Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Red Sox Nation? What a bunch of %$@& that is." -- Hank Steinbrenner

Banned

Re: "Red Sox Nation? What a bunch of %$@& that is." -- Hank Steinbrenner

Quote Originally Posted by SchillingIsTheNatural;315284;
    Its funny but a lot of Giants fans came out of the holes they live in and gave me a load of shit about them beating the Patriots.

...turns out several of them are NY Jets fans. I think about Jets/Giants fans the same way I think about Mets/Yankee fans....they are bandwagon fans.....root for whoever is winning.
    I think that's because the majority of Jets fans are SEVERE Pat's haters. The fact that is was another NY team that beat the Pats made them giddy.

I'm a diehard Yankees fan, but there were some years, in the late 90's, I watched almost as many Mets games in September. When the Yankees have the pennant all but clinched in the first week of September [I think they clinched one year in AUGUST], and the Mets are fighting tooth and nail with the Braves, it was just more interesting. By that token, I watched more Mets/Phillies/Rockies/Padres/Diamonback games the last weekend of baseball than I did the Yankees. Doesn't mean I root for them. There is something about elimination games that just gets me going.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by VandaleIndustries;315175;
    [thread jack]
    Gotta chime in on this one... I've NEVER understood the two team people. I'm a Red Sox fan (first and foremost), Pats fan, Celtics fan, and I've boycotted hockey ever since the strike and rule changes designed to gain the casual fan while pissing off the die hards (but before then, when it was a great sport, I was a Bruins fan).

Why the HELL is anyone allowed two teams in any one sport? Seriously! I have to say, I don't understand it. I root for my teams, and my teams only. If I'm not watching my team, and I am just watching a game to get a sports fix, I will root for a good game, or maybe an individual player (case in point, i went to a Rangers and Tribe game last year with a good friend of mine who's an Indians fan, and I certainly cheered for Trot, cause I still like that guy and he was part of something very special to me).

You're not allowed to have 5 teams per sport just to make sure your heart isn't broken by the end of the season! Your team either wins, or loses. You will rarely be happy, but take comfort in misery. That's sports!
    [/thread jack]
    Agreed. Pick one team and hate the rest. Otherwise, you risk being seabeachfred.
    Gil Hodges for the HOF

While I don't root for 2 teams in sports I really care about and have a hometown rooting interest, I find I'm rooting for 2+ teams in college basketball/football, since I don't have one particular team.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;316226;
    While I don't root for 2 teams in sports I really care about and have a hometown rooting interest, I find I'm rooting for 2+ teams in college basketball/football, since I don't have one particular team.
    I need a home town rooting interest too. Having lived in Colorado for 15 years I could only watch the Red Sox 15 or so times a year in the regular season and I needed a baseball fix... so I'd watch the Rockies -- you watch a team enough you'll grow to care about 'em. Especially one that, while not particularly good ever (until this past year), hustled and tried harder than any team out there. That's why I root for two teams... when the two met in the World Series this past year, there was no doubt as to who I'd cheer for. I didn't want to see the Rockies win a single game... I looked at them as I had the Indians and Angels before them in the playoffs.
    ""There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards... and ours is currently reading 'fucked'." -- Ari Gold, Entourage