Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Talk Sox league?

Super Moderator

Re: New Talk Sox league?

I'd try it again, but EVERY member has to pick a team BEFORE we start up, and every manager has to have at least 500 posts to participate. Since Sabermatters brought the idea up, he's obviously an exception.

What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by schillingouttheks;314890;
    I'd try it again, but EVERY member has to pick a team BEFORE we start up, and every manager has to have at least 500 posts to participate.
    What say you?
    I think that 500 posts is the exact place for the lower limit for participation. As always, I am impressed by your wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk Bill;314893;
    As always, I am impressed by your wisdom.
    :lol: Good one.

Super Moderator

Ouch, or lol?

Quote Originally Posted by schillingouttheks;314896;
    Ouch, or lol?

LOL. You're the man. :thumbsup:

Super Moderator

:lol:

Says the man with 502 posts. I jest JHB. I suppose I'll participate. Could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;314910;
    Says the man with 502 posts.
    Well, 503 now...but it was fewer when I thought that 500 posts was the perfect idea.

Can someone explain what a sim league aaaaaaaaaactually is? If what I'm picture is what it actually is, it sounds like a lot of fun. I want to get a real idea for it though before I commit to anything.

Banned

I have a few versions. I like OOTP5 the best. Plus, it's free. The other option would be Diamondmind. That would allow us to actually play the games head to head online. OOTP will have a central player.

I favor Diamondmind, but it's an investment in cash. If free, OOTP is the way to go. I had a pretty good setup, so it would take me about a week to get it going.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOfSoxNation;314915;
    Can someone explain what a sim league aaaaaaaaaactually is? If what I'm picture is what it actually is, it sounds like a lot of fun. I want to get a real idea for it though before I commit to anything.
    You pick teams of preranked players, meaning they are given designated stats, for example Josh Beckett would be 10-8-10, with those 3 numbers representing stuff, control, and movement. Every player has thsose numbers, for hitters it's like contact, power, and i believe gap power. Anyway, every sim you submit lineups, after you make trades, sign FAs in needed, promote/demote players in your minors and let them develop as well. I've been in a few and they get really fun if they are well managed and long term, it'd be a lot easier to run on this site with everyone, so trades will be made easier.

I'm definetly down for an ootp league. ootp6.5 is definetly the most complete IMO

EDIT: And I definetly agree with the 500 post minimum. I've been in a lot of leagues and 15-20 active GMs (or more) is way way better than trying to fill up the whole league and getting inactive people.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

I'd play.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

This is my rifle....

How's this work? From the sounds of things it's like fantasy, but instead of real performance, it's run through a diamond mind like simulator. Is this correct?

If that's the case, I'd be interested. Of course, I'd like to know more about how it runs the sims. Are we talking depth to the point of considering split stats (platoon batting), park factor, day/night factor, modern runs-based stats, defensive ability, etc?

Heres an example of an OOTP league website: http://netsportssimm.com/

That's one I've been in for a very long time and it's very well run (has to be to last 25+ sim years). You won't be able to recognize any of the players since all the 'modern' players have since retired.

The OOTP software is great and really indepth. All things from drafting players, setting ticket prices, LH/RH splits, to BABIP in relation to defense, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?