Jeter Jeter peter eater RedSoxRooter's Avatar

Charlie Zink
    Born: August 26, 1979, El Dorado Hills, CA
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 190
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: Not Drafted
    How Acquired: Undrafted free agent (2002)
    College: Savannah College of Art and Design
    ETA: mid-2005

Scouting Report: A hard-throwing right-hander, Zink was signed as an undrafted free agent on the recommendation of Luis Tiant, his former coach at Savannah College of Art and Design. Tim Wakefield has tutored Zink on the fine art of the knuckleball. Zink understands what he needs to do to get hitters out. Good athlete. Also throws fastball and curveball for strikes, using the same delivery as his knuckler. Fearless with his knuckleball, even behind in the count.

It's about time the league saw a new knuckleballer. Zink's off to a rough start this year in AA (1-6, 5.07 ERA) but the Sox are not worried. It would be crazy to have two knuckleballers in the rotation in 2006.

I'll try to find pitching schedules and box scores on Zink and will post them here.

Floatin' Right Along
    By Rob Neyer
    ESPN.com 11/10/03

I have seen the future of the knuckleball, and his name is Zink. Charlie Zink.

This weekend, I was in Phoenix for Ron Shandler's First Pitch Arizona, a symposium for serious fantasy baseball owners. I enjoy the symposium, but the real draw is the baseball, as the Arizona Fall League is in full swing. And Saturday afternoon in Mesa, I was treated to a dream pitching matchup: the Mesa Desert Dogs' Charlie Zink vs. the Mesa Solar Sox's Dewon Brazelton.

Most prospect hounds would be excited about Brazelton, and he was impressive, showing off a solid fastball, a good slider, and a killer changeup while striking out nine Dogs in five innings. But it was Charlie Zink I wanted to see, because Zink, a Red Sox farmhand, is easily the best young knuckleball pitcher in the world. He didn't disappoint, either, allowing just one hit and one walk in five innings.

Zink hadn't fared well in the AFL before Saturday, in part (I suspect) because the knuckleball doesn't dance its normal dance at the Valley's somewhat lofty altitude. But I don't think the Red Sox will hold it against him. 2003 was just Zink's second minor-league season, and here's how he's done so far:

Age Level IP H HR BB SO ERA
    22 A 57 44 1 19 59 1.42
    23 A/AA/AFL 201 170 16 91 128 3.94

Now, let's look at Tim Wakefield's first three seasons as a knuckleballer:

Age Level IP H HR BB SO ERA
    22 A- 40 30 1 21 42 3.40
    23 A 190 187 24 85 127 4.73
    24 AA 183 155 13 51 120 2.90

Wakefield and Zink were both born in August, which makes comparing them particularly appropriate. And Zink is clearly ahead of Wakefield at the same age. Zink was better at 22, he was better at 23, and at both ages he was pitching against tougher competition. Does this mean that Zink's going to follow Wakefield's career path? Of course not. Wakefield broke through at 24, in Double-A, and there's no guarantee that Zink will.

But Zink will open next season in Double-A, and he'll be 24. As near as I can tell, here's a list of the last three pitchers who had good knuckleballs when they were 24 years old, along with how many games they won in the major leagues:

Wakefield, 116 (so far)
    Charlie Hough, 216
    Phil Niekro, 318

(Actually, when Niekro was 24 he was in U.S. Army. But he was a pretty good minor-league knuckleballer at 23 and 25.)

The point here is that not many pitchers can throw a knuckleball for strikes while in their early 20s, and the ones who can generally enjoy long major-league careers.

But nobody seems to realize how good Charlie Zink might be. Scouts and writers see Charlie Zink and they think, "Oh, isn't that cute. He throws a knuckleball. If everything works out for him, he's got a chance to be a decent pitcher someday."

One writer, evaluating the Mesa Desert Dogs, listed Zink as a "Sleeper Pitcher" and concluded, "Future #5 Starter/Reliever."

Another writer admitted that "Zink is a very interesting pitcher," and recommended, "Keep an eye on him."

Wrong, guys. I'm going to keep both eyes on him, because he's going to be a good major-league pitcher, a better major-league pitcher than the great majority of the pitchers in the Arizona Fall League who are considered better prospects.

Among all the pitchers in the Arizona Fall League, Zink has the best chance, by far, of enjoying a healthy career, and (to a lesser extent) he also has the best chance of enjoying a long and productive career. Baseball today isn't particularly friendly to knuckleball pitchers -- it's too easy for a mistake to become a home run -- so I don't think it's all that likely that Zink will become a star. If you're looking for a star in the Arizona Fall League, your better bets are Dewon Brazelton, Neal Cotts, or Boof Bonser.

But those guys all have the talent to be No. 1 starters in the major leagues, and Charlie Zink is not that far behind them. I think Zink is likely to have a career something like Tim Wakefield's. And he might be Phil Niekro.

Last Start:
    Zink last started on Sunday. He pitched well (six innings, one run, three hits, four strikeouts) in a no-decision agains New Britain.

The Sea Dogs eventually won the game in a 9th inning comeback, 4-3.

Next Start:
    Either Friday or Saturday night vs. Binghamton.

Isn't he having some command issues with that knuckle ball of his? In any case, I'm very excited to see him play.

Yeah, from what I've been reading, he's been a little wild - though I don't know if it's entirely with the knuckler or with the fastball as well. I'll keep looking and will let you know what the deal is.

All-Star
    Zink's knuckleballs have been quality, but he hasn't been consistent with his command of it. About 50-75% of them have been big-league quality knuckleballs, but when they aren't, that's when he walks guys or leaves a duck over the plate.

One thing that I question about Zink is his competitive drive. He wanted to be an artist before Luis Tiant basically forced him to become a big-league pitcher. He may not be striving to be all he can be as a knuckler.

I think I read an article in a Boston paper mentioning that his first choice was art. I just hope he's like Foulke - baseball's not his first love, but he loves the "art" of pitching.

Last Start:
    Zink pitched last night against the Mets. He gave up 4 runs in 2+ innings before leaving the game after getting hit by a line drive off the knee cap in the 3rd. He is to be re-evaluated today.

The Sea Dogs eventually beat the Mets 5-4 in 11 innings.

Next Start: TBD.

Last Start:
    Zink last started on Wednesday. It didn't do so great as he went 5 innings, gave up 8 hits, 7 runs (3 earned) with 4 walks, 2 k and a homer agains Erie.

The Sea Dogs eventually won the game 10-9.

The Season:
    Zink stands at 1-6 with a 5.40 ERA after 15 starts.

Next Start:
    I think Monday against Norwich. (Fun fact: I grew up in the Norwich area. What a shitty place. B) )

Last Start:
    Zink last started on Monday. He gave up only two hits over 6 2/3 innings, but he also walked six batters and three of them scored.

Zink left the game with a 2-1 lead, the bases loaded and two outs in the seventh. Derin McMains tagged reliever Juan Perez for a three-run double down the right-field line.

The Sea Dogs eventually lost the game 8-7 in 11 innings.

The Season:
    Zink stands at 1-6 with a 5.40 ERA after 16 starts.

Next Start:
    I think Saturday.

Last Start:
    Zink's last start was on Saturday. He kept the Sea Dogs in the game, pitching out of jams in the third and fourth innings. He ended up allowing five hits and four runs over 5 2/3 innings, with two strikeouts and four walks.

Not too great..

The Season:
    Zink drops to 1-7 in 17 starts. (could he be our next Bronson Arroyo?? :huh: )

Next Start
    Friday I believe.

I sure hope he's learning something new in Portland (like how not to walk so many people), because the results right now ain't too pretty.

All-Star
    Zink had a fantastic April after spending all Spring Training with Wake. Charlie does have his digits, but he doesn't want to call him because Wake's wife just had a kid. Portland's pitching coach has no idea how to throw a knuckler, so he's clueless on how to help Charlie.

Maybe a move to the bullpen?
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

Where'd Zink go, is he in Double A?
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

All-Star
    Yeah, Zink's pitching like shit for Portland.