Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * No power in our farm system ?...*

Question * No power in our farm system ?...*

First of all let me state that theo has done a wonderful job drafting pitchers ( Pap, Hansen,Bucholz,bowden etc ..) but why doesn't he draft POWER? Besides, Soto, Eagan & probably Blade who else do we have? :dunno:

Re: * No power in our farm system ?...*

The Red Sox will always be players in the free agent market and could aquire a big bat. If you had to choose on a focus for the farm system I would focus on pitching and deal with power in free agency. It also takes longer for power hitters to develop and help the team where pitchers can contribute much faster.

that's a good call. plus pitching is harder to come by.

Fenway Resident

Ortiz didnt find his swing until leaving the Twins and signing with the Sox in 2003
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

This is my rifle....

Andrew Pinckney (sp?) has had a good season at low-A Greenville.

Banned

Hanley Ramierez is supposed to develop power, but who knows with that stuff.

that abreu guy we just signed from cuba is supposed to be one of the best power hitters in cuba

Deity

We can buy other people's power, should have Youkilis and Ortiz for an extended period of time and will be a pitching first team for years to come. No problem with that.

Pitching wins championships. Thats the bottom line. I would much rather have Theo stock up on great pitchers than great hitters for two reasons. One, you are able to tell a lot more about a pitcher coming out of HS, or College, than you are about a hitter. Two, teams tend to give up on hitters too early(see: David Ortiz) and tend to stick with pitchers too long, so it's easier to acquire bats. Drafting pitching is the best way to build a great franchise, and the best way to keep one contending.

All in all I am perfectly fine with having "no power" in the minors because we have plenty at the big league level now. Not to mention that great pitching is a premium, and since we have so many great young arms, any power we need could easily come by trading some away.

Well said MCH. In the years past the Sox did go after power hitting outfielders, usually at the cost of drafting pitching. After weeding out the prospects that couldn't cut it, they were left with a few blue chip prospects. Some stayed on ( Greenwell, Rice, Trot, etc. ), but even more were lost due trades ( brady Anderson, etc. ), and free agency ( Fred Lynn ). I'll take the pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by AnibalJonJon
    First of all let me state that theo has done a wonderful job drafting pitchers ( Pap, Hansen,Bucholz,bowden etc ..) but why doesn't he draft POWER? Besides, Soto, Eagan & probably Blade who else do we have? :dunno:
    Pedoria could hit 20 HR's. He hits a lot of doubles, and has an extremly good eye. The power will probably come as he develops more.

Brandon Moss, hit 51 XBH this year for Portland. He's only 21, so expect more from him.

Shoppach is a glaring omission, you forgot. He had a .507 Slugging percentage for the Paw Sox this year.

Claudio Arias, a 3B, playing for the Wilmington Blue Rocks, has a TON of power potential. He hit 20 HR's, in only 271 AB's. He isn't a major prospect, but if he gets some plate discipline he could be a serious prospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

Triple A

Power develops as the body develops. In many instances guys who don't show the typical homerun power develop it.

Take Jose Tabata for example, he only hit 5 homeruns for the GCL Yanks, but he had a ridiculous OPS for a 16 year old, which is apart of why he got some publicity. Power isn't all homeruns, homeruns are just the epitome of the term power.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeessuck013
    that abreu guy we just signed from cuba is supposed to be one of the best power hitters in cuba
    Yep, Am I the only one that's excited over Abreu signing with the sox? :dunno:

Triple A

Quote Originally Posted by MC Hammer
    Pitching wins championships. Thats the bottom line. I would much rather have Theo stock up on great pitchers than great hitters for two reasons. One, you are able to tell a lot more about a pitcher coming out of HS, or College, than you are about a hitter. Two, teams tend to give up on hitters too early(see: David Ortiz) and tend to stick with pitchers too long, so it's easier to acquire bats. Drafting pitching is the best way to build a great franchise, and the best way to keep one contending.

All in all I am perfectly fine with having "no power" in the minors because we have plenty at the big league level now. Not to mention that great pitching is a premium, and since we have so many great young arms, any power we need could easily come by trading some away.
    Right. 2004 World Series win = pitching beats hitting.

Matt
    *removed due to spam*

Triple A

Quote Originally Posted by ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
    Yep, Am I the only one that's excited over Abreu signing with the sox? :dunno:
    Nope.

Matt
    *removed due to spam*