Thread: June 24th @ Philadelphia

All-Star

June 24th @ Philadelphia

Tim Wakefield
    (5-6, 4.41 ERA)

vs.
    Jon Lieber
    (8-6, 4.63 ERA)

Guess what? Jon Lieber has given up TWENTY homeruns this year.
    In 2004, Lieber was 1-0 with a 4.19 ERA in 3 starts against the Red Sox. Mueller and Millar have enjoyed HUGE success against Lieber, going a combined 24 for 52 against him with 8 extra base hits. Any chance Millar will start tonight with Manny, Ortiz, or Nixon on the bench? No DH this series.

The only Phillie who has EVER faced Wakefield is Ramon E. Martinez, a bench player who is 1-8 this year for the Phillies.

Re: June 24th @ Philadelphia

Awesome. Looks like we could win it.

All-Star

Whooops, I was wrong. I looked up the stats incorrectly, there are plenty of Phillies who have faced Wake. I knew that seemed wrong.
    Abreu, Bell, and Lieberthal all have had success.

Ah well. Our hitting is doing so well. Wake just needs to hold them to not too many hits, hopefully.

With Mirabelli already starting in place of Tek, it would be hard to imagine Terry taking Ortiz' lefthanded (and potent) bat out of the lineup ....

If it's me, I want David's bat in there, but given Millar's success (and Francona's desire to keep everyone fresh) Millar could play the outfield in this series.

Lieber gave us fits in the ALCS last year, outdueled Pedro even in game 2. He should be a tough customer tonight.

As usual, Wake's key to victory. We should get 3 or 4 runs against Lieber, so if Wake can keep them below that, and the bullpen holds it, we can win this ballgame. If Wake gives up 4+ runs, I don't like our chances.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

This should be good. I want revenge on lieber.

Quote Originally Posted by CalvnHobs6
    Any chance Millar will start tonight with Manny, Ortiz, or Nixon on the bench? No DH this series.
    doubt it...ortiz and manny will both be in cuz it will be very hot in philly and that ball will travel FAR, which leaves me to be concerned about Wake. ........but then again wake has always said he pitches better in hot weather (like in chicago)

Today we take over 1st place in the division. I can feel it.

Fenway Resident

oh yea, im thinking atlanta has a good shot of sweeping baltimore, or at least 2 out of 3

Oh, the brotherly love.

Pedro faces the Yankees tonight... I hope that game is on ESPN.

EDIT: I believe it is... Im going to watch it over the Sox game. Nothing like watching a man smack his parents around... haha

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YanksHater213
    Pedro faces the Yankees tonight... I hope that game is on ESPN.

EDIT: I believe it is... Im going to watch it over the Sox game. Nothing like watching a man smack his parents around... haha
    Damn straight. He deserves it, too, after what happened last time, the poor guy. <_<
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

This is my rifle....

Pre-game lineups from mlb.com:

Damon, CF
    Renteria, SS
    Ortiz, 1B
    Manny, LF
    Nixon, RF
    Mueller, 3B
    Mirabelli, C
    Bellhorn, 2B
    Wake, P

Rollins, SS
    Lofton, CF
    Abreu, RF
    Thome, 1B
    Burrell, LF
    Utley, 2B
    Bell, 3B
    Lieberthal, C
    Lieber, P

This is my rifle....

if Mirabelli's having a tough time catching the flutter-ball, why not just play Tek so we don't lose the bat?

This is my rifle....

I have decided to eat my foot.........way to go DOUG! 3-run shot!