Register now to remove this ad

Thread: A Lordly Good Afternoon One and All...

A Lordly Good Afternoon One and All...

First post from this devoted Boston Red Sox fan in London. Followed the Sox for about 7 years, and became truly devoted on 28 May 2000 when our UK Baseball programme showed the Pedro v Clemens game in the Bronx... hooked from then on. Now I get two games a week on DVD and subscribe to the channel that shows the Sox more than any other team!

Old enough to know better, young enough to be still enthused, the ambition is still to come over there some time and see the boys in action, although rumours being rumours, we may get an MLB game over here next year.

Looking forward to listening and learning, while pretending not to know nearly enough to tell our masters about their own sport.

Any of you want to know anything about cricket, I'm your man!

Cheers all.

www.soxprospects.com

Re: A Lordly Good Afternoon One and All...

welcome to talksox

Welcome to Talksox. An educational thread about cricket would certainly be interesting.

Welcome aboard !

Damn...check out the far reaches of the WWW. Welcome aboard...I'd love to hear a little about cricket...the closest I've ever come to London is getting wasted off yards of beer at the England pavillion inside Epcot Center

Speaking off...how about the creation of a drunk smiley?

Welcome to Talksox.
    I don't ever wanna see the Red and Blues again. :blink:

Cheers for the welcome folks.

One day, I'll try to explain the rules of cricket, but for this Englishman, I find some of the baseball rules a bit tricky to understand - the infield fly rule for instance - and when does a foul tip become a foul ball - e.g on 0/1 strike you foul tip, you are not out if caught, but the catcher can catch you in foul ground?

Great to see us win last night - reviewed the recording this morning before I went to work - and we have the third game on NASN (not NESN!) tonight as well, before that channel concentrates on the Substandard Series in the Bronx.

There is London Boston Red Sox group, that meets in the Sports Cafe near Piccadilly Circus for live games, as the faith spreads far and wide. Whenever NASN has a viewers choice (where we get to pick what game to watch) the Red Sox always wins hands down when we are in the shortlist - the faith is far and wide.B)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Armand Lynch View Post
    Cheers for the welcome folks.

One day, I'll try to explain the rules of cricket, but for this Englishman, I find some of the baseball rules a bit tricky to understand - the infield fly rule for instance - and when does a foul tip become a foul ball - e.g on 0/1 strike you foul tip, you are not out if caught, but the catcher can catch you in foul ground?
    The infield fly rule was put into place to prevent infielders from purposely dropping pop-ups to get double plays. For example, if you have runners on second and first with no outs and the guy at the plate hits a pop up in the infield, the infielder could allow the pop-up to drop, then proceed to throw onto third and second for a DP. The infield fly rule prevents this.

As for the foul tip rule, it counts as a strike if the ball is hit out of play, or directly into the catcher's mitt, but with two strikes if a foul tip is caught by the catcher it counts as a strikeout. If dropped, it simply counts as a foul ball.

Hope that helps. :dunno:

This is my rifle....

Aloha, and it's nice to nice to have someone from across the pond join the forum.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout & Samuel Smith's Lager are heaven in a bottle.