Register now to remove this ad

Page 448 of 451 FirstFirst ... 348398438446447448449450 ... LastLast
Results 6,706 to 6,720 of 6755

Thread: Official NBA thread

  1. #6706
    I like Lebron's politics.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  2. #6707
    I don't even understand the Lebron hate, he is a great player, fantastic role model and his work in the community and for the youth of Cleveland is fantastic. I wish we had more professional athletes that handled themselves like Lebron.

    I also give him props for taking blame for the loss, even though it clearly wasn't his fault, he dodged every question about JR/George Hill.

  3. #6708
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    If the league is fixed, how come we never hear about this from the owners? If I was a billionaire team owner who saw my team lose because they are not Golden State or whoever you bet your ass I'd be vocal about it. Also, I'm not much of a conspiracy theory guy. Back when I use to judge boxing matches I remember the one thing you never want to see is an equal match, because 100% of the time whatever call you make the otherside accuses you of being "biased" or "blind" and I believe I've been called an effing AH a few times too. When everything else is even, both sides always think they win. Now when you break things down play by play, there are a bunch of missed calls in every single game. How often does an umpire make a bad strike or ball call? 99% of the time, if you stepped back and took an ubiased look at it you'd end up seeing that they're making bad calls for both sides.

    I'm pretty sick of Golden State/Cleveland myself.....but it will be nice to see Lebron lose for a 3rd time in a row.
    Did you actually watch the game though? It was horrible, even the announcers and other NBA players and athletes were discussing how bad it was. Plus, you know, the NBA has had officials bet on and rig games in the past...

  4. #6709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I don't even understand the Lebron hate, he is a great player, fantastic role model and his work in the community and for the youth of Cleveland is fantastic. I wish we had more professional athletes that handled themselves like Lebron.

    I also give him props for taking blame for the loss, even though it clearly wasn't his fault, he dodged every question about JR/George Hill.
    I would like to have said this.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  5. #6710
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I don't even understand the Lebron hate, he is a great player, fantastic role model and his work in the community and for the youth of Cleveland is fantastic. I wish we had more professional athletes that handled themselves like Lebron.

    I also give him props for taking blame for the loss, even though it clearly wasn't his fault, he dodged every question about JR/George Hill.
    IMO - Professional athletes should never be subjected to the kinds of questions he was asked in one of the news conferences that I listened to. People in news media constantly over step the bounds of common decency in a warped effort to create news where more often than not there is no news. I am a lifelong Boston Celtic fan so i bet you can guess where my heart lies when the question of who is the greatest come up. Sorry Larry - you come in second for me. I have to say though I have not seen any player in the last 56 years who is able to affect a game as much as this man. The only one who even comes close is Wilt. I say this knowing quite well that this is apt to stir the feelings of the MJ fans. Oh well.

  6. #6711
    we definitely need more role models like LeBron. he spent millions to send kids to college, and he actually keeps in touch with the kids he helps, making sure they're actually going to class, and etc. he married his hs girlfriend, and has been faithful his whole life. i respect the shit out of LeBron, and his basketball skills speak for themselves. its had to hate a guy like him, when other great players, like Jordan, had the gambling issues, cheated on his wife, was linked to getting his dad killed,etc, and kobe was a massive douche, raped someone, and etc.

  7. #6712
    LeBron turned into a phony, race-baiting shitbrick when he rejoined Cleveland. I was a staunch defender of his during the Miami era (as previous pages of this thread will show) but over the last four years he has become insufferable.

  8. #6713
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    , was linked to getting his dad killed,
    Whoa what? Didn't the guys see him napping in a really nice car on the side of the road and only find out he was Jordan's dad after they had already killed him?

    EDIT: I just googled this for a few minutes and I can't find a single non-conspiracy theory, non-sketchy looking site proposing the theory that Jordan had any link to his father's murder. I did find articles on a bunch of E-newspapers with questionable journalistic integrity and a few conspiracy videos on YouTube.
    Last edited by Youk Of The Nation; 06-03-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

  9. #6714
    So, The Celtics didn’t make for any drama and stuck with their pick. Texas A&M 6-10 Forward Robert Williams. I don’t know too much about him but he was projected to get drafted earlier than the 27th pick but teams think he “lacks work ethic”. I say we’ll see if that stands in Brad Stevens’ system. A paycheck may also help with a lack of work ethic as well. Overall, I guess I’m just glad they held onto Brown and Tatum.

  10. #6715
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    So, The Celtics didn’t make for any drama and stuck with their pick. Texas A&M 6-10 Forward Robert Williams. I don’t know too much about him but he was projected to get drafted earlier than the 27th pick but teams think he “lacks work ethic”. I say we’ll see if that stands in Brad Stevens’ system. A paycheck may also help with a lack of work ethic as well. Overall, I guess I’m just glad they held onto Brown and Tatum.
    He's a very good player and is a steal at 27. He's the guy I wanted the Wizards to get, but of course like usual, they do something stupid and take a project SF, when they already have huge money invested in Otto Porter, and have Oubre.

  11. #6716
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    we definitely need more role models like LeBron. he spent millions to send kids to college, and he actually keeps in touch with the kids he helps, making sure they're actually going to class, and etc. he married his hs girlfriend, and has been faithful his whole life. i respect the shit out of LeBron, and his basketball skills speak for themselves. its had to hate a guy like him, when other great players, like Jordan, had the gambling issues, cheated on his wife, was linked to getting his dad killed,etc, and kobe was a massive douche, raped someone, and etc.
    A lot of that is internet bunk.

    Anyone linking Jordan to his dad's death is click-baiting you. And even the Kobe situation appeared to be consensual sex with a girl looking for a settlement (although that definitely does not excuse the infidelity).

    But I agree LeBron is a terrific role model. And as a basketball player, I think he is certainly Jordan's equal, although since I live in Chicago, I am not allowed to say that...

  12. #6717
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    He's a very good player and is a steal at 27. He's the guy I wanted the Wizards to get, but of course like usual, they do something stupid and take a project SF, when they already have huge money invested in Otto Porter, and have Oubre.
    Williams is a massive upside guy who could be a surprise source of rim protection. The Celtics next year could be adding not only Williams, but getting back two All Stars in Hayward and Irving, and seeing more play from Terry Rozier.

    It's hard not to be excited about that team already...

  13. #6718
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A lot of that is internet bunk.

    Anyone linking Jordan to his dad's death is click-baiting you. And even the Kobe situation appeared to be consensual sex with a girl looking for a settlement (although that definitely does not excuse the infidelity).

    But I agree LeBron is a terrific role model. And as a basketball player, I think he is certainly Jordan's equal, although since I live in Chicago, I am not allowed to say that...
    Chad Finn of the Globe asked Jeff Van Gundy who was the greatest between Jordan and LeBron. Van Gundy gave what I thought was a great answer, or non-answer if you prefer. He was passionate and also kind of funny. First he railed against the whole comparison thing-why are we so obsessed with these comparisons, why must we take the joy out of everything etc. He also complained about the obsession with numbers, because referring only to numbers diminishes the great athleticism and artistry that went into those numbers. He allowed that if LeBron plays a few years at this level he will have had the greatest career of any player, although that wasn't the same thing as being the greatest player.

  14. #6719
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Chad Finn of the Globe asked Jeff Van Gundy who was the greatest between Jordan and LeBron. Van Gundy gave what I thought was a great answer, or non-answer if you prefer. He was passionate and also kind of funny. First he railed against the whole comparison thing-why are we so obsessed with these comparisons, why must we take the joy out of everything etc. He also complained about the obsession with numbers, because referring only to numbers diminishes the great athleticism and artistry that went into those numbers. He allowed that if LeBron plays a few years at this level he will have had the greatest career of any player, although that wasn't the same thing as being the greatest player.
    And that is why Jeff Van Gundy would not fit in in Chicago. Everything Chicago sports out here has to be the "best ever" and fans - and even radio talk show hosts - get MAD if you insinuate it might not be the case.

    Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever. He has SIX RINGS!!! (As I tell them, "Bill Russell has 11. How is Jordan even in this conversation?" This does not go over well.)

    The 1985 Bears are the best football team ever!! With the best defense ever!! (And yes they argue that Jim McMahon, an average to below QB, was the perfect fit for that team and therefore irreplaceable.)

    Mike Ditka is the best NFL coach ever!! (They do say Belicheck would be if he didn't cheat.)

    I am sure they 2016 Cubs were the greatest MLB team of all time, per their fans and media...

  15. #6720
    I give Jordan decisive bonus points for playing in an era when hand-checkng was still allowed. That’s the deciding factor for me. To me Lebron is a cross-between Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen playing in a league with no hand-checking. There are other factors to my opinion, but they’re less important. It’s not a great comparison either, position wise. To me, I considered Jordan 1, 2, and/or 3, while Lebron’s mainly a 3 and/or 4 (who doesn’t post-up nearly enough imo). That’s not to say Jordan NEVER posted-up or that Lebron NEVER ran offenseive plays acting as a guard. I’m just speaking in general. Predominantly. Other things I consider are: 1) I think the competion was overall greater when the Bulls were rattling off championships. 2) The Bulls were well coached, but they were never considered an exogenous group of superstars. Meaning, Jordan never had to “take his talents to S. Beach” as it were, to win a championship. 3) Who wears who’s number? ... yeah, I thought so.

    Anyways, Lebron is great. The greatest of his generation I would say.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •