Register now to remove this ad

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677
Results 1,141 to 1,154 of 1154

Thread: Official NHL Thread

Re: Official NHL Thread

Not a fan of trading Byfuglien. Pretty much the only real physical player on the Hawks. Completely dominated Game 5 in the Finals and came up huge a number of times in the postseason. The only player on the Hawks who was capable of containing Pronger, IMO.

Plus, without any fear of retaliation, Kane is going to get bullied around next year.

I understand the need to dump salary, but I would have much rather parted with someone like Troy Brouwer over Big Buff.
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper;559876;
    I understand the need to dump salary, but I would have much rather parted with someone like Troy Brouwer over Big Buff.
    Sure...if the cap hit for both players was even close to similar. You don't think the Hawks FO would've rather dumped Brouwer? It's the reality of the salary cap world, especially for the Hawks who were really walking a fine line. Toews' $1.3 million bonus against the cap for next season for winning the Conn Smythe didn't help either.

Okay, my bad. I wasn't sure how much Brouwer was making. Brian Campbell's ungodly contract has really complicated things. Good all-around player, but so not worth that kind of money.
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Versteeg is gone now, too. My favorite player on the Hawks. Fuck Stan Bowman. Dale Tallon doesn't get nearly enough credit for the job he did here; he was the true architect of their success. Stan is no Scotty, that's for sure.

And now Andrew Ladd is gone. Sweet.

RIP Probie

He put a lot of hard miles on his body.

That's why I could never do drugs. Even if you're able to deal with the addiction, that shit still fucks you up physically.
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    -John Belushi

Kovlchuck gets 17 year deal.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

17 years? I don't watch hockey but that guy must be pretty damn good.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

All-Star

So, Kovalchuk will earn $6 mil each of the next two seasons, $11.5 mil for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 mil for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 mil in 2019-20, $3.5 mil in 2020-21, $750,000 the following season and $550,000 for the final 5 years, he will remain on the books through the 2026-27 season. Ridiculous.

27 years old + 17 years…7+7 = 14, carry the 1…3+1 = 4…yep, he’ll be 44 years old when this contract is up – but don’t be fooled. The brilliance of the NHL & their collective bargaining agreement shines once again as yet another superstar inks a front-loaded contract & exploits the salary cap rules. The CBA says that cap hits are determined by the average salary over the duration of the deal, which means teams can sign superstars under these terms & pay them, say, $10 million for the first few years yet only have a portion count against the cap. Towards the end of the deal, the final couple of years could be something like $1 million per – so when Kovalchuk is closing in on 40, this will allow the Devils to buy him out and save themselves the next 5 years of the $6 million/year hit. Win/win. Kovalchuk gets paid, Devils get one of the top wings in the game while leaving enough room on the books to put together a Cup team.

All-Star

NHL rejects Kovalchuk's contract, it will take time to have it redone, lots of complex attributes to that deal

Wow, Bowman may not be able to re-sign Niemi.

EPIC FAIL. It's so awesome when championship teams are disassembled...

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper;564392;
    Wow, Bowman may not be able to re-sign Niemi.

EPIC FAIL. It's so awesome when championship teams are disassembled...
    Didn't know Niemi was a FA. How could they not bring him back?

Quote Originally Posted by msubulldogs21;564415;
    Didn't know Niemi was a FA. How could they not bring him back?
    Because former GM Dale Tallon left the Blackhawks very deep in the red.
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    -John Belushi

Disgraceful. Niemi is gone. Turco is a decent replacement, but how the hell do you not resign the netminder who won you the Cup?!!! Like I said, disgraceful.