Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AL MVP: did Jeter and Morneau tie?

Deity

Re: AL MVP: did Jeter and Morneau tie?

Mauer > Morneau.

I'm just glad Jeter didn't win.

Justin Morneau had a fantastic season and is deserving of the award. David Ortiz was more deserving with his game winning hits and huge power numbers. With the game on the line there is nobody you want at the plate more than David Ortiz. That speaks volumes. He probably won't ever win an MVP but he will go down as one of the deadliest hitters of all time for the Boston Red Sox.

Derek Jeter had a good season....but everyone on the Yankees had a good season. Everyone is talking about how they can't see Morneau being the MVP of his team but when you have Mariano Rivera, Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon, Robinson Cano, Mike Mussina, and Ching Meing Wang....how can you say Derek Jeter is the MVP of the Yankees?? Same argument.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Reasons to Hate Us;207292;
    Not pitiful, but below par for him.

16 RBIs in both Aug and Sept. as opposed to months like 20, 28, 22, and 35 in Apr.-July.

Also, a late Aug/early Sept stretch where he missed 8 straight games doesn't help.

Anyway it's a moot point because morneau won it outright per espn radio.
    His heart condition might have had something to do with his August production being down.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

if youre looking for a reason for papis psuedo decline look no further than the absense of the 4 hitter over the end of the year

he wont be the same guy without manny

Deity

but whoever they get should be better with Papi hitting 4th. Move him to clean-up.

The guy who voted Jeter as 6th was on with M&MD today. The guy was pathetic and clearly had no idea what he was talking about.

audio: http://podcast.wfan.com/wfan/49495.mp3

Super Moderator

I just listened to it. I disagree with the fact that Ortiz being ahead of Jeter is "ridiculous," but it's a moot point now.

But yeah, that guy had no idea what he was talking about. By his reasoning, voting Dye second went basically against what he was saying. Using his reasoning, Ortiz should have been second.

Kudos to JM for winning. Nice to see a solid young player get it. AS far as I am conserned, and i´m not trying to be bias here honestly. No NYY player should get the MVP with the lineup hitting around them. Of course Jeter will have a hi BA every year. Being that he has little to no power, of course pitchers will give him more to hit then say Giambi or AROD. Like Papi said `put those numbers up in our lineup.´People gave him shit for saying that but bottom line no matter who you route for you have to say it makes sense. Jeter is avg. SS who got a GG because of his reputation. And is mainly a singles, some doubles a few HR hitter, who gets a fair amount of RBI because of the lineup around him. Don´t get me wrong even tho i´m a sox fan, Jeter has been a great Role model for baseball for the last decade, but as i´m glad to see the voters realized hes not an MVP with the supporting cast he has. JM had Mauer and Hunter to help out, the rest where role players, unknowns, decent players in all but not the All Stars surrounding Jeter.

This guy is a fucking retard. (The interviewee)
    9-11-01 FDNYPD We will not forget.
    Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean you need to make retarded arguments.

Post Re: AL MVP: did Jeter and Morneau tie?

I have to applaud Joe Cowley (the White Sox beat writer for the Chicago Sun-Times, no relation to the former major league pitcher) for not voting for Derek Jeter because he's Derek Jeter and therefore he must be MVP.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Reasons to Hate Us;207288;
    Probably because his team (and his own play to a degree) tailed off the last couple months of the season. If he had hit all those GW HRs and 2Bs in September instead of July he might have had a chance.
    Ummm...the award is the most VALUABLE player. I think Jeter should have won it, due to his phenomenal VORP rating over Morneau, but I can see why Morneau won it. It's not like it was highway robbery, but I think he should have won. Either way, the MVP should go at the very least to a team that made the playoffs. For that reason, Pujols should have won over Howard. If it's going to be for having the best season, it should be called the Ted Williams award or something like that.

Seriously, how valuable can a player be if his team is not one of the remaining eight? No offense to Ortiz, who should have won last year, but he shouldn't have won this year. His team didn't make it to October. Just my two cents...
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."