Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stoic Mr. Torre

The Stoic Mr. Torre

For years it has bothered me when announcers would comment about Joe Torre that he was such a settling influence on the bench, how he didn't panic, how you can't tell by looking at him if his team is up by 10 or down by 10. I always felt that was media hype and BS. Sure it was easy for him to remain even-keeled. His teams were always stacked and he was always in first place. During the Blue Jays' 3rd inning today, they showed a picture of the Yankee bench. Torre was looking so dejected with is hat on the back of his head. I really didn't need to know the score to know that the Yankees were losing badly. He looked like he had a big steaming pile of shit under his nose. Oh wait... he did. Sidney Ponson. Between the blubbering crying jags and his dejected demeanor on the bench the last couple of years, I really don't think Torre is such a calming influence.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star

Re: The Stoic Mr. Torre

He looked like he had a big steaming pile of shit under his nose. Oh wait... he did. Sidney Ponson.
    Thanks for that line. I needed a good laugh.:lol:

It must suck being Torre these days. He’s done a good job patching together a team that has had a rash of serious injuries. But to see his team stoked with all of that talent flounder with its pitching woes and A-Rod’s issues must be a real punch in the gut.

I'd give Torre a punch in the gut any day. I hate that man.
    "MasterCard: Proud new owner of 95% of New England and 50% of Dennis Leary's nuts." :lol:

AL Champions- 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1946, 1967, 1975, 1986, 2004
    World Champions- 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004

regardless of his demeanor, it seems that he has decreased his nose picking which is definitely a positive. I wonder if he went to NPA (Nose Pickers Anonymous).

Admitting you have a nose-picking problem is the first step...and now he seems to be on the road to recovery.

good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by rician blast View Post
    regardless of his demeanor, it seems that he has decreased his nose picking which is definitely a positive. I wonder if he went to NPA (Nose Pickers Anonymous).

Admitting you have a nose-picking problem is the first step...and now he seems to be on the road to recovery.

good for him.
    Anyone ever notice A-Rod is always touching his nose (especially when things go wrong). Always looks like he wants to pick but he remembers at the last second he is probably on the screen after his error.

ARod always scrunche sup his face after he makes an error, thank god Mussina finally caleld him out
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

Super Moderator

Hm, someone explain the episode where Mussina called out A-Rod please. I have not yet heard of this.

I love how the Yankees wanted A-Rod to focus on his hitting yesterday by putting him at DH. He proceeds to go 0-4 with 4 K's :lol:

Good ol' A-Rod. Playing DH/3B for the Red Sox, while in a Yankee uniform

Quote Originally Posted by schillingouttheks View Post
    Hm, someone explain the episode where Mussina called out A-Rod please. I have not yet heard of this.

I love how the Yankees wanted A-Rod to focus on his hitting yesterday by putting him at DH. He proceeds to go 0-4 with 4 K's :lol:

In trhe post game interview, Mussina was less than supportive of ARod. He said something to the effect that he did not know what was wrong with him, but they needed him to be the way he used to be.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star

!MUY BIEN SENOR SOMBRERO ORO!

Quote Originally Posted by SchillingIsTheNatural View Post
    Anyone ever notice A-Rod is always touching his nose (especially when things go wrong). Always looks like he wants to pick but he remembers at the last second he is probably on the screen after his error.
    :lol: Nose scrunch. YES.

I don't think Mussina threw Rodriguez under the bus, more like he didn't exactly help him avert it. When asked if A-Rod's error opened the doors or something along those lines, Mussina basically didn't disagree and said he didn't know what was going on but A-Rod needs to step it up. It was said out of frustration, and Mussina definitely showed he's behind A-Rod later.
    "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." - Satchel Paige

A Click a Day

Quote Originally Posted by schillingouttheks View Post

What I saw on ESPN was that Mussina was asked if ARod's errors effected the outcome of the game, and his response was "Yes."

I didn't see anything more than that.

Evil Emperor

For years it has bothered me when announcers would comment about Joe Torre that he was such a settling influence on the bench, how he didn't panic, how you can't tell by looking at him if his team is up by 10 or down by 10. I always felt that was media hype and BS. Sure it was easy for him to remain even-keeled. His teams were always stacked and he was always in first place. During the Blue Jays' 3rd inning today, they showed a picture of the Yankee bench. Torre was looking so dejected with is hat on the back of his head. I really didn't need to know the score to know that the Yankees were losing badly. He looked like he had a big steaming pile of shit under his nose. Oh wait... he did. Sidney Ponson. Between the blubbering crying jags and his dejected demeanor on the bench the last couple of years, I really don't think Torre is such a calming influence.
    Get a life and put your obsession/crush for the Yankees to rest. It's absolutely pathetic how jealous one can be.

Not only that, but its also pathetic how stupid one could be. MEdia hype and bs? It's a fucking observation, not a theory. An observation is something that you see, not something made up. It's true, Joe Torre is virtually emotionless. Now in his 11th season as Yankee manager I can only recall a handful of times where Joe's emotions were very visible. Those instances are so few and far between. To say that his reputation as a calming influence is media hype is absolutely ridiculous; open your fucking eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6 View Post
    Get a life and put your obsession/crush for the Yankees to rest. It's absolutely pathetic how jealous one can be.
    We're jealous of the fact that you have the highest paid player in baseball on your team, and he's playing awful? Or are we jealous of the fact that 90% of our fanbase doesn't hate our best player like yours does with your best?

did frank torre die yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6 View Post

Not only that, but its also pathetic how stupid one could be. MEdia hype and bs? It's a fucking observation, not a theory. An observation is something that you see, not something made up. It's true, Joe Torre is virtually emotionless. Now in his 11th season as Yankee manager I can only recall a handful of times where Joe's emotions were very visible. Those instances are so few and far between. To say that his reputation as a calming influence is media hype is absolutely ridiculous; open your fucking eyes!
    Well, if Torre wasn't upset about getting pounded on Sunday, then he must have been sitting too close to that big steaming pile of shit, Ponson.

As far as your comments about getting a life and accusing me of being obsessed with the Yankees, let me remind you that it is you, a Yankee fan, that is a member of a Red Sox message board. You wouldn't catch me on a Yankee board. So, who is obsessed with whom, you worthless little dickwad?