.
    That salary is about as low as you can go.

All-Star

for that price i don't see why the sox didn't sign him. if they are willing to risk 750k on mantei i don't see why they won't risk 300-500k on williamson. those 2 (if healthy) with foulke would/could take so much off our starters if needed.

john
    Most dominant pitcher
    Quote Originally Posted by CrespoBlows
    The A's are going to finish dead last this year in the AL West.
    They won't win the AL West for the next 3 years, the Angels will definaltly be on top of them.
    If you are stupid, I will make fun of you. :harhar:

Agreed, if their going to possibly pay only MLB minimum salary I would have done that in a hearbeat, but Williamson also said last year he wants to close. The Cubs have a horrible pen, and he would easily be their closer. That might have affected his decision b/c Theo would have made that offer easy.
    In Plump We Trust.

"That was a very well laid out, rational point. But I will still hold to my emotional opinion based on no facts or evidence." - Everyone but Plump.

Major Leaguer

Why the hell didn't we sign him to a Jon Lieber deal?

All-Star

it's not like he's going to be the closer for the cubs. i'm sure they are going to try hawkins there again.

john
    Most dominant pitcher
    They won't win the AL West for the next 3 years, the Angels will definaltly be on top of them.

At least for next year, Williamson is infinitly better than Hawkins (mental make up...please see the 2003 ALCS).
    In Plump We Trust.

"That was a very well laid out, rational point. But I will still hold to my emotional opinion based on no facts or evidence." - Everyone but Plump.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumpamania
    At least for next year, Williamson is infinitly better than Hawkins (mental make up...please see the 2003 ALCS).
    Williamson is out until at least August, so Hawkins will get his shot.

I agree though.... I'd take a healthy Williamson back in a second.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

All-Star

any have any idea how much nen and beck are looking for. nen was absolutely filthy before the 2003 season (which he didn't play at all).

i can't see offering him a min contract with millions more in incentives. if we're willing to gamble 750k on mantei i don't see why we won't with nen. this guy was my fav closer, still is if he can get healthy again.

what about beck, timlin is getting old and embree has lost speed on that fastball. i'm just never too comfortable with those oldies on the mound. i trust them, but not too much :-(

john
    Most dominant pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by ahhchon
    any have any idea how much nen and beck are looking for. nen was absolutely filthy before the 2003 season (which he didn't play at all).

i can't see offering him a min contract with millions more in incentives. if we're willing to gamble 750k on mantei i don't see why we won't with nen. this guy was my fav closer, still is if he can get healthy again.

what about beck, timlin is getting old and embree has lost speed on that fastball. i'm just never too comfortable with those oldies on the mound. i trust them, but not too much :-(

john
    Beck isn't exactly young either..and we had him a few years back.
    In Plump We Trust.

All-Star

an incentive loaded contract of course..

john
    Most dominant pitcher

john
    Robb Nenn hasn't pitched since 2002, and as nasty as he was in 2002, his K/9 and K/BB numbers were trending downward since 2000 before he got hurt. Also, his BAA was trending upward in those 3 seasons.....

He's worth a minor league contract with an invitation to ST, but I'd be worried about a seemingly healthy 34 year old arm with those trends.... let alone someone who's been basically out of action 2 years.

Rod Beck was actually a decent pitcher throughout his Red Sox career, and in 2003 with San Diego pitched very well (in limited work though). In 2004 he pitched in even fewer games, and was not effective. San Diego released him August 17th, 2004, but he doesn't seem to have the injury issues Nen had.

Still, at 36, Beck is also a big risk.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

All-Star

but at league min contracts with incentives it's not a very big risk, considering it's pocket change for henry.

john
    Most dominant pitcher

but at league min contracts with incentives it's not a very big risk, considering it's pocket change for henry.

john

if you say thet timlin and embree are old and that you dont trust them, why do you think beck would be getting younger and better. he is definitly not better than either of them. i think hes done.
    Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs.

All-Star

my bad, i didn't check his health record. i just remember hearing he was having a good year sometime ago, then i saw his name so i brought it up.

nen on the other hand.. i would like to see theo make it happen.

john
    Most dominant pitcher