Register now to remove this ad

Thread: $ to be freed up

$ to be freed up

2005 salaries of guys that could be gone (not including manny)

jd: 8.25
    wells 4.075
    millar 3.5
    timlin 2.75
    mueller 2.5
    graff 1.1
    mantei 0.75

total 22.925

in another of my posts i mentioned possibility of signing konerko and giles
    if konerko cost 12-13 a year
    and giles 8-9 a year
    that would give us a small amount of money left to make some moves
    so to be able to get a couple new hitters and still have money to adress the pitching, wed need to make some trades
    if we traded manny to the mets for beltran that would free up 8 mill, and would allow us to have an outfield of giles, beltran, trot-pretty nice
    manny for cameron would free up 12 mill
    manny for roy halladay (am hearing toronto could be in market for manny) would free up 9 mill

Deity

Re: $ to be freed up

We're going to need to OVER pay pitching, so we should save some of that giles money to do that. Otherwise we're bound to have another similar season to this one next year. If we lose Manny and don't address the HUGE pitching problem then we'll have a worse year than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pats55sox45
    2005 salaries of guys that could be gone (not including manny)

jd: 8.25
    wells 4.075
    millar 3.5
    timlin 2.75
    mueller 2.5
    graff 1.1
    mantei 0.75

total 22.925

in another of my posts i mentioned possibility of signing konerko and giles
    if konerko cost 12-13 a year
    and giles 8-9 a year
    that would give us a small amount of money left to make some moves
    so to be able to get a couple new hitters and still have money to adress the pitching, wed need to make some trades
    if we traded manny to the mets for beltran that would free up 8 mill, and would allow us to have an outfield of giles, beltran, trot-pretty nice
    manny for cameron would free up 12 mill
    manny for roy halladay (am hearing toronto could be in market for manny) would free up 9 mill
    manny for halladay??????

also, going after konerko and giles are extreme long shots. Giles is going to be involved in a bidding war....possibly the Cubs going hard after him? Konerko is most likely going to resign with Chicago.

If we clear ~23 Million.....then we can push hard for AJ Burnett, go after a middle reliever who can actually strike someone out, a better first baseman....adam dunn? lyle overbay?

I still think that we will clear manny's salary too but take on beltran's. so that will increase flexability. Who knows, we may end up making a deal for barry zito. Once Theo is resigned, we will start to see what off the wall moves he makes that will help us win the division.

Major Leaguer

Lightbulb Re: $ to be freed up

Quote Originally Posted by Manny's Tokin Buddy
    manny for halladay??????

also, going after konerko and giles are extreme long shots. Giles is going to be involved in a bidding war....possibly the Cubs going hard after him? Konerko is most likely going to resign with Chicago.

If we clear ~23 Million.....then we can push hard for AJ Burnett, go after a middle reliever who can actually strike someone out, a better first baseman....adam dunn? lyle overbay?

I still think that we will clear manny's salary too but take on beltran's. so that will increase flexability. Who knows, we may end up making a deal for barry zito. Once Theo is resigned, we will start to see what off the wall moves he makes that will help us win the division.

adam dunn? hell no...he either wiffs or smacks one...overbay? do you really think the breweres are going to let him go?...good point about zito...i like him much more than burnett

manny for roy halladay
    No way Tornto even considers that. Before Halladay got hurt he was pitching like his old self. Pitching > Hitting, and Halladay is a great pitcher, with a smaller salary. No way Toronto does that unless we put in a few pretty good prospects, but thats still a long shot. Also, would they deal him to a division rival?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycarter05
    overbay? do you really think the breweres are going to let him go?...good point about zito...i like him much more than burnett
    yeah i think we could get overbay, especially for arroyo....the brewers want to play prince fielder, so overbay is available for pitching i would assume. Yeah, i also like Zito. Even in Fenway (which can be tough on lefties) he would look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksHater213
    No way Tornto even considers that. Before Halladay got hurt he was pitching like his old self. Pitching > Hitting, and Halladay is a great pitcher, with a smaller salary. No way Toronto does that unless we put in a few pretty good prospects, but thats still a long shot. Also, would they deal him to a division rival?
    I was actually also reading about Toronto being interested in Manny and Halladay's name was brought up. Maybe they would deal him to a division rival BUT they would be getting possibly the best hitter in the division. Not to mention I hear the Blue Jays are real interested in Burnett so they would have Burnett take the reigns of ace and add a TOP cleanup hitter. I think they would want another pitcher which we could actually provide considering we have a few. Maybe they would want Arroyo who has done well in the AL. If I was the Blue Jays I would keep Halladay and go after Burnett. That would be a nice 1-2 punch but there batting is still pretty pathetic.

No way the Sox deal Manny within the division so let's just put that deal to rest right now.

Fenway Resident

from the Boston Herald

Time for Youkilis

With three-year starter Bill Mueller heading toward free agency, Epstein said Kevin Youkilis is more than capable of stepping in at third base next season, if needed. "Youkilis is at a point where he has to have a more significant role next year,'' Epstein said. "He's a guy we feel could be an everyday player for us, depending on how things work out.'' . . .
    it would without a doubt suck to not see the great defensive plays billy ball game had delivered each game as a Red Sox, plus the clutch hits he delivered. (especially with bases loaded)

I expect the Minnesota Twins, who are in need of offense, to offer him a 2 or 3 year deal. Which he'd probably opt over the Sox's likely 1 year offering.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Fenway Resident

get ready for a new looking Fenway this spring

Facelift begins

Shortly after the final out of the season, crews swarmed upon Fenway Park to get an immediate start on the construction of the new upper-deck seating levels, as well as the total restructuring of the .406 Club behind home plate. Despite heavy rain, nearly all of the current seats on the roof level and in the luxury boxes were removed by mid-afternoon. The pressbox level was also stripped.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Quote Originally Posted by riverside sluggers
    get ready for a new looking Fenway this spring
    that should be exciting I cant wait to see that

Neither can I. I like these facelifts they're giving Fenway.
    West Virginia University 2014

Triple A

Manny for Roy Halladay?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Take Zito if you want. If you expect him to beat the Yanks, you are gravely mistaken.

Millar making 3 and a half was an absolute sin.
    "These guys need to make a descision right now, are they gonna be winners? Or are they gonna be like Alex Rodriguez?" -Dickie V during Pitt vs. Uconn