Register now to remove this ad

Thread: ウう

ウう

BOSTON -- Whether it's opening a new gaming company in a Boston suburb or brushing up on his American history and artifacts collection, Curt Schilling never lacks for things to keep him busy in the offseason.

But this winter, the Red Sox ace has another interest in mind that he hopes will help him in the upcoming season.

With the signing of lefty reliever Hideki Okajima and the ongoing talks to ink ace Daisuke Matsuzaka, Schilling is learning Japanese.

"I didn't realize what we had coming our way and when I did, I wanted to make sure that both of them have someone on the staff -- that they at least know -- who is going to make an effort to be able to communicate out there," said Schilling.

Schilling has opened a new gaming company called Green Monster Games in a 30-thousand square foot building in Maynard, Mass. The new business mogul said Saturday during "Christmas at Fenway" that he has a new appreciation of just how big Dice-K could be in Boston.

"I didn't realize how big of a deal this kid is," Schilling said. "He is literally a national symbol in Japan and a hero, and having been in Japan and played over there, you don't really get a grasp or a realization of how big baseball truly is over there."

Catcher Jason Varitek will have the responsibility of speaking another language with Matsuzaka if the right-hander takes the hill for Boston every fifth game.

"I've had [Mac] Suzuki in Seattle when I first broke in and we came up in the Minor Leagues together when he didn't know any English, and then he became a very good friend and a teammate," Varitek recalled.

"Here, I've had Nomo and Ohka. Nomo was extremely quiet and probably understood more than he said. We've had quite a bit [of Japanese players]. It's not like it's a first. Baseball is still its own universal language. We're going to have to do a lot to communicate and learn the differences in the baseball language in Spring Training to allow us to make those adjustments during the season," he added.

Varitek realizes how much of an impact Matsuzaka could have on the Sox staff.

"It'll be good," the captain said. "Pitching is such a key. Everyone hears me all the time -- that you can't win at the next level without and get to the postseason without quality pitching. To add somebody like a Matsuzaka to our staff is going to do nothing but help, but they still have to get that done and make sure it is done." During Saturday's event, Schilling, Varitek and manager Terry Francona joined teammates Kason Gabbard, Manny Delcarmen, Julian Tavarez and bench coach Brad Mills in answering questions from fans and signing autographs in the State Street Pavilion.

Holiday blessing: To Red Sox manager Terry Francona, there is no doubt what he remembers most about the busy happenings of the last week, a week that included the additions of big bats in J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo.

"There's no doubt that the news that Jon Lester is doing well and his cancer is in remission was the best news I've heard," Francona said. "When I spoke to him over the phone and he started telling me about his strength and that he's doing well, it was just real emotional for me."

Schilling echoed those sentiments Saturday.

"I'm just ecstatic," the right-hander said. "We're going to start a throwing program together on [December] 15th."

Father time: Schilling was asked by a young fan why he was retiring at the end of the 2007 season.

"I'm ready for it to be over," he said. "I want to win another World Series and I want to walk away healthy."

Give 'em a break: Varitek, who hasn't seen much of Drew in action, knows enough that the Valdosta, Ga., native will give his all when he arrives at Fenway Park.

"He's a born East Coast guy so he's not a West Coast guy trying to play on the East Coast," Varitek said. "That's definitely a bonus. Not knowing his personality, but the way he plays the game, if you play the game right, you're going to fit in here. You hustle, you run out balls, get dirty and you're accountable for what you do on that field, he's going to fit in just fine."

Not knuckling under: Varitek would not rule out the possibility of catching Tim Wakefield in 2007 but said the team is still trying to get a deal done to bring back the knuckleballer's personal catcher, Doug Mirabelli.

"None," Varitek replied when asked if he had spoken formally with the team about catching Wakefield. "I think it's too early to even present that, but depending on what happens and what they do, we'll discuss that whenever it needs to be."

And finally: Red Sox players weighed in on the ongoing Manny Ramirez saga, all feeling that Ramirez will be back in a Red Sox uniform in 2007.

"I think they're all rumors," said Julian Tavarez, Ramirez's closest friend on the team. "I've seen Manny one time so far this offseason. It's about 10 minutes away from my house in Florida. He was there with his wife and was just playing with his kids. We don't say much about baseball. It was about three weeks ago.

"Manny never stops working out. I think since it's baseball, Manny says one thing and they make it a big thing. I don't take Manny serious. I've known Manny for 15 years already and Manny's always been like that."

"It's been this way," added Varitek. "The good thing is you have 120 to 150 RBIs you can count on. That's hard to replace because he's been the best right-handed hitter in my tenure."
    Someone translate the title.

All-Star

ウうウうウうウうウうウうウうウうウうウうウうウう

You need some ammo?

Re: ウう

boston.com
    "Honestly, I'm learning Japanese," said Schilling, who plans to start his throwing program Friday, with Jon Lester. "I'm trying to learn a little bit of the language because I've gone to play winter ball in foreign countries and not known the native language and it's an incredibly uncomfortable experience. I'm sure he's going to have an entourage of people to help him adjust, but there's nothing like your teammates making an effort."
    good to know he's learning japanese :lol:

Re: ウう

I don't remember typing someone translate.....