Register now to remove this ad

Page 463 of 471 FirstFirst ... 363413453461462463464465 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 7061

Thread: Official NBA thread

I think that , by any objective viewpoint, Michael Jordan would be considered the G.O.A.T. ( Some younger fans might choose LeBron . ) Wilt and Russell were great in their own right , but they were really the first athletic big men in the game , and they were able to dominate . Not to take anything away from them , but they simply did not have the skills of Jordan , Magic , Bird or The Big O .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think that , by any objective viewpoint, Michael Jordan would be considered the G.O.A.T. ( Some younger fans might choose LeBron . ) Wilt and Russell were great in their own right , but they were really the first athletic big men in the game , and they were able to dominate . Not to take anything away from them , but they simply did not have the skills of Jordan , Magic , Bird or The Big O .
    Bingo that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Ok.

Now say I posited that Kareem was the NBA GOAT based on his career Win Shares. What’s the defense for Jordan?

Also worth noting but outside the argument, Airplane! and Game of Death were both better movies than Space Jam...
    I would not argue Kareem is the GOAT. I never have.

I can see the argument for Bill Russell- winning championships and rebounding like a maniac.

I can see the argument for Wilt- nobody score like him and dominated offensively while also rebounding like a maniac. He even had over 6 assists/game in two seasons.

I can see an argument for the Big O. He averaged a triple double for his first 6 seasons combined with 30+ pts!

I can see the argument for Jordan & LeBron as physical specimens, great numbers and plenty of rings.

I think Kareem could be included in the debate, but to me it's between the 5 I listed above.

I've kind of talked myself out of the Russel as #1 position. If Wilt could have shot free throws, he'd be a shoe-in.

Here's my rankings for today:

1. Wilt
    2. Big O
    3. Jordan
    4. Russell
    5. LeBron
    6. Kareem

To me, choosing #7 is harder than choosing #1.
    Sox 4 Ever

I don't know if this is a good argument or not, frankly. But it's all just in fun, right?

I would take Michael Jordan in a one-on-one game against Wilt.

And I would take 5 Michaels in a game against 5 Wilts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I would not argue Kareem is the GOAT. I never have.

I can see the argument for Bill Russell- winning championships and rebounding like a maniac.

I can see the argument for Wilt- nobody score like him and dominated offensively while also rebounding like a maniac. He even had over 6 assists/game in two seasons.

I can see an argument for the Big O. He averaged a triple double for his first 6 seasons combined with 30+ pts!

I can see the argument for Jordan & LeBron as physical specimens, great numbers and plenty of rings.

I think Kareem could be included in the debate, but to me it's between the 5 I listed above.

I've kind of talked myself out of the Russel as #1 position. If Wilt could have shot free throws, he'd be a shoe-in.

Here's my rankings for today:

1. Wilt
    2. Big O
    3. Jordan
    4. Russell
    5. LeBron
    6. Kareem

To me, choosing #7 is harder than choosing #1.

I’d think Kobe is a leading candidate for that 7 spot...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I don't know if this is a good argument or not, frankly. But it's all just in fun, right?

I would take Michael Jordan in a one-on-one game against Wilt.

And I would take 5 Michaels in a game against 5 Wilts.

At least trying to quantify the greatest NBA player is a bit easier than the best NFL player...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’d think Kobe is a leading candidate for that 7 spot...
    Kobe or Magic.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Kobe or Magic.
    Oh man. Made it interesting.

And then where are Tim Duncan and the vastly underrated John Stockton in all this? And where are Dr. J and Larry?

When the NBA resumes its 2019-20 season this summer, it won’t just be the players, team employees, and league officials who’ll be sequestered at Walt Disney World for several months. According to a Professional Basketball Writers Association memo, a select group of reporters could be locked inside the Disney bubble for at least three-and-a-half months—with no option to re-enter if they exit quarantine.

On June 4, the NBA Board of Governors approved a plan to restart the season, which came to a screeching halt after Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19 on March 12. There are still more than a few details to be worked out with the union, and some players are concerned about being kept in relative isolation through autumn, but as things currently stand, 22 teams would relocate to Disney’s 220-acre ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. There, a handful of games would be played to determine seeding for the playoffs, with the NBA Finals concluding in mid-October.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@ShamsCharania
    Multiple tips have been placed into the NBA’s anonymous hotline to report protocol violations on campus, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA

The NBA planning to play in an Orlando bubble while the virus is wreaking havoc on FL is the dumbest idea ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @ShamsCharania
    Multiple tips have been placed into the NBA’s anonymous hotline to report protocol violations on campus, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA

The NBA planning to play in an Orlando bubble while the virus is wreaking havoc on FL is the dumbest idea ever.
    I think they can make it work. That hotline will be crucial though. The snitches get stitches culture has to stop
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I think they can make it work. That hotline will be crucial though. The snitches get stitches culture has to stop
    Not sure if they can make it work since FL is now the epicenter of COVID and players are always going to find a way to get out. Teams should just charter their own planes and play in empty arenas. I think it's probably safer to have a game in OKC than Orlando.

Not sure if they can make it work since FL is now the epicenter of COVID and players are always going to find a way to get out. Teams should just charter their own planes and play in empty arenas. I think it's probably safer to have a game in OKC than Orlando.
    That ship has sailed. All their chips are in on Orlando. If it doesn't work, there's no alternative. Just reset for the 2020-21 season. Like every other sport, if everything goes right, it can work. But, everything probably won't go right

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That ship has sailed. All their chips are in on Orlando. If it doesn't work, there's no alternative. Just reset for the 2020-21 season. Like every other sport, if everything goes right, it can work. But, everything probably won't go right
    It's mid-July.

The "post-season" has not even started yet. Even during a regular pandemic-free season, the interminably long NBA post-season is wrapping up about now.

Heck, the next regular season would normally start in about 14 weeks. Are we going to squeeze an entire post-season, off-season, and pre-season into that timeframe?
    Last edited by notin; 07-17-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Sorry Moon, but the ending to that Bucks game was epic