Register now to remove this ad

Page 447 of 471 FirstFirst ... 347397437445446447448449457 ... LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,705 of 7061

Thread: Official NBA thread

Deity
    Bamba is 20 years old. he is light for a kid that is what 6"11- 220 I think. What is good about him is his athleticism. He can run and he jumps out of the building. he is for sure a project and probably is not an actual Ainge target. He is a defender and a shot blocker for sure right now. He is not Manute Boll! Like I said - he might not be in the Celtic future but he sure as shit isn't chump change either. Some team who wants size may very well wind up with a good one here.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Bamba is 20 years old. he is light for a kid that is what 6"11- 220 I think. What is good about him is his athleticism. He can run and he jumps out of the building. he is for sure a project and probably is not an actual Ainge target. He is a defender and a shot blocker for sure right now. He is not Manute Boll! Like I said - he might not be in the Celtic future but he sure as shit isn't chump change either. Some team who wants size may very well wind up with a good one here.
    I’d draft him if we had that high a pick- I like him that much. We don’t though. And we’d have to give up a lot, most definitely way too much, to trade up in the daft to get him.

Stop caring about the NBA.

It's all fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Stop caring about the NBA.

It's all fixed!
    Lol.

Do you remember several years back ( more than that, actually ) the NBA had to fire a ref that was caught gambling on games or taking bribes? I forget the details but something like that happened.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

There is another fix job going on attempting to give the Warriors a win. The NBA is a joke.

OMG JR Smith has to be the dumbest player in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Lol.

Do you remember several years back ( more than that, actually ) the NBA had to fire a ref that was caught gambling on games or taking bribes? I forget the details but something like that happened.
    Tim Donaghy. He casually bet on NBA games that he wasn't involved in with his golf buddies, who unbeknownst to him were passing his tips/bets on to organized crime. Donaghy decided to stop betting because it hit him that he was abusing his position and would be in deep, deep shit if anyone found out, and the mob (obviously) wasn't happy. They tracked him down early in the 06-07 season and threatened him back not only into picking games (directly for them this time), but also to start betting on games that he officiated.

He took note of league directives that went out to refs through e-mail (i.e. they would send a bunch of replays of Allen Iverson getting away with palming violations, the obvious message being that the league wanted to refs to crack down on that), and he knew the officiating patterns and biases of his fellow refs well enough to hit on like 75% of his picks. He knew that Dick Bavetta officiated to keep games close, so he bet the underdog in Bavetta's games on the assumption that the favorite would fail to cover the point spread due to Bavetta manipulating the game. He knew that Joey Crawford hated several league owners and would try to stick it to their team whenever possible. Allen Iverson once publicly mouthed off about Steve Javie and didn't really get punished by the league for it, so the refs not-so-secretly decided to inflict mob justice and screwed Iverson on calls for the next couple of weeks, which Donaghy used to make more picks and win more money by betting against Denver for the next couple of weeks. Interestingly, a bunch of refs were pals with Isiah Thomas and would hit him up for signed merchandise and other goodies, with an unspoken understanding that they would help out the Knicks on the court, which makes the Knicks' failures in the mid 2000s all the more hilarious - they had several officials in their back pocket and STILL could only win 23 games a year. Maybe a certain ref blew an important call that cost Orlando a game and felt guilty or was doubting himself over it. If that ref mentioned to Donaghy or Donaghy otherwise found out that the ref would be working another game for Orlando within the next week or two, Donaghy would pick Orlando to win that game.

Sometimes the rationale for his picks was less sinister - maybe Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson somebody was the favorite player of some ref's son or nephew, so the ref would favor that player, subconsciously or not. Maybe a coach owned a restaurant and Donaghy found out that the restaurant comped the ref's meal, or gave them a standing 'free dinner' card for whenever they were in town, and of course they would return the favor and help his team out on the floor.

I have his book. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Jacoby_Ellsbury; 06-01-2018 at 01:42 AM.

It seems almost choreographed like wrestlemaninia. The gteam destined to lose gets off to a roaring start, a few bad calls changes the momentum, and a few more non calls seals the deal for the annointed winners.

The NBA gets the teams it wants into the finals.

It's FIXED!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    OMG JR Smith has to be the dumbest player in the league
    https://twitter.com/burdman0324/stat...-cavs-warriors

This JR Smith clip is wicked funny.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCSAuthent...AK_OKw&fref=nf
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I'm not watching the Finals due to the fact of how tired I am of these two teams. I hate both teams, but would like to see Golden State win because I have a friend I met in college from the Bay Area whom I love like a brother, and he is a big Warriors fan, a real fan, not a bandwagon like so many others. I only just saw what JR did in its entirety this morning and I can't stop laughing. Mike Breen, the play by play guy for ABC, had the best reaction. I hate JR as well, so that just warms my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

If the league is fixed, how come we never hear about this from the owners? If I was a billionaire team owner who saw my team lose because they are not Golden State or whoever you bet your ass I'd be vocal about it. Also, I'm not much of a conspiracy theory guy. Back when I use to judge boxing matches I remember the one thing you never want to see is an equal match, because 100% of the time whatever call you make the otherside accuses you of being "biased" or "blind" and I believe I've been called an effing AH a few times too. When everything else is even, both sides always think they win. Now when you break things down play by play, there are a bunch of missed calls in every single game. How often does an umpire make a bad strike or ball call? 99% of the time, if you stepped back and took an ubiased look at it you'd end up seeing that they're making bad calls for both sides.

I'm pretty sick of Golden State/Cleveland myself.....but it will be nice to see Lebron lose for a 3rd time in a row.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    If the league is fixed, how come we never hear about this from the owners? If I was a billionaire team owner who saw my team lose because they are not Golden State or whoever you bet your ass I'd be vocal about it. Also, I'm not much of a conspiracy theory guy. Back when I use to judge boxing matches I remember the one thing you never want to see is an equal match, because 100% of the time whatever call you make the otherside accuses you of being "biased" or "blind" and I believe I've been called an effing AH a few times too. When everything else is even, both sides always think they win. Now when you break things down play by play, there are a bunch of missed calls in every single game. How often does an umpire make a bad strike or ball call? 99% of the time, if you stepped back and took an ubiased look at it you'd end up seeing that they're making bad calls for both sides.

I'm pretty sick of Golden State/Cleveland myself.....but it will be nice to see Lebron lose for a 3rd time in a row.
    I don't know a lot or care at all about basketball, but it's inescapable this time of year, especially on ESPN radio and ESPN TV, which is on the bar TV at my job 24/7. So I thought this might be incorrect, and I googled and found I was correct. The Cavaliers won in 2016, so this would only be the second consecutive year that Lebron lost, no?

I'm okay with that, from what I know (admittedly only from ESPN TV/radio), he seems like a very unlikable guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

I agree with you here. I am not into the conspiracy crap at all. That is for others. I do not particularly like this version of the NBA much myself. Tends to de-emphasize the concept of team as opposed to the individual. I did enjoy watching my beloved Celtics make this run though.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I don't know a lot or care at all about basketball, but it's inescapable this time of year, especially on ESPN radio and ESPN TV, which is on the bar TV at my job 24/7. So I thought this might be incorrect, and I googled and found I was correct. The Cavaliers won in 2016, so this would only be the second consecutive year that Lebron lost, no?

I'm okay with that, from what I know (admittedly only from ESPN TV/radio), he seems like a very unlikable guy.

Lebron does come off as unlikeable particularly so since he doesn't play for our side.