Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Picking

To be fair to all members of talksox, I am going to announce the time that teams can be picked. On Friday, September 24th at six (6) o'clock PM, you can post in this thread saying what team you want, with a few conditions.

For running the league, Noah automatically gets possession of the cubs.

The Red Sox, since this is a Red Sox fan site, will be chosen by a random drawing. Post in the "I want the Red Sox" thread to be entered. If you enter in that thread, you should still pick a team here, because you may not get it. If you pick a team here and win the sox, you can choose which team you want and the other will be open for the taking.

Trading and such can start immediately, but the first games will not be simmed until the REAL red sox season is over, whenever that may be. I will be posting a team list shortly that I will update so we know what teams are available. Again, team requests before Friday at 6 will NOT be honored.

Teams:
    New York AL-
    Boston- RedSox24 aim:TruckTer69
    Baltimore-mannyformvp04
    Tampa Bay-
    Toronto- soxfan#1
    Minnesotta-radgeta aim:radgeta
    Chicago AL-Yankees Suck ben5515
    Cleveland- yagmaster aim:nomar850
    Destroit-chuebacca25 chuebacca25
    Kansas City-Gertie aim:rentsregkire
    Oakland-stocker323 aim:devildots51101
    Anaheim-
    Texas-Youkilis Rules aim:redsock212
    Seattle-
    Atlanta-dirtdogman5
    Florida-DOrtiz4Prez
    Philadelphia-Shadow29
    New York NL-Bonds*
    Montreal- RedSox4538
    St. Louis-yankshater213 aim:YanksHater213
    Chicago NL-Noah
    Houston-ACL Bosox
    Cincinnati-papi4prez aim:sylvy721
    Pittsburgh-yankusjeter69
    Milwaukee- wakkknuckle04aimWitz1020
    Los Angeles- yankeessuck013
    San Franciso-Element1151 aim:Element1151
    San Diego-elsrbueno
    Colorado-Choakland4LifeAim:BlueNemesis77
    Arizona-CrespoBlows aim:amartin7889

Yeszir,
    forgive me for not knowing a lot about how this works exactly, but I have the following questions:

How many teams will this league have? Do you expect 30 owners?

If you don't get 30 participants, will the other teams be run by the computer? If so, how will trading with the computer work? If we get, say, 20 owners, and the other teams don't get claimed, will their players become free agents?

How do Free Agents work? Is there a salary cap? Does salary even come into play?

Thanks.

els
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

I am hoping to get 30 owners, but it is definitely possible that the league won't fill up. If it doesnt, then yes, the remaining teams will be turned over to the computer until a new owner comes along to take over.

Free agents work exactly like in real baseball. You can sign them, but only if you have enough money. There is no salary cap, just like in real baseball, and salaries do come into play. You may have to trade away your star pitcher because you cannot afford him.

If you have any other questions, by all means ask.

How does trading with the computer work?
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Originally posted by elsrbueno@Sep 22 2004, 04:43 PM
    You can propose a trade to the computer. The AI is pretty good, so it won't be making any stupid trades, so don't worry about that. As far as the computer initiating trades, I'm not sure... you'd have to ask Noah, who will be running the league. He'll start posting around here soon.

Originally posted by yeszir+Sep 22 2004, 04:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeszir @ Sep 22 2004, 04:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno@Sep 22 2004, 04:43 PM
    You can propose a trade to the computer. The AI is pretty good, so it won&#39;t be making any stupid trades, so don&#39;t worry about that. As far as the computer initiating trades, I&#39;m not sure... you&#39;d have to ask Noah, who will be running the league. He&#39;ll start posting around here soon. [/b][/quote]
    Cool. This should be pretty fun. In high school I got addicted to the Baseball Mogul games and played them deep into the night. That was ALL trading against the computer, so including some personality into it should be awesome. I&#39;ve never seen OOTP, but it&#39;s hopefully similar?

looking forward to getting this going&#33;

Originally posted by elsrbueno+Sep 22 2004, 04:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elsrbueno @ Sep 22 2004, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by yeszir@Sep 22 2004, 04:45 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno
    @Sep 22 2004, 04:43 PM

You can propose a trade to the computer. The AI is pretty good, so it won&#39;t be making any stupid trades, so don&#39;t worry about that. As far as the computer initiating trades, I&#39;m not sure... you&#39;d have to ask Noah, who will be running the league. He&#39;ll start posting around here soon.
    Cool. This should be pretty fun. In high school I got addicted to the Baseball Mogul games and played them deep into the night. That was ALL trading against the computer, so including some personality into it should be awesome. I&#39;ve never seen OOTP, but it&#39;s hopefully similar?

looking forward to getting this going&#33; [/b][/quote]
    OOTP, particularly version 6, is baseball mogul times a million times better.

Originally posted by yeszir+Sep 22 2004, 05:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeszir @ Sep 22 2004, 05:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by elsrbueno@Sep 22 2004, 04:55 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno

You can propose a trade to the computer. The AI is pretty good, so it won&#39;t be making any stupid trades, so don&#39;t worry about that. As far as the computer initiating trades, I&#39;m not sure... you&#39;d have to ask Noah, who will be running the league. He&#39;ll start posting around here soon.

OOTP, particularly version 6, is baseball mogul times a million times better. [/b][/quote]
    4 quotes in one, is this a record? lol

Originally posted by YanksHater213+Sep 22 2004, 05:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YanksHater213 @ Sep 22 2004, 05:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by yeszir@Sep 22 2004, 05:08 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno

4 quotes in one, is this a record? lol [/b][/quote]
    No.

All-Star
    Originally posted by yeszir+Sep 22 2004, 06:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeszir @ Sep 22 2004, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by YanksHater213@Sep 22 2004, 05:55 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno

No. [/b][/quote]
    You guys are crazy (he he he). By the way, I am still considering signing up. I&#39;m not positive yet.

Originally posted by Zenny+Sep 22 2004, 06:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Zenny @ Sep 22 2004, 06:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by yeszir@Sep 22 2004, 06:39 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno

No.
    You guys are crazy (he he he). By the way, I am still considering signing up. I&#39;m not positive yet. [/b][/quote]
    im winning now, losers&#33;

Originally posted by YanksHater213+Sep 22 2004, 09:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YanksHater213 @ Sep 22 2004, 09:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Zenny@Sep 22 2004, 06:51 PM
    Originally posted by yeszir@Sep 22 2004, 06:39 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno

No.

You guys are crazy (he he he). By the way, I am still considering signing up. I&#39;m not positive yet.
    im winning now, losers&#33; [/b][/quote]
    This looks cool so I kept it going.

I&#39;m going to check out OOTP&#39;s site sometime soon, see what it&#39;s all about.

Yeszir, if I&#39;m not going to be on a computer Friday @ 6, what&#39;s the process for team picking?

Thanks

Just, post&#33; First come first serve for teams... In this thread.

Major Leaguer
    I want to be the twins yo.
    QUOTE (Noah @ Nov 15 2004, 09:14 PM)
    We had another meeting and decided. Rad is too cool to let go of.
    GM of the California Angels
    2004 91-74. 2005 51-30

Originally posted by Radgeta@Sep 23 2004, 05:01 PM
    I want to be the twins yo.
    Too bad. Come back when we can pick teams and pick the twins then.

Welcome to the site though.