Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dice-K

Re: Dice-K

i doubt that they understand a single syllable
    who were the 2 asin pitchers in pawtucket that had a fist fight in the dugout maybe 10 years ago??
    sunny kim and i think ohka??

no one broke it up
    no one knew what happened

man you guys r rough , anyone catch seizemores' catch last night, didd'nt he make a beauty against us Wed.?

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred;257120;
    Schill, this old war horse learns something new every day. Thanks for the heads-up. I just never noticed here before.
    That's cuz I'm all stealth and shit. Or, just cuz I only post sometimes. :lol:

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dougn;257134;
    man you guys r rough , anyone catch seizemores' catch last night, didd'nt he make a beauty against us Wed.?
    :lol: Did you just pull your own thread off topic?

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by schillingouttheks;257168;
    :lol: Did you just pull your own thread off topic?
    :blink: :lol: :lol: That's awesome.

Hey Dice-K....
    Pitching is just like cooking.....too many walks/woks can lead to the runs.

Although doesnt pertain to yesterday, funny nonetheless.

All-Star

The guy has pitched great all season long and let's hope he keeps it up.
    1903,1912,1915,1916,2004,2007 World Series Champions

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray10;323144;
    The guy has pitched great all season long and let's hope he keeps it up.
    He's walked 5.97 batters per 9 IP. Six walks per game. He's been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;323149;
    He's walked 5.97 batters per 9 IP. Six walks per game. He's been lucky.
    o ya? well fuk ur stats listen to thiz;

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by Remember the Titans;323157;
    o ya? well fuk ur stats listen to thiz;
    Blasphemy.

That said, let's examine Matsuzaka's stats more closely.

W-L: 5-0

Cheez, that's pretty good. Winning games results in postseason eligibility, and Boston wins games with Daisuke Matsuzaka pitching. That's gotta mean something.

ERA: 2.43

How can one fault an ERA of 2.43 from a starting pitcher? :dunno:

Regardless of anything else, these first two stats mark Matsuzaka as an elite starting pitcher in 2008.

xFIP: 5.08

Through either the skill of defenders behind him or great situational pitching, Dice-K has prevented half of the runs that might have been expected to score, given his batter-by-batter pitching results.

DER: .819

An average DER is .700. Matsuzaka has been lucky that his fielders have done so well for him.

Stats are good things. Let us not disparage them. :thumbsup:

JHB I'm pretty sure that guy just bitch slapped your way of life and thats all you come back with?

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan#1;323163;
    JHB I'm pretty sure that guy just bitch slapped your way of life and thats all you come back with?
    The full truth is usually a strong position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk Bill;323164;
    The full truth is usually a strong position.
    :angry: nerd

Sabermetrics, is the Scientology of baseball. It all started in a tiny, airless, room, where the guy who got picked last in Little League, perfected his revenge. This handy guide will help clear up the wildest misconceptions spread by this extremely annoying and exceedingly irrelevant cult.

Definition.
    Sabermetrics is also known as, long winded pointless dissertation, insufferable boors with calculators, or guys with pocket protectors. If you're like me, you don't need to know the equation for cracking oil to figure out you got a batch of bad gas in your car. Or live near the Devil Rays or Royals, to realize beauty might be skin deep but bad goes all the way through.

Humor.
    Sabermites believe they have a sense of humor. Sadly, it can only be expressed mathmatically.

Reality.
    Using pseudo-algebraic conclusions to describe the infinite intangibles of great baseball is like using cement to describe Mozart. Abstract baseball minutia stacked like pancakes doesn't get around the real consistent opinion voiced by those who watch baseball daily and this churns the guts of Sabermites.

Initialize.
    Acronyms sow maximum confusion. Sabermites concoct bewildering thickets of initials around feeble wild BLEEP guessing. EqA's are as likely to stick a homemade shank in VORP's as they are to end up drunk at Bill James annual Christmas party where King Herod's win shares always make trading for the baby Jesus look silly.

Equate.
    Never allow anyone near the prime equation of sabermetrics, A+B=Shut the Hell Up. This is sports for math club members.

Gross Tonnage.
    The complicated formula for "Hey that guy just bunted the runner to second..." would fill this entire page. SABER stat-bot hysteria amply illustrates the "Star Trek Factor," now that Kirk's too fat to worship, Sabermites invented an arcane statistical abstract to replace dialectic Klingon arguments that made their life worth living...

Strength of Nattering (SON).
    Sabermite's tirelessly redefine everything in SABER-speak, until, the non-SABER person drops from exhaustion or retreats to a sport like ice curling.

Value.
    According to SABER dogma, a single just isn't worth a double. Take that Ty Cobb, you BLEEP because 75% of your hits aren't all that and a bag of SABER chips.

Slide Rule
    Its not, never slide head first, its never attend a game of baseball without a slide rule, so you'll have something to look at.

Worship the Stat Gods
    Barry Bonds is a perfect example, the thought of losing all those succulent steroid drenched numbers sends the average Sabermite into a slobbery, mad dog, frenzy. They would rather chew off the non-math lobe of their brain than let go, or admit, that Barry might indeed be full of nincomBLEEP.

What Can You Do?
    I know the answer to every problem is "sing a song" but if organizing a world wide series of concerts is beyond your grasp, try these simple SABER killing phrases:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
    Albert Einstein

"The last time I checked baseball is best played on a field and not on a calculator."

"People who count don't."

refute that

Quote Originally Posted by Remember the Titans;323190;
    :angry: nerd

Sabermetrics, is the Scientology of baseball. It all started in a tiny, airless, room, where the guy who got picked last in Little League, perfected his revenge. This handy guide will help clear up the wildest misconceptions spread by this extremely annoying and exceedingly irrelevant cult.

Definition.
    Sabermetrics is also known as, long winded pointless dissertation, insufferable boors with calculators, or guys with pocket protectors. If you're like me, you don't need to know the equation for cracking oil to figure out you got a batch of bad gas in your car. Or live near the Devil Rays or Royals, to realize beauty might be skin deep but bad goes all the way through.

Humor.
    Sabermites believe they have a sense of humor. Sadly, it can only be expressed mathmatically.

Reality.
    Using pseudo-algebraic conclusions to describe the infinite intangibles of great baseball is like using cement to describe Mozart. Abstract baseball minutia stacked like pancakes doesn't get around the real consistent opinion voiced by those who watch baseball daily and this churns the guts of Sabermites.

Initialize.
    Acronyms sow maximum confusion. Sabermites concoct bewildering thickets of initials around feeble wild BLEEP guessing. EqA's are as likely to stick a homemade shank in VORP's as they are to end up drunk at Bill James annual Christmas party where King Herod's win shares always make trading for the baby Jesus look silly.

Equate.
    Never allow anyone near the prime equation of sabermetrics, A+B=Shut the Hell Up. This is sports for math club members.

Gross Tonnage.
    The complicated formula for "Hey that guy just bunted the runner to second..." would fill this entire page. SABER stat-bot hysteria amply illustrates the "Star Trek Factor," now that Kirk's too fat to worship, Sabermites invented an arcane statistical abstract to replace dialectic Klingon arguments that made their life worth living...

Strength of Nattering (SON).
    Sabermite's tirelessly redefine everything in SABER-speak, until, the non-SABER person drops from exhaustion or retreats to a sport like ice curling.

Value.
    According to SABER dogma, a single just isn't worth a double. Take that Ty Cobb, you BLEEP because 75% of your hits aren't all that and a bag of SABER chips.

Slide Rule
    Its not, never slide head first, its never attend a game of baseball without a slide rule, so you'll have something to look at.

Worship the Stat Gods
    Barry Bonds is a perfect example, the thought of losing all those succulent steroid drenched numbers sends the average Sabermite into a slobbery, mad dog, frenzy. They would rather chew off the non-math lobe of their brain than let go, or admit, that Barry might indeed be full of nincomBLEEP.

What Can You Do?
    I know the answer to every problem is "sing a song" but if organizing a world wide series of concerts is beyond your grasp, try these simple SABER killing phrases:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
    Albert Einstein

"The last time I checked baseball is best played on a field and not on a calculator."

"People who count don't."

refute that
    Thanks for paying me the compliment of constructing a post such as this because responding to my positions is beyond your grasp!

But enjoy the game anyway...while understanding analysis of the game can enrich the fan's experience, one need not understand algebra and such to enjoy the Boston Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk Bill;323200;
    Thanks for paying me the compliment of constructing a post such as this because responding to my positions is beyond your grasp!

But enjoy the game anyway...while understanding analysis of the game can enrich the fan's experience, one need not understand algebra and such to enjoy the Boston Red Sox.
    ok but taht still doesnt refute my point that stats dont mean shit.

u never played the game so u dont kno ask dave delluci ultimate gamer wether stats matter. darin erstad suks if u look at the numbers but he brings intanglibles to the table wat does barry bonds bring? nothing cept clogging the bases up. did u ever play football at nebraska? or no about team chemistry nope,