Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Draft Projections

Fenway Resident

2006 Draft Projections

I came upon this on scout.com of projections for the 1st round of the 2006 draft.

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/497341.html

27. Boston Red Sox - Matt Antonelli, 3B, R/R, 6’0, 200, Wake Forest

Matt Antonelli is a good fit for the Red Sox, who just traded away a great 3B prospect in Andy Marte and can use a player with polish. Furthermore, Antonelli displays excellent plate discipline and top-notch athletic ability. His homerun power is still developing, but he does have the ability to pile up impressive doubles totals right now and post a high average and OBP thanks to a compact swing and advanced approach. On defense he is more than solid. I’ve read several scouting reports that say he could play centerfield if necessary, and his footwork and lateral quickness at third base are very good.

28. Boston Red Sox - Jared Hughes, RHP, R/R, 6’7, 235, Long Beach State

The Sox follow up their Antonelli pick by taking another collegiate standout. Coming out of high school in 2003, Jared Hughes was a power pitcher with first round talent who consistently threw in the mid-90s. He didn’t get the signing bonus he was after and wound up heading to college rather than signing with Tampa Bay after they took him in the 16th round. Since transferring to Long Beach from Santa Clara Hughes has learned to pitch. He now works in the low-90s with good sink on his fastball, changes speeds and uses all four corners of the strike zone to put hitters away. His height allows him to throw down at hitters and he’s adept at keeping the ball around the knees when necessary. At the same time, he is effectively wild, hitting 19 batters but walking only 23 against 87 strikeouts in 89 innings last season. Six-foot seven and willing to come inside? That’s pretty intimidating. He probably doesn't have a lot of room to improve, but he should make quick work of the minors on his way to a big league rotation spot.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Major Leaguer

Lightbulb Re: 2006 Draft Projections

I wish I was 6 foot 7 inches.
    I'm a G!

Evil Emperor

Re: 2006 Draft Projections

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycarter05 View Post
    I wish I was 6 foot 7 inches.
    Your avatar makes me want to cry

Antonelli sounds interesting, but the pitcher sounds like a 3-5 rotation guy, which I guess wouldn't be bad to compliment Beckett, Papy, and Lester in the future. However these picks coudl go totally different, even if they predict right 1-26, the Sox could choose a dar-horse or no-name at 27/28 who turns into a Papelbon (drafted in 6th round).
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by riverside sluggers View Post
    I came upon this on scout.com of projections for the 1st round of the 2006 draft.

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/497341.html
    It doen't mention that Antonelli is from Peabody. He broke the Wake Forest record for walks in a season last year. He could be good.

www.soxprospects.com

we have had a significant amount of discussion about these guys on soxprospects.com if anyone wants to go check it out. it would be found in the 2006 draft thread.

Well I'm sure that Theo n friends will make the right decisions, so far there's been at least one stand out coming from every draft he's been apart of.
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

www.soxprospects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cityofchampions33 View Post
    Well I'm sure that Theo n friends will make the right decisions, so far there's been at least one stand out coming from every draft he's been apart of.
    1 stand out per draft is not going to cut it. each draft should have 3-5 players that stand out in order to make it a good draft. a team like the red sox with their financial resources should have the bests scouts in the game(which right now we do not) and that is why we are losing out on international talent. Theo's first two drafts have been mediocre as of right now. In 2003 they have only jonathan papelbon to show.(matt murton is the other standout i like and he is now a cub). 2004 brought pedroia and maybe if mike rozier shows something this year then maybe him. 2005 was obviously alot better but its very promising. In 2003 theo passed up the likes of Conor Jackson, Chad Cordero, Brandon Wood, Chad Billingsley, Daric Barton, Carlos Quentin to take david murphy with the 17th pick. lets not forget the guys like Adam Miller and Jarrod Saltalamacchia taken in the supplemental round. the point is the red sox with their financial resources should be scouting, drafting and signing 3-5 very good players that will stand out in each draft. now this past years draft was impressive with the top 5 draft picks showing success at their minor league stints.

This is my rifle....

FWIW, when Theo inherited the farm, it was pretty depleted, so he passed up on all those high-ceiling high school guys in favor or more polished college players. The idea was to fill up the higher levels as quick as possible. Moss and Murphy, while it's very unlikely that they'll become stars, are very likely to become solid MLB regulars. Prior to 2003, there was very little prospective talent that fit that category in AA and AAA for the Sox. As the higher levels fill up, the Sox can take more shots on Bowden and Egan types.

Quote Originally Posted by jsinger121 View Post
    1 stand out per draft is not going to cut it. each draft should have 3-5 players that stand out in order to make it a good draft. a team like the red sox with their financial resources should have the bests scouts in the game(which right now we do not) and that is why we are losing out on international talent. Theo's first two drafts have been mediocre as of right now. In 2003 they have only jonathan papelbon to show.(matt murton is the other standout i like and he is now a cub). 2004 brought pedroia and maybe if mike rozier shows something this year then maybe him. 2005 was obviously alot better but its very promising. In 2003 theo passed up the likes of Conor Jackson, Chad Cordero, Brandon Wood, Chad Billingsley, Daric Barton, Carlos Quentin to take david murphy with the 17th pick. lets not forget the guys like Adam Miller and Jarrod Saltalamacchia taken in the supplemental round. the point is the red sox with their financial resources should be scouting, drafting and signing 3-5 very good players that will stand out in each draft. now this past years draft was impressive with the top 5 draft picks showing success at their minor league stints.
    Oh yeah, totally agreed, but I guess it's a lot better then what the Duke was giving us.

www.soxprospects.com

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat View Post
    FWIW, when Theo inherited the farm, it was pretty depleted, so he passed up on all those high-ceiling high school guys in favor or more polished college players. The idea was to fill up the higher levels as quick as possible. Moss and Murphy, while it's very unlikely that they'll become stars, are very likely to become solid MLB regulars. Prior to 2003, there was very little prospective talent that fit that category in AA and AAA for the Sox. As the higher levels fill up, the Sox can take more shots on Bowden and Egan types.
    moss was drafted pre theo. from what i have been told theo wanted to draft conor jackson but david murphy was pushed on him by a scout so they took him instead.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by jsinger121 View Post
    moss was drafted pre theo. from what i have been told theo wanted to draft conor jackson but david murphy was pushed on him by a scout so they took him instead.
    I forgot Moss was a HS draft pick from 2002, but it is irrelevant to my point. Look at the 2002 draft class and the 2003 draft class, and you will notice a marked shift in the number of college vs. HS players taken in the first few rounds. Conor Jackson is better than Murphy (even their college numbers show that). Sometimes scouts are wrong.

www.soxprospects.com

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat View Post
    I forgot Moss was a HS draft pick from 2002, but it is irrelevant to my point. Look at the 2002 draft class and the 2003 draft class, and you will notice a marked shift in the number of college vs. HS players taken in the first few rounds. Conor Jackson is better than Murphy (even their college numbers show that). Sometimes scouts are wrong.
    and theo listened to bad advice. conor jackson would have given the redsox a legit 1B prospect something that this system does not have.

All-Star

That would be great if the sox got Antonelli. I saw him play with the Falmouth Commodores over the summer along with Dallas Buck and they're both really good.

www.soxprospects.com

Lastings Milledge had a homer, double and single in the Mets' intrasquad game. He has grown into a beast, and if you watch the Mets-Puerto Rico game on ESPN Sunday, you'll see three great prospects: Milledge, RHP Mike Pelfrey and OF Fernando Martinez, a 17-year-old outfielder and potential superstar whom the Mets signed away from Boston. His Fenway Park workout is legendary.